Cost to own and maintenance of EV vs. ICE

Thinjake

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, Genesis GV80
This will be my first EV and besides the obvious of not needing to pay for gas, what other costs are eliminated? Or go down? Are there costs that go up?

For instance:
  1. No need to buy gas....obvious
  2. no oil changes
  3. No need for mufflers
  4. No spark plus or tune ups or timing belts
  5. Brakes....with regen, are brakes replaced less frequently?
  6. tires...assuming same wear and tear?
  7. what else?
Are there other costs/maintenance I need to be aware of? Inspecting batteries? Lubrication anywhere? I am sure there are many things I haven't even considered.

Thanks in advance!

I’d say tire wear and tear is actually a little worse with EVs. Heavier car means faster tire wear.

The only fluid I’ve had to think about with my Tesla has been windshield wiper fluid.

Also, having fewer hoses, moving parts, etc. really does mean fewer things to go bad on you. Maintenance has basically boiled down to tire rotation and alignment. And that’s about it.

And don’t forget tax breaks and incentives for EVs.

Well, depending on how it goes, your taxes will most likely go up compared to ICE vehicles. Looks like many states are pushing for higher registration costs, just read about Texas fee is equivalent to 25k miles @ 12mpg.

Maintenance on an EV is a lot like maintenance on a cell phone, plus occasional tires and wiper fluid.

Well, depending on how it goes, your taxes will most likely go up compared to ICE vehicles. Looks like many states are pushing for higher registration costs, just read about Texas fee is equivalent to 25k miles @ 12mpg.
Well, I live in Texas so not happy about extra fees/taxes, but we are not paying gas sales tax that states are use to, so I guess that it's fair but should be based on milage driven?

That would make sense but right now the current proposal is penalizing EV owners

Well, I live in Texas so not happy about extra fees/taxes, but we are not paying gas sales tax that states are use to, so I guess that it's fair but should be based on milage driven?
There have been proposals that would tax EVs based on miles driven, as determined by an OBDII dongle, but no one wants that watching over them.

Yea I personally have no issue paying a higher fee for registration. Our gas tax in CA doesn't even cover the road maintenance as is...kind of silly really

“General fund,” yea…gas tax does absolutely nothing in Sonoma county. We are given the same amount of $ as Marin county, and have more than double the amount of miles worth of roads..it’s a joke.

This will be my first EV and besides the obvious of not needing to pay for gas, what other costs are eliminated? Or go down? Are there costs that go up?

For instance:
  1. No need to buy gas....obvious
  2. no oil changes
  3. No need for mufflers
  4. No spark plus or tune ups or timing belts
  5. Brakes....with regen, are brakes replaced less frequently?
  6. tires...assuming same wear and tear?
  7. what else?
Are there other costs/maintenance I need to be aware of? Inspecting batteries? Lubrication anywhere? I am sure there are many things I haven't even considered.

Thanks in advance!
From owner’s manual,
Maintenance Schedule

The scheduled maintenance or service must be performed in accordance with the chart below to keep your vehicle in top operating condition.

The service intervals in this maintenance and service schedule are based on average driving conditions. Some items will need more frequent service if you drive in unique conditions, such as unusually wet or dusty areas. For recommendations applicable to your individual needs and usage, consult your Lucid Service Center..

NOTE: Bring your charging cable and all key fobs with you to every service appointment to be checked during the multi-point inspection.

Maintenance ItemsEvery 1 year or 12,000 milesEvery 2 years or 24,000 milesOther
Multi-point inspection
Tire rotation and tire balance (19 inch wheels only)
Cabin air filter replacement (2)More often under unique conditions
Brake fluid replacementMore often under unique conditions
Key fob battery replacement
Sun visor battery replacement
Wiper blade replacement
Air conditioning performance check
Battery heath check
12V Battery replacement (2)Every 4 years or 48,000 miles
Tire repair sealant replacementEvery 5 years or 60,000 miles
Coolant checkEvery 3 years or 36,000 miles

There are also going to up front costs for an EV. Most people end up with a level 2 home charger and outlet. It’s a one time fee, but something to keep in mind as well for your first EV

Honestly, I don't care that much about the maintenance costs. I just LOVE electric power. Smooth, powerful and instant.

It is nice not to have to go to a dealer for routine service as often.

Back