Confused - PPF + Ceramic or Ceramic Only

EVSRCali

Verified Owner
DE Number
Sometimes seems like Lucid has awesome quality paint so do we really need PPF + Ceramic, or just a good multi layer Ceramic coating is good enough. Most of folks here went full on and done PPF + Ceramic. What are the downsides if one just did the Ceramic, and no PPF? My reason is to have the original paint look. Have owned multiple cars, and never done PPF, only Ceramic and have not experienced any major dings or dents. Thanks!

Ceramic coating is primarily to provide a nice shiny surface and make the car much easier to wash and dry. This assumes the detailer first prepares the paint surface appropriately (clay bar, polishing, etc.). PPF is primarily for protection of the paint surface from small rock chips, minor scrapes, etc. Detailer will first prepare the paint surface, then apply the PPF, and then apply the ceramic coating. If you choose to just get ceramic coating and no PPF, your car will look good and be easy to wash, but will be subject to damage from small flying objects thrown off by other cars/trucks such as small pea gravel, sticks, etc. PPF is not a guarantee you won't still get some blemishes, but it does help prevent the minor ones. Quality PPF won't change the "original paint look".

Ceramic coating is primarily to provide a nice shiny surface and make the car much easier to wash and dry. This assumes the detailer first prepares the paint surface appropriately (clay bar, polishing, etc.). PPF is primarily for protection of the paint surface from small rock chips, minor scrapes, etc. Detailer will first prepare the paint surface, then apply the PPF, and then apply the ceramic coating. If you choose to just get ceramic coating and no PPF, your car will look good and be easy to wash, but will be subject to damage from small flying objects thrown off by other cars/trucks such as small pea gravel, sticks, etc. PPF is not a guarantee you won't still get some blemishes, but it does help prevent the minor ones. Quality PPF won't change the "original paint look".
As a shop owner - this gives me the warm fuzzy feeling on the inside.

Sometimes seems like Lucid has awesome quality paint so do we really need PPF + Ceramic, or just a good multi layer Ceramic coating is good enough. Most of folks here went full on and done PPF + Ceramic. What are the downsides if one just did the Ceramic, and no PPF? My reason is to have the original paint look. Have owned multiple cars, and never done PPF, only Ceramic and have not experienced any major dings or dents. Thanks!
I did both. The car is so low to the ground lots of things can kick up and nick it. Neither PPF nor ceramic change the color. Wish I had done it on my other cars.

I wasn't planning on ppf or ceramic, but after only 1000 mi of driving, I had a nice stone chip in the middle of my hood. Since my AGT is white, the underlying dark primer really stood out, so I had them do ppf on the leading surfaces, along with touch up painting the chip. Then did ceramic on the entire vehicle, as it was only about $2000 more.
The whole deal was around $5000 but now I'm relatively safe from gravel and it's soooo shiny!

I appreciate all of the information in this thread. Received my car 2 weeks ago and have largely hid it in the garage. Taking it in to get complete PPF tomorrow (Xpel) . I really struggled with deciding on going with regular or matte. The local PPF shop (Fresno, CA) had a number of high end cars currently in for wrapping and really like the look of the matte.
Haven't seen any with matte wrap in the wild. Would love to hear thoughts from those who may have seen one and get your thoughts?

I appreciate all of the information in this thread. Received my car 2 weeks ago and have largely hid it in the garage. Taking it in to get complete PPF tomorrow (Xpel) . I really struggled with deciding on going with regular or matte. The local PPF shop (Fresno, CA) had a number of high end cars currently in for wrapping and really like the look of the matte.
Haven't seen any with matte wrap in the wild. Would love to hear thoughts from those who may have seen one and get your thoughts?
Thread 'Quantum Grey Matte PPF' https://lucidowners.com/threads/quantum-grey-matte-ppf.1678/

It really depends on the color, imho. On a Zenith Red, it would take all the depth out of the color. On a black or grey, it might work nicely.

Personally? I’m not a fan of it on the Lucid. But @abbas2099 has a matte black wrap so perhaps he can post some of his photos and you can decide for yourself.

Back