DDP and SSP on Secondhand Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it’s legal or not, stories like this will inevitably be bad for Lucid’s word of mouth. Everybody who has this happen to them is going to tell more people about how “messed up” their situation is. Not what Lucid needs right now at all.

I am new to the forum and in the process of trying to buy a lightly used AGT from a v reputable premium brand non Lucid dealer …. I have learnt a lot from this thread, thanks all.
Until reading this I had also assumed the Monroney Label represented features and functions, and now I am more informed I asked for the original sales agreement for the car ….. the dealer got back to me and stated they do not have access to it. On the back of this I emailed Lucid to acquire about a VIN , and got the following response ….

“Hello David,
Thank you for your interest in Lucid Air!
While I cannot discuss specific pre-owned vehicles/VINs with anyone other than a registered owner directly, should you be interested in purchasing a NEW Lucid Air, I would be happy to chat with you and arrange a test drive at a Studio or Event near you.

Best regards,
C**********”

given this, how would a buyer verify the spec of a used Lucid vehicle?

My wife told me that if she sees me one more time posting replies to the forum at 2am, she is taking away my iPad.
My Wife says similar but I usually take the 2:00 am & 3:00 am doggie potty duties so I usually just grab my phone while I'm waiting for them to finish up.

Whether it’s legal or not, stories like this will inevitably be bad for Lucid’s word of mouth. Everybody who has this happen to them is going to tell more people about how “messed up” their situation is. Not what Lucid needs right now at all.
But Lucid hasn't done anything wrong though. Folks should be careful here.

Why is everyone that screws up, then become of victim?? And looking for a deep pocket to blame. No one wants to admit they messed up. I looked at that this car and the deal looked hinkey. Something did not add up. I walked away.

I disagree with your blaming Lucid here. Lucid did nothing wrong. You ignore the fact that there were TWO subsequent transactions AFTER Lucid sold the car and was no longer privity to the deals. Who knows what the hell the first owner said or didn't say to the Chevy dealer, and who knows what the Chevy did for due diligence, if anything. Guessing that the Chevy dealer thought they were getting a great deal they could flip for thousands. And the deal was too good to be true.

It's not rocket science to know that you cannot make any assumptions buying a used car.

My God, it was a brand new car, a month or so old, 300 miles, sold by a little old Chevy dealer in the middle of nowhere!! If that doesn't raise suspicions, and call for extreme due diligence, I don't know what would.

You are correct that the situation is messed up. But who failed to act appropriately in this expensive but unusual purchase? Not Lucid, it was never involved and appears to have never been consulted.

Last edited:
Wow, 20 years on the Audi forums and all we talk about there are brake pads and coolant leaks. Everything is different now.....

I am new to the forum and in the process of trying to buy a lightly used AGT from a v reputable premium brand non Lucid dealer …. I have learnt a lot from this thread, thanks all.

1. I believe AGTs came fully loaded. No trials. Is that correct AGT owners?
2. Have the dealership call Lucid. The dealership is the registered owner. Lucid told me they would only put the car in my name buying from a dealer, if I gave them a BoS, my DL, plus the Dealers state license number. Was told by CS that Lucid often deals with dealers. Was warned that dealers never do software updates. Fascinating that Lucid insisted I was buying from a licensed registered Dealer.
3. After the dealer calls Lucid, get them to put the options on the pro forma invoice.

1. I believe AGTs came fully loaded. No trials. Is that correct AGT owners?
2. Have the dealership call Lucid. The dealership is the registered owner. Lucid told me they would only put the car in my name buying from a dealer, if I gave them a BoS, my DL, plus the Dealers state license number. Was told by CS that Lucid often deals with dealers. Was warned that dealers never do software updates. Fascinating that Lucid insisted I was buying from a licensed registered Dealer.
3. After the dealer calls Lucid, get them to put the options on the pro forma invoice.
1. Not all of them. In the beginning, yes, but eventually they started selling a version of the AGT with the trials for both features, as a way of lowering the price.

1. Not all of them. In the beginning, yes, but eventually they started selling a version of the AGT with the trials for both features, as a way of lowering the price.
I think most of these are the 2023 model AGT's.

Thanks @joec . Your comment just reenforces the requirement that the registered owner/ car dealership needs to call Lucid to get the correct option status and put that info on the pro forma. Takes out all the risk.

Thanks @joec . Your comment just reenforces the requirement that the registered owner/ car dealership needs to call Lucid to get the correct option status and put that info on the pro forma. Takes out all the risk.
As more cars at the secondary market, this will become a bigger problem. I truly believe that the easiest solution is for Lucid to indicate whether the car is in trial version (and, if so, the end date) or in full version directly on the pilot panel.

As more cars at the secondary market, this will become a bigger problem. I truly believe that the easiest solution is for Lucid to indicate whether the car is in trial version (and, if so, the end date) or in full version directly on the pilot panel.
Amen, brother.

I think now that they've implemented the actual trial ending into the software, they could and should go ahead and do this. Any car on 2.1.2 must know now whether it is in trial or not. And it likely knows the trial end date. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to set it to deactivate these features. So it's a matter of making that information visible to the owner.

I always hesitate to use the word "easy" around software development, but this should not be a big undertaking, unless the way they've implemented the trial expiration is really odd. (Famous last words.)

Of course you still have the problem of cars that haven't been updated to whichever version makes this visible. But prospective buyers should always insist the car is updated to the latest software prior to purchase, in any case.

Of course you still have the problem of cars that haven't been updated to whichever version makes this visible. But prospective buyers should always insist the car is updated to the latest software prior to purchase, in any case.
While I agree in principle, Lucid customer service WARNED ME that dealers NEVER EVER update and that they were sure mine was several behind. Lucid CS pushed all the updates out to me so I could do them in unison when the car arrived. When mine rolled off the trailer, mine was 3 or 4 behind (don't remember exactly - spent the damn night doing it). I could see third party dealers NOT wanting to take the risk and possibly brick the car. I sort of dont blame them - if the car runs great, why risk doing something TO A STRANGE AND UNFAMILIAR CAR that could cause it to not be running?

I think when Lucid put the car into a "Test Drive" mode, from then and there, the home screen shows it. And maybe the same status screen shows EXPIRED TRIALS. My Adobe software does that.

In my experience, thinking about second owners has never been high on the pecking order for manufacturers. Audi never gave a rats ass, except to get you in for stealership service or to buy a new one.

Please read my post from several days ago about the Monroney Label. It is not just a “sticker” but a required document by government regulation of what is on the vehicle. What Lucid has done with these shenanigans is violate the regulations regarding disclosure of included items on the vehicle. This is going to be a serious problem for Lucid as this poster indicates.

DDPro and SSPro are "on" the vehicle. Whether they are active or not via software is a different question. The Monroney label has only ever covered hardware equipment because it was created during a time where software was not really a thing on cars, especially not subscription-based or fee-activated functionality. As others mentioned, satellite radio has been on cars for a long time on Monroney labels even if you don't pay for it.

GPS has also been on labels but you've never been promised free updates for the maps either simply because the label had it.

This isn't "shenanigans" and it's not going to be a "serious problem". Your purchase agreement is what matters.

They weren't being purposefully deceitful (I think) but they did explicitly present the car as having both DDP and SSP on their online listing.

The problem you're having I think is you are conflating the car having the hardware, and whether the car has the extended software functionality enabled. The car has the ability to provide DDP and SSP in the same way that a car that claims to come with SiriusXM Satellite Radio has the ability to provide premium features.

You took the risk buying outside of Lucid. You bought from a second-hand dealership who did their best to provide what information they had, and they had the original Monroney label.
Did you pay more than you should have? Maybe. Is it entirely on you? Sorry, but yes. You saw the listing, you saw a "good deal" price, and you went for it. Common sense for every consumer is that when buying something not from the original source, you do your research to find out exactly what it is you're getting.

This would solve all the confusion related to this issue, and it should be a really easy update. Actually, they should have put this in an update before even going to this marketing strategy.

Why is everyone that screws up, then become of victim?? And looking for a deep pocket to blame. No one wants to admit they messed up. I looked at that this car and the deal looked hinkey. Something did not add up. I walked away.

I disagree with your blaming Lucid here. Lucid did nothing wrong. You ignore the fact that there were TWO subsequent transactions AFTER Lucid sold the car and was no longer privity to the deals. Who knows what the hell the first owner said or didn't say to the Chevy dealer, and who knows what the Chevy did for due diligence, if anything. Guessing that the Chevy dealer thought they were getting a great deal they could flip for thousands. And the deal was too good to be true.

It's not rocket science to know that you cannot make any assumptions buying a used car.

My God, it was a brand new car, a month or so old, 300 miles, sold by a little old Chevy dealer in the middle of nowhere!! If that doesn't raise suspicions, and call for extreme due diligence, I don't know what would.

You are correct that the situation is messed up. But who failed to act appropriately in this expensive but unusual purchase? Not Lucid, it was never involved and appears to have never been consulted.
I salute you sir!

Here's a question for you; do you have the actual purchase contract? And does that purchase contract explicitly say what the car comes with? Honest question.

A Monroney label is not a purchase contract, it's a required document to be attached to any brand new car sold and presented to the first owner.

Until reading this I had also assumed the Monroney Label represented features and functions, and now I am more informed I asked for the original sales agreement for the car ….. the dealer got back to me and stated they do not have access to it. On the back of this I emailed Lucid to acquire about a VIN , and got the following response ….

“Hello David,
Thank you for your interest in Lucid Air!
While I cannot discuss specific pre-owned vehicles/VINs with anyone other than a registered owner directly, should you be interested in purchasing a NEW Lucid Air, I would be happy to chat with you and arrange a test drive at a Studio or Event near you.

Best regards,
C**********”

By talking to the original owner...which, if you're buying it through a dealer, the dealer should be doing.

Of course Lucid isn't going to go telling you details about a car just because you provided a VIN, what kind of insane privacy violation would that be if you could just do that with any VIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back