Cold weather Cabin Temperature

Hi, @Neuner89.

Thank you for sharing. I DM'd you for additional information.

Marqie
I have this similar issue but I feel my draft is at the level of the seat cushion. I can put my hand between the side of the driver’s seat and the door where it meets the frame of the car. Absolutely chilly and can feel a draft at certain speeds. I mentioned this the the local service team but all they did was check the HVAC and told me the car pumped out hot air just fine.

Hi, @Neuner89.
Thank you for sharing. I DM'd you for additional information.

Marqie

Hi - getting colder in Northeast now - noticing a cold draft in the cabin at speeds above 60mph - emanating from driver window I believe. No sound - but put hand to top of window- very noticeable cold air coming through. Rectified by putting heat up to 78 and blowers at 6, but shouldn't have to do. Anyone else notice this?
Yes! I did most recently on a road trip, it’s noticeable at highway speed. I can’t test the other windows by myself but I can confirm that my driver’s side window is drafty in its closed position. I reached out to Lucid but crickets so far…

If you want to help Lucid service techs diagnose the problem, you could try the old fashioned ways design engineers look for airflow and leaks ... grab some ribbon and tape, cut the ribbon to get a bunch of 6" max strips. Tape one end to the door or window frame around the suspect areas, leaving the other end free. As you drive with vents off and recirc mode, with no drafts the ribbons will hang limp. Drafts should pick them up and signal where there's air movement. Move the strips around a bit to better localize the drafty area as needed. Then the next time you're in the service center, you can point clearly to the problem area. This helps them save time in trying to figure out from limited clues where the problem is, and gets your issue resolved more quickly. Bit of work, but I bet this is what @Bobby would do.

If you want to help Lucid service techs diagnose the problem, you could try the old fashioned ways design engineers look for airflow and leaks ... grab some ribbon and tape, cut the ribbon to get a bunch of 6" max strips. Tape one end to the door or window frame around the suspect areas, leaving the other end free. As you drive with vents off and recirc mode, with no drafts the ribbons will hang limp. Drafts should pick them up and signal where there's air movement. Move the strips around a bit to better localize the drafty area as needed. Then the next time you're in the service center, you can point clearly to the problem area. This helps them save time in trying to figure out from limited clues where the problem is, and gets your issue resolved more quickly. Bit of work, but I bet this is what @Bobby would do.
That’s a good idea, except it’s a problem that occurs at 70 miles an hour, where one should probably focus on driving lol. I’ll do what I can though. It’ll be below 0 here this weekend and I have every intention of getting this addressed sooner than later.

That’s a good idea, except it’s a problem that occurs at 70 miles an hour, where one should probably focus on driving lol.
That's where Highway Assist helps! Find an open road where HA works well, set the speed, and you can afford to move your eyes and hand for a few seconds. This doesn't require precision, just narrowing a focus area for the tech. Obviously you are motivated to get this fixed, at those outside air temps. Others besides you may be able to apply a similar technique to finding drafts, so you may be able to help them by sharing your techniques and results. But make sure you don't get too distracted and crash the car, that can make it even more drafty. (Too lazy to insert appropriate smiley here)

I tested using lighter. Mobile tech coming tomorrow. I’ll post again afterwards.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    14.4 MB
I tested using lighter. Mobile tech coming tomorrow. I’ll post again afterwards.
So 1 hand holding the phone, 1 hand holding the lighter, who says HA doesn't work great?!? 🤣

Just forwarded this to the Lucid tech for this issue in my car. Hope you don’t mind. Brilliant lighter trick!
Just to appease my lawyers, I must state that I did not recommend and do not recommend use of combustible materials in testing for drafts o_O

I just moved to WNY, and am noticing these issues as well. I'll set my car to defrost mode, and come out and start to drive and the windows will get more foggy; so I end up having to blast the defrost vent the whole time I'm driving which is annoying bc it's so loud...I'm not going to debate the précises temperature bc I don't really care, like someone said above, if I have to set my temp a few degrees above what I did in my traditional ICE, who cares...but it's very drafty, and difficult to maintain any reasonable cabin temp to prevent the windows from fogging up without having the defrost blasting the whole time...

Here in Tucson it had gotten down to freezing. I had set the temperature to 72º and also turned on the seat & steering wheel heater. The car temperature was still not comfortable, until I set the Temperature to 74º. There was "cold" (probably 72º) air blowing in my face before turning up the heat.
You can't judge cold weather by Tucson. Those of us in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tucson have had our blood thinned and we can no longer stand temperatures that residents of Green Bay would consider balmy!

You can't judge cold weather by Tucson. Those of us in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tucson have had our blood thinned and we can no longer stand temperatures that residents of Green Bay would consider balmy!
Blood viscosity is one of the factors protected by homeostasis, as the maintenance of a consistent level temperature is essential to human health. Thus, Blood viscosity is in no way affected by the heat or cold of the surrounding environment, so blood does not thin in hot weather.

I just moved to WNY, and am noticing these issues as well. I'll set my car to defrost mode, and come out and start to drive and the windows will get more foggy; so I end up having to blast the defrost vent the whole time I'm driving which is annoying bc it's so loud...I'm not going to debate the précises temperature bc I don't really care, like someone said above, if I have to set my temp a few degrees above what I did in my traditional ICE, who cares...but it's very drafty, and difficult to maintain any reasonable cabin temp to prevent the windows from fogging up without having the defrost blasting the whole time...
I believe the main issue is evacuation of warm air in the cabin through the rear seats that are connected to the trunk while under speed. If you are at a standstill the cabin is quite comfortable. I base this hypothesis on the fact that I turn on rear heating and it reduces the warm air dissipation but is not eliminated.

Blood viscosity is one of the factors protected by homeostasis, as the maintenance of a consistent level temperature is essential to human health. Thus, Blood viscosity is in no way affected by the heat or cold of the surrounding environment, so blood does not thin in hot weather.
Who knew you could come here for Licid info AND medical facts! ;)

I believe the main issue is evacuation of warm air in the cabin through the rear seats that are connected to the trunk while under speed. If you are at a standstill the cabin is quite comfortable. I base this hypothesis on the fact that I turn on rear heating and it reduces the warm air dissipation but is not eliminated.
I hear you but the back seat does have air vents too, so shouldn't the car be capable of circulating the entire cabin? That being said, I did try putting on the rear seat warmers but didn't notice any real difference...but I want to keep testing

I hear you but the back seat does have air vents too, so shouldn't the car be capable of circulating the entire cabin? That being said, I did try putting on the rear seat warmers but didn't notice any real difference...but I want to keep testing
To clarify my explanation. I did not mean to turn rear heat seat warmers but to turn in rear compartment heat.

To clarify my explanation. I did not mean to turn rear heat seat warmers but to turn in rear compartment heat.
HAHA! yes! TY for clarifying, I def was not just turning on the seat warmers to see if the car internal temp did better 🤣

I can't believe I never thought of that, I just assumed it was on but that is a great point!

So 1 hand holding the phone, 1 hand holding the lighter, who says HA doesn't work great?!? 🤣
I'm convinced that all these attempts to make cars self-driving is to appease those who can't put their phone down.
HA is so you can scroll your phone whilst driving.

Confess.

Back