Charging my Lucid on a Bolt home charger...

Buffalo Bob

Verified Owner
Cars
Pure AWD 19" No Aeros
Referral Code
CVXJ7QLE
I'm visiting my daughter, and she has a Chevy Bolt and a Chevy Home Charger plugged into a NEMA outlet with a 50 amp circuit breaker. (Both the outlet and the home charger were installed by as part of a GM promo.) If I wanted to try home charging, should I just plug her J1772 outlet into the car, or would it be better to unplug her set-up at the NEMA outlet, and plug in the Lucid cable there? I don't care about my charging speed. I just don't want to do anything to damage either her home charger or her electrical system. Thanks.

Let us know if using the Bolt charger leads to an uncontrollable urge to charge to 100%...😄
So true. I've seen it numerous times, but always uncomfortable to ask the Bolt owner "Do you have a camping tent with you?"

Last two times I saw people charging to 100% at EA they were in Mercedes SUVs and people were waiting for the chargers.

Last two times I saw people charging to 100% at EA they were in Mercedes SUVs and people were waiting for the chargers.
Likely EV noobs.

They are all inter-compatible. They are all J1772. So don’t worry. You can use the bolt charger
Is it as simple as just plugging in the Bolt's J1772 plug, and away you go, or are the steps to take in advance on either the pilot panel or the app? When ready to stop charging, is a stop charging button available to push, similar to how you can stop charging from the pilot panel at an EA station. I assume you don't just try to disconnect the J1772 while charging is in progress. Thanks!

Is it as simple as just plugging in the Bolt's J1772 plug, and away you go, or are the steps to take in advance on either the pilot panel or the app? When ready to stop charging, is a stop charging button available to push, similar to how you can stop charging from the pilot panel at an EA station. I assume you don't just try to disconnect the J1772 while charging is in progress. Thanks!
Just treat the car/charger how you would your own charger, and you should be fine!

I don't know the Bolt's charger specifically, but with most home chargers yes, just plug in and walk away. Technically you are supposed to "stop charging" before unplugging, but I never bother. That's an extreme "just in case" - the moment you unlock the plug it will shut off power. The home charging UI in the car is exactly the same as while fast charging at EA.

You can stop level 2 charging with either pilot panel or app or by pushing the J1772 release button. Pressing the release on the J1772 turns off the power. You can often hear the relay in the charger click when you press the release button. I usually just press the release, wait to hear the relay and then remove the plug. For the most part, do not worry about it.

Likely EV noobs.
I wish but they aren’t. And yes, I ask why they’re charging to 100 and wasting their time and everyone else’s and make it uncomfortable. I thought it was a LA thing, entitled, obnoxious, etc. But I went to the Bay this weekend where they invented EVs (pretty sure they didn’t but you wouldn’t know it being there) and the number of clowns at Valley Fair going to 100 at a public charger with people waiting is laughable.

Also another tidbit of EV etiquette: don’t tell a Taycan owner their charging architecture is Volkswagen. They get really offended.

Also another tidbit of EV etiquette: don’t tell a Taycan owner their charging architecture is Volkswagen. They get really offended.
I heard somewhere a 911 is just a funny shaped Beetle.

But yeah, the charging to 100 thing is not localized, I see it here on the east coast mainly with VWs. Having spoken to some VW owners at EA stations, I think a large part of it is just because they were given free charging and nobody told them anything about it. They don't know that fast charging to 100 is bad for the battery, they don't know that the cable is locked into their car and somebody else can't just take it when they're done. They just bought a car at a dealership that happened to be an EV and the dealership didn't bother to tell them how to use it. Not to completely absolve them, they should realize pretty quickly that they're inconveniencing others, but still. It starts from the dealer not giving any kind of education.

I'm visiting my daughter, and she has a Chevy Bolt and a Chevy Home Charger plugged into a NEMA outlet with a 50 amp circuit breaker. (Both the outlet and the home charger were installed by as part of a GM promo.) If I wanted to try home charging, should I just plug her J1772 outlet into the car, or would it be better to unplug her set-up at the NEMA outlet, and plug in the Lucid cable there? I don't care about my charging speed. I just don't want to do anything to damage either her home charger or her electrical system. Thanks.
You are better off not unplugging anything, because the less things are unplugged and plugged into the outlet the better. These things are technically not chargers, but charging equipment, and in all cases they are passing the AC to your car unchanged. I won't get into the control wires, contactors or anything else in there, but essentially the devices keep the power from flowing until a handshake tells them to, and they also keep track of what the amperage is for the plug type or circuit if it's hard wired. Once it decides to send the electricity to the car, it's the same with any j1772 charging equipment, or Tesla charging equipment with a J1772 adapter (not the same adapter that will be available for supercharging.)

But yeah, the charging to 100 thing is not localized, I see it here on the east coast mainly with VWs. Having spoken to some VW owners at EA stations, I think a large part of it is just because they were given free charging and nobody told them anything about it. They don't know that fast charging to 100 is bad for the battery, they don't know that the cable is locked into their car and somebody else can't just take it when they're done. They just bought a car at a dealership that happened to be an EV and the dealership didn't bother to tell them how to use it. Not to completely absolve them, they should realize pretty quickly that they're inconveniencing others, but still. It starts from the dealer not giving any kind of education.
TBH nobody “told” me anything at delivery or before. This forum and other EV forums are where I learned how to optimize and etiquette. Of course I’m saying this while charging from 10% preconditioned for 45 min at a 350 EA and only drawing 90kwh. FML.

I swear... For any normal change to my SOC... By that, I mean starting out somewhere no lower than around 20% and ending no higher than around 80%... it almost always takes me 35 minutes. It can start with a high kWh which subsequently drops like a stone, or start fairly low and then drop much more slowly. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm adding 30% or 60%. 35 minutes! Of course, if you set your charge much higher than 80%, the time soars.

But yeah, the charging to 100 thing is not localized, I see it here on the east coast mainly with VWs. Having spoken to some VW owners at EA stations, I think a large part of it is just because they were given free charging and nobody told them anything about it.

What a lot of people don't realize is that free charging might be costing them more than charging at home. It comes down to which car, how close the chargers are to where you live and what it costs for electricity at home. If it would cost you $600/year to charge at home, but "free" charging adds enough miles to depreciate your car by $1000 per year, it's costing more to charge for free than to charge at home. Also, even if you didn't factor in depreciation, the savings might come out to less than what you'd make on a minimum wage job for the same amount of overall time, including getting to the charging station and back. I think that it's more likely to be a concern for Lucid owners than for owners of a less expensive car, but even if the depreciation comes out to be less than the amount saved in electricity, the amount saved might be so small that you might save $2 for using up an hour of your time.

Back