Cold weather Cabin Temperature

Does anyone have a Dream in a cold climate? If so what have you noticed in cabin comfort namely temperature
Here in Tucson it had gotten down to freezing. I had set the temperature to 72º and also turned on the seat & steering wheel heater. The car temperature was still not comfortable, until I set the Temperature to 74º. There was "cold" (probably 72º) air blowing in my face before turning up the heat.

I've noticed that all EVs I've owned don't get as warm as ICE cars unless you set the temperature higher than you're accustomed to

I think it's more like you don't get the residual warmth emanating from the engine through the firewall in the front

My wife's Lexus hybrid took forever to warm up. We could go out to eat dinner and car wouldn't be warm before we got home. A 20 minute drive or so. I hope EV heat better.

I think it's just that ICE vehicles have more powerful heaters and aren't as concerned about losing energy in the process.

I've noticed that all EVs I've owned don't get as warm as ICE cars unless you set the temperature higher than you're accustomed to
Interesting. My latest Model S P100D is the opposite. 76 in this car is boiling hot. Having it set on “HI” to defrost the windshield in a snowstorm tonight absolutely suffocated me. I’ve always marveled at how well the MS maintains cabin temp.

We've had a pretty good spell of cold weather in the DC area since I took delivery (last week) and I do notice and in cabin draft of cold air mixing with warm. The car does warm up fairly fast, but we do have to set the temps about 4-5 degrees warmer than our other gas vehicles to achieve a comfortable temperature.

We've had a pretty good spell of cold weather in the DC area since I took delivery (last week) and I do notice and in cabin draft of cold air mixing with warm. The car does warm up fairly fast, but we do have to set the temps about 4-5 degrees warmer than our other gas vehicles to achieve a comfortable temperature.
That’s often what I’ve found with my EVs, the temp needs to be set warmer than my ICE vehicles. However 4-5 is a lot.

Just curious anyone use an IR to determine what temp the air from the vent is and actual cabin temp.

Just curious anyone use an IR to determine what temp the air from the vent is and actual cabin temp.
Yes I have there is a 11 degree delta between the gas pedal an the the UI. TEMP set at 75F fan 3. Gas pedal 75 UI was 62F

Attachments

• AC0B4533-62EE-4E33-9DEB-8B372CF513DC.jpeg
    AC0B4533-62EE-4E33-9DEB-8B372CF513DC.jpeg
    746.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 88BE1AC4-F340-4659-BABF-93354D3E2D5A.jpeg
    88BE1AC4-F340-4659-BABF-93354D3E2D5A.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 232
Did you take temp of your foot or the car itself? Just curious, I love those IR thermometers

I had a SAAB 9000. The optimal temperature was 69°F, but the thermostats was calibrated in Centigrade, so you go 20° or 21°C. It was a butch. My Lexus Hybrid had a certain temp … I can’t remember it now.
My [current] 2018 Audi Q7 seems to like 75, though after awhile, 72 is more appropriate and, if I’m wearing a heavier coat, 69°F.

Ladies and gentlemen, car thermostats were never meant to be absolute. [For my fellow physicians, it’s like monitoring CVP: Changes are significant, but absolutes are not.]

I’m looking towards an Air Grand Touring in burgundy and tan interior. I had a Camry that was burgundy and grey, and it doesn’t work after awhile. Plus they have to prove their superiority to T***a. I’ll give them two to three years. Not willing to put a deposit down yet, but in a year or two. I don’t want to be stuck with a DeLorean or, lord help us, an Edsel.

I don’t want to be stuck with a DeLorean or, lord help us, an Edsel.
you won’t be stuck with either a DeLorean or an Edsel. The Lucid will be an excellent car that others will be compared to.

Back