Comments From Strangers

while it may seem like an innocent question to you both, i disagree. maybe it's my past experiences that led me to believe it. let's agree to disagree here.
Ok. I was just asking what the question was. Nothing in that original post gave me an indication. if it was asking if you were a Lucid Employee, I am perplexed as to how that could be considered even remotely racist. Since the cars are so rare (I have not encountered one yet in the EV Mecca of San Diego) I thought that was a logical question. Most rare cars are driven by employees first before the public has access. In fact, I would not know what race a Lucid employee would be perceived to be,

so i had an interesting interaction yesterday at an EA station yesterday. My wife and i were taking some pics while it's charging (second day of owning the car and never had a chance to see it under full sun), this older couple walked by and the guy complimented the car for its look and the next thing he asked me was whether i was a Lucid employee. I told him no and answered some questions about the car, his wife said they are interested in getting a Lucid themselves.

Shortly after they left, i realized the subtle racism in his comment. initially i gave him the benefit of doubt but the more i think about the conversation and his reaction, the more convinced i'm of the subtle racist question. would he have the same question if my wife and i were of a different race? probably not and my wife agreed. oh well. anyways, i thought i would share it here.
Oh please…let’s talk cars…

I have no idea if the person was being racist or not. I wasn’t there. But I think it was the wrong thing to ask regardless.

It’s like at tech conterences, when men ask the only two women who are there if they work in marketing. How about just asking them what they do, rather than assuming they can’t possibly be programmers?

It‘s entirely possible the person didn’t have bad intentions. But it’s still tiresome to the folks who are put in the position of wondering about people’s intentions so often.

If someone charging a Lucid at a charging station works for Lucid, they will volunteer that info. Or not, if they secretly work for Lucid. Either way, best to just ask them how much they like the car, and let them divulge whatever other information they wish.

Just a thought.
We don’t have enough facts here for sure…but let’s agree reducing every chance interaction to Race is not a productive default mode….and certainly isn’t a topic I’m here for….

I doubt this had anything to do with race, but more with the fact that none of these cars are seen in public yet. So he’s curious if you work for the company. I frequently have people ask me similar questions such as “how did you get one of these??” and I’m just a poor-looking white dude.

I doubt this had anything to do with race, but more with the fact that none of these cars are seen in public yet. So he’s curious if you work for the company. I frequently have people ask me similar questions such as “how did you get one of these??” and I’m just a poor-looking white dude.
Ditto this. Even had people ask me when I took the car to a local car meetup!

My car is always come home straight to garage, never parked in driveway. One day my neighbor just walked up to me and told me this. “I was curious what’s that new car you drove. I then search online and found out it’s a new electric vehicle. Anyway, I ended up buying Lucid stock, I hope that stock gets pumped, then I’ll take my profit and buy this car too.” 😳

No one here except the OP was at the scene so why are so many jumping to conclusions about the interaction. There are many, many subtle ways that one can demonstrate bigotry and assuming that a person of a minority background would not be able to own a Lucid could be such an instance; on the other hand, it could be that the individuals were aware of the Rivian policy and had absolutely no bigotry. WE JUST DON'T KNOW.

Every time I drive the Lucid I get overwhelming reactions from strangers. Sometimes it’s fun, sometimes a little embarrassing. Yesterday another dad at my kids’ school pulled up next to me in his gray MS and gestured to roll down the window, and then said “That is a BEAUTIFUL car!” Another driver at a light: “Wow, how long have you had that car!?” (Huh?). In downtown Denver three guys stood at the street corner taking photos as I sat at a light. Kids at the high school stop and stare every single time I drive on campus. A guy in my parking garage approached me to ask me “How do you like your Lucid? Is it fast? Is it better than the Tesla Model S?” Another guy at the grocery store said, “Is that car electric? It’s huge! And so cool looking? That windshield covers the whole roof!?” What’s interesting is that many people seem to have never heard of it. “What kind of car is that?” “It’s a Lucid Air,” I answer. “Cool! Who makes it?” This is a common exchange. Two takeaways: 1) Lucid made a very eye-catching car, and 2) it’s very refreshing to have the only one that anyone has ever seen. This will be a fun year for all of us!
I have the same experience, nearly every time I take the car out of my garage. Last time I charged the car at an Electrify America charging station someone asked permission to take pictures and FaceTime with a friend who had ordered a Lucid Air. I was fine with it. Mostly the praise is welcome, not often an annoyance.

I have no idea if the person was being racist or not. I wasn’t there. But I think it was the wrong thing to ask regardless.

It’s like at tech conterences, when men ask the only two women who are there if they work in marketing. How about just asking them what they do, rather than assuming they can’t possibly be programmers?

It‘s entirely possible the person didn’t have bad intentions. But it’s still tiresome to the folks who are put in the position of wondering about people’s intentions so often.

If someone charging a Lucid at a charging station works for Lucid, they will volunteer that info. Or not, if they secretly work for Lucid. Either way, best to just ask them how much they like the car, and let them divulge whatever other information they wish.

Just a thought.
The human mind doesn't work that way as most people have no idea we have two systems of thinking where the "lazy mind" generally runs wild, where the slower, more deliberate and logical mind takes effort and is frankly, exhausting.

We're all a product of the story of our own lives, with cognitive bias, instincts, and the inherent design of how it is. Check out Daniel Kahneman's work which will illustrate this.

So expecting others to think, act, or perform our way will never happen and accepting that will get you through life without being offended and a whole lot happier.

The human mind doesn't work that way as most people have no idea we have two systems of thinking where the "lazy mind" generally runs wild, where the slower, more deliberate and logical mind takes effort and is frankly, exhausting.

We're all a product of the story of our own lives, with cognitive bias, instincts, and the inherent design of how it is. Check out Daniel Kahneman's work which will illustrate this.

So expecting others to think, act, or perform our way will never happen and accepting that will get you through life without being offended and a whole lot happier.
Excellent insight.

So, what you're saying is that trying not to offend people is too exhausting, and thus we should put the burden on the other person not to be offended? That's a heck of a convenient way to let yourself off the hook for saying just about anything, no?

Taking offense is definitely a choice. And so is not just blurting out the first thing that pops into your head when you see someone. Society depends on us modulating our "inner monologue" all the time.

You are free to say whatever you like, in other words. But you can't dictate how others interpret it.

Seems to me that telling others "not to be offended" by me is expecting others to think, act, and perform my way.

Believe me, the last thing you want is for all the various people of various races around you to start saying whatever pops into their heads when they see you. That choice not to get offended would get pretty exhausting pretty quick.

Back