Comments From Strangers

Mountain Man

Cars
Lucid Air Dream P
Every time I drive the Lucid I get overwhelming reactions from strangers. Sometimes it’s fun, sometimes a little embarrassing. Yesterday another dad at my kids’ school pulled up next to me in his gray MS and gestured to roll down the window, and then said “That is a BEAUTIFUL car!” Another driver at a light: “Wow, how long have you had that car!?” (Huh?). In downtown Denver three guys stood at the street corner taking photos as I sat at a light. Kids at the high school stop and stare every single time I drive on campus. A guy in my parking garage approached me to ask me “How do you like your Lucid? Is it fast? Is it better than the Tesla Model S?” Another guy at the grocery store said, “Is that car electric? It’s huge! And so cool looking? That windshield covers the whole roof!?” What’s interesting is that many people seem to have never heard of it. “What kind of car is that?” “It’s a Lucid Air,” I answer. “Cool! Who makes it?” This is a common exchange. Two takeaways: 1) Lucid made a very eye-catching car, and 2) it’s very refreshing to have the only one that anyone has ever seen. This will be a fun year for all of us!

Every time I drive the Lucid I get overwhelming reactions from strangers. Sometimes it’s fun, sometimes a little embarrassing. Yesterday another dad at my kids’ school pulled up next to me in his gray MS and gestured to roll down the window, and then said “That is a BEAUTIFUL car!” Another driver at a light: “Wow, how long have you had that car!?” (Huh?). In downtown Denver three guys stood at the street corner taking photos as I sat at a light. Kids at the high school stop and stare every single time I drive on campus. A guy in my parking garage approached me to ask me “How do you like your Lucid? Is it fast? Is it better than the Tesla Model S?” Another guy at the grocery store said, “Is that car electric? It’s huge! And so cool looking? That windshield covers the whole roof!?” What’s interesting is that many people seem to have never heard of it. “What kind of car is that?” “It’s a Lucid Air,” I answer. “Cool! Who makes it?” This is a common exchange. Two takeaways: 1) Lucid made a very eye-catching car, and 2) it’s very refreshing to have the only one that anyone has ever seen. This will be a fun year for all of us!

For sure. The number of Teslas that have stopped to ask if it’s better than the Model S is insane.

For sure. The number of Teslas that have stopped to ask if it’s better than the Model S is insane.
The response is "yea that's why I'm driving this and not a Model S"

The only people who have commented on my car are my kids' classmates. And I've seen a couple groups of teens turn their heads and stare as we drove by. Not a single adult I know has said anything. People have checked it out the couple of times when I was at a public charger, but EV people love to talk EVs.

The only people who have commented on my car are my kids' classmates. And I've seen a couple groups of teens turn their heads and stare as we drove by. Not a single adult I know has said anything. People have checked it out the couple of times when I was at a public charger, but EV people love to talk EVs.
Probably haven't driven it enough to public places, but I agree. Every now and then I see someone take a second look. And on the roads, a few Teslas may want to get up closer. But overall, it's been pretty low key. I'm fine with that.

I've had people ask all the time when I'm in a public place. I showed my dad the car and then dropped him off at a restaurant. When I returned after parking he was have a long conversation with someone he didn't know about the car that he knew almost nothing about other than his first question - how much did this cost?

so i had an interesting interaction yesterday at an EA station yesterday. My wife and i were taking some pics while it's charging (second day of owning the car and never had a chance to see it under full sun), this older couple walked by and the guy complimented the car for its look and the next thing he asked me was whether i was a Lucid employee. I told him no and answered some questions about the car, his wife said they are interested in getting a Lucid themselves.

Shortly after they left, i realized the subtle racism in his comment. initially i gave him the benefit of doubt but the more i think about the conversation and his reaction, the more convinced i'm of the subtle racist question. would he have the same question if my wife and i were of a different race? probably not and my wife agreed. oh well. anyways, i thought i would share it here.

so i had an interesting interaction yesterday at an EA station yesterday. My wife and i were taking some pics while it's charging (second day of owning the car and never had a chance to see it under full sun), this older couple walked by and the guy complimented the car for its look and the next thing he asked me was whether i was a Lucid employee. I told him no and answered some questions about the car, his wife said they are interested in getting a Lucid themselves.

Shortly after they left, i realized the subtle racism in his comment. initially i gave him the benefit of doubt but the more i think about the conversation and his reaction, the more convinced i'm of the subtle racist question. would he have the same question if my wife and i were of a different race? probably not and my wife agreed. oh well. anyways, i thought i would share it here.
What did they ask that makes you think that?

I’ve been asked this question as well after I gave my opinion on the vehicle. The cars are few and far between and it’s well known that the first Rivians for example, were going to employees. I wouldn’t take it to heart or be too quick to jump to conclusions.

Could it be because Rivian let employees purchase before the public?

I think the questions I get comparing lucid to a model S are telling. The model S has been around long enough to be a reference point for people with even just a passing knowledge of EVs. When I tell them I drove model S s for 7 years and why I’m driving a lucid it really hammers the point home how much better this car is notwithstanding the software or charging network. The reaction I get when I open the frunk is also pretty funny “ yeah that’s a decent size” but wait ! There’s another deeper section! “ holy cow, you can get full sized luggage in there.

For better or worse, animal perception (and survival) depends on fitting observations instantly into a mental model of reality. I suspect that since Lucid cars are still quite rare, he guessed you might be an employee. The only driver of a Lucid Air I have spoken with was an employee, and I'm in EV ground zero in Silicon Valley.

Asking you if you work for Lucid is racist? Did it occur to you that this is what Rivian does for its employees and often people associate Lucid with Rivian?

Also could've been that you looked like you were dressed to be at work, or looked younger than he expected a Lucid owner. In any case, if it was a question based on appearance, I think you gently assisted in correcting his mental model.

Asking you if you work for Lucid is racist? Did it occur to you that this is what Rivian does for its employees and often people associate Lucid with Rivian?
I have no idea if the person was being racist or not. I wasn’t there. But I think it was the wrong thing to ask regardless.

It’s like at tech conterences, when men ask the only two women who are there if they work in marketing. How about just asking them what they do, rather than assuming they can’t possibly be programmers?

It‘s entirely possible the person didn’t have bad intentions. But it’s still tiresome to the folks who are put in the position of wondering about people’s intentions so often.

If someone charging a Lucid at a charging station works for Lucid, they will volunteer that info. Or not, if they secretly work for Lucid. Either way, best to just ask them how much they like the car, and let them divulge whatever other information they wish.

Just a thought.

I feel with as many questions I answer and conversations I have I’m actually an unpaid intern for lucid. My next gig might be to go door to door “ pardon me ma’am, but would you be interested in some literature about Lucid? Perhaps a moment of your time to discuss why Lucid is the preeminent EV?”

What did they ask that makes you think that?

while it may seem like an innocent question to you both, i disagree. maybe it's my past experiences that led me to believe it. let's agree to disagree here.

I’ve been asked this question as well after I gave my opinion on the vehicle. The cars are few and far between and it’s well known that the first Rivians for example, were going to employees. I wouldn’t take it to heart or be too quick to jump to conclusions.

Could it be because Rivian let employees purchase before the public?

For better or worse, animal perception (and survival) depends on fitting observations instantly into a mental model of reality. I suspect that since Lucid cars are still quite rare, he guessed you might be an employee. The only driver of a Lucid Air I have spoken with was an employee, and I'm in EV ground zero in Silicon Valley.

Also could've been that you looked like you were dressed to be at work, or looked younger than he expected a Lucid owner. In any case, if it was a question based on appearance, I think you gently assisted in correcting his mental model.
didn't know about Rivian. maybe it was an innocent question and i was overthinking it.

I have no idea if the person was being racist or not. I wasn’t there. But I think it was the wrong thing to ask regardless.

It’s like at tech conterences, when men ask the only two women who are there if they work in marketing. How about just asking them what they do, rather than assuming they can’t possibly be programmers?

It‘s entirely possible the person didn’t have bad intentions. But it’s still tiresome to the folks who are put in the position of wondering about people’s intentions so often.

If someone charging a Lucid at a charging station works for Lucid, they will volunteer that info. Or not, if they secretly work for Lucid. Either way, best to just ask them how much they like the car, and let them divulge whatever other information they wish.

Just a thought.
thanks. this x100.

i don't think i could've done a better job explaining it.

Back