Collision Avoidance - No braking?

chips

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Hello

I have a 2023 Lucid GT.

I have Collision avoidance turned on in dream drive with "early" notification/braking.

However, ever since I got the car, I ONLY get the loud audio/visual notification when I am about to hit the car in front of me. (like when the car in front
of me suddenly brakes or a car swerves into my lane). The car does not automatically emergency brake on its own. I have to slam the brakes
on my own to stop the car in time.

Is this the expected behavior? Isnt the car supposed to brake with this collision avoidance feature turned on? Or is the audio/visual warning all it does?

Frankly, even in manual driving, I thought the emergency braking should take place but I dont see it happening

Hello

I have a 2023 Lucid GT.

I have Collision avoidance turned on in dream drive with "early" notification/braking.

However, ever since I got the car, I ONLY get the loud audio/visual notification when I am about to hit the car in front of me. (like when the car in front
of me suddenly brakes or a car swerves into my lane). The car does not automatically emergency brake on its own. I have to slam the brakes
on my own to stop the car in time.

Is this the expected behavior? Isnt the car supposed to brake with this collision avoidance feature turned on? Or is the audio/visual warning all it does?

Frankly, even in manual driving, I thought the emergency braking should take place but I dont see it happening
If you read the manual, in ACC or HA mode, the car will NOT brake for stopped cars that are far in the distance as you approach them. If a car is right in front of you and it slows down, it will slow down along with it. But totally stationary objects it does not see until way too late. This is working as designed.

Automatically braking for stopped cars is part of a feature called Traffic Jam Assist, which will be released at a later date. It's not done yet.

I've found Collision Avoidance will stop the car far TOO often when I am reversing, and a car is moving anywhere near me. I sort of wish that were less sensitive. Moving forward, I'm not sure it actually brakes or just gives the warning, Haven't had many close calls in front of me.

Regardless, we should never rely on a car's computer to stop in emergency situations. You're putting your life (or at least your wallet) into the hands of programmers like me. Trust me, this is never a good idea.

Thank you JoeC. I wonder why they advertise the Collision avoidance in the car menu as saying that it would apply emergency brakes automatically. I'm not counting on it, but I would like to "know" that it would work in case I fail to brake myself..

Thank you JoeC. I wonder why they advertise the Collision avoidance in the car menu as saying that it would apply emergency brakes automatically. I'm not counting on it, but I would like to "know" that it would work in case I fail to brake myself..
It can do so, it has stopped the car for me applying ABS when a stationary car was in front of me and I was late to recognize it. I was not using highway assist at that time, so it may be the collision avoidance behaves differently with highway assist/ACC engaged. The car definitely slows down if it detects a slow car in front of you, but I’m not sure if it does so for stationary vehicles and I wouldn’t rely on any vehicle whether Tesla or Mercedes or Lucid or Subaru or Volvo or whoever to reliably stop if there’s stationary vehicle in front of you. It’s only driver “assistance” for now, meaning you need to be actively ready to stop the car. What I’ll do with HA sometimes is if I see traffic stopped way ahead I’ll drop the speed with the steering wheel controls so that I’m not barreling down on braking cars ahead at 80mph, then deactivate HA and let the car slow down on it’s own to a stop, and it’s never been a problem. I drive on I95 around Providence RI where there are multiple accidents and suddenly braking every single day and I’ve not had an issue.

Trust me. The car does emergency braking.

We were in a situation of moving over for an accident/pulled over vehicle. Little did we know all the cars in front (12+) decided to slam on brakes from 80+ to 30mph. Lucid slammed on brakes full tilt before I could even register the cars ahead had hit their brakes. Saved us from an accident and not pleasant with a Mustang behind us fish tailing from the left lane to emergency lane like it was Fast and Furious.

Long story short. You don't want to experience the emergency braking because it is for true "oh s***" moments and kicks in only during those times.

The car is aggressive when parking cameras are up on the auto brake. Always a good scare...

Trust me. The car does emergency braking.

We were in a situation of moving over for an accident/pulled over vehicle. Little did we know all the cars in front (12+) decided to slam on brakes from 80+ to 30mph. Lucid slammed on brakes full tilt before I could even register the cars ahead had hit their brakes. Saved us from an accident and not pleasant with a Mustang behind us fish tailing from the left lane to emergency lane like it was Fast and Furious.

Long story short. You don't want to experience the emergency braking because it is for true "oh s***" moments and kicks in only during those times.

The car is aggressive when parking cameras are up on the auto brake. Always a good scare...
Good to know it worked.. Thanks!

Back