Compilation of silly battery/charging questions for first time EV buyers

nasilemak

Preconditioning
1. Learnt about pre-conditioning and it seems like there is a function to do it from panel for 20 minutes? Source. Is this how everyone is doing it?
2. Roughly how big of a difference in terms of charging speed if you don't precondition?
3. Can you plug in and set the battery to precondition and charge itself when its ready?

Chargers
1. Seen many threads on this and people asking about "best charger" and "waiting for lucid charger". Is the stock charger pretty much crap? Everyone has to fork money to buy better charger like JuiceBox and ChargePoint?
Every Lucid vehicle comes with the Lucid Mobile Charging Cable, which charges up to 64 kilometers of range per hour of charge. Just plug it into a typical household NEMA 5-15 outlet, or get faster charging if you have NEMA 14-50 outlets — and you’re ready. Source: https://www.lucidmotors.com/en-ca/charging
2. How realistic is this with people raising issues about not getting 350W?
With 900V+ architecture, it’s the fastest EV charging system available – able to fill up to 350 km of charge in about 15 minutes
3. I seen plenty praises about Lucid has the best charging speed compared to other EV. Does this mean with the same charger, it chargers faster on a Lucid vs Tesla etc.? Or it's more about the charger itself?
4. The stock charger is not a smart charger. Does it matter much? Can the car itself handle "schedule charging etc." and provide charging data to the app?

Question for current Lucid owners in regards to battery/charging:
1. What are some general concerns that you have? How it is currently affecting your day-to-day since your Lucid ownership?
2. What are some surprises that you found out after getting your Lucid?
3. What are some things that you did not expect especially for first time EV owners? Reality vs Expectations and based on your general knowledge on EV.

Resources
1. I see a lot of threads like these and curious if mods can keep the first post of the FAQ updated? Thanks in advance.
2. Where do people go to to stay up to date on EV knowledge?

Preconditioning
1. Learnt about pre-conditioning and it seems like there is a function to do it from panel for 20 minutes? Source. Is this how everyone is doing it?
2. Roughly how big of a difference in terms of charging speed if you don't precondition?
3. Can you plug in and set the battery to precondition and charge itself when its ready?

Chargers
1. Seen many threads on this and people asking about "best charger" and "waiting for lucid charger". Is the stock charger pretty much crap? Everyone has to fork money to buy better charger like JuiceBox and ChargePoint?

3. I seen plenty praises about Lucid has the best charging speed compared to other EV. Does this mean with the same charger, it chargers faster on a Lucid vs Tesla etc.? Or it's more about the charger itself?
4. The stock charger is not a smart charger. Does it matter much? Can the car itself handle "schedule charging etc." and provide charging data to the app?

1. What are some general concerns that you have? How it is currently affecting your day-to-day since your Lucid ownership?
3. What are some things that you did not expect especially for first time EV owners? Reality vs Expectations and based on your general knowledge on EV.

Resources
1. I see a lot of threads like these and curious if mods can keep the first post of the FAQ updated? Thanks in advance.
Preconditioning
1. Yes, from the pilot panel under the charging tab, recommended to pre-condition roughly 20 minutes prior to getting to a DCFC
2. Not sure, but it should be healthier for your battery in the long-term
3. No you cannot

Chargers.
1. Stock charger is fine, people just like to keep it in the car. Personally, I'd rather leave it in the car as well and not worry about packing it up and taking it out every time I need to charge. Plenty of chargers out there that work great, JuiceBox, Chargepoint, WallBox, Electrify America, Grizzl-E, etc
2. 350kW vs 150kW, only difference is if you are under 50% SOC and can attain those speeds, then it's a difference of 4 minutes. If you charge like some YouTubers who go as low SOC% as possible to 50% then a 350kW will be faster...by not really all that much time, but over many charges it could be significant time lost.
3. It does have the highest charging speed, but it does drop off dramatically compared to the Taycan which can hold a high charge rate for longer.
4. It matters for people who have TOU plans where charging at night is significantly cheaper. For SoCal Edison, our TOU cheap rates start at 9pm for the plan I am on, so it's no big deal for me to go plug in at 9:05 and just unplug in the morning. YMMV depending on your situation and utility plans. Scheduled charging to be coming in a future update

Questions
1. None, no significant issues with charging or battery usage or anything really
2. Not much, works like it's supposed to minus the scheduled charging ability from car. Chargepoint HomeFlex fixed that problem
3. Did lots of research about EVS, but nothing will prepare you for how convenient is for day to day to have an EV and charge at home

Resources
1. Will try and bolster the FAQ
2. The interwebs. Everything online is 100% factual right? In all seriousness, watching prominent YouTubers like Tom Moloughney and talking to various forum members who willingly share their own research

When the battery is cold and has not been pre-conditioned, the charge rate will be very slow until the battery is warmed up. The car will begin warming the battery when you plug in and then will ramp up the charge rate as the battery warms. You do not have to do anything. Just expect that the charging session will take longer.

Questions I’ve always been curious about: Why does the Lucid owners manual say to plug the car in at night especially when it’s cold? If the charger isn’t charging, is the Lucid drawing charge from the wall?

When the battery is cold and has not been pre-conditioned, the charge rate will be very slow until the battery is warmed up. The car will begin warming the battery when you plug in and then will ramp up the charge rate as the battery warms. You do not have to do anything. Just expect that the charging session will take longer.
Does driving for hours on a trip, precondition the battery? Ready to plug and charge when stopping at EA?

Does driving for hours on a trip, precondition the battery? Ready to plug and charge when stopping at EA?
Driving somewhat helps but it really depends on the outside temperature. If it is cold out, it will help to precondition the battery. The best battery temperature for DC fast charging in the 80's.

bumping for visibility. also, i just realized that i can't edit my main post to include more questions lol

bumping for visibility. also, i just realized that i can't edit my main post to include more questions lol
He answered your question
Driving somewhat helps but it really depends on the outside temperature. If it is cold out, it will help to precondition the battery. The best battery temperature for DC fast charging in the 80's.

Questions I’ve always been curious about: Why does the Lucid owners manual say to plug the car in at night especially when it’s cold? If the charger isn’t charging, is the Lucid drawing charge from the wall?
I don’t know the answer to that one either. It was 37 last night and I didn’t plug in and didn’t notice any issue, phantom drain was 1% overnight which is fine given how cold it was.

Preconditioning

Chargers

Resources
You can get answers to most of your questions by Following @baddriver20202 on Twitter. Also, @Tesla2Lucid posts some good stuff.

Back