Charging manners: should you educate folk hogging to 100% SOC ?

It could just be as simple as paying a higher price per kW after an 80% charge. Or better yet, shut off automatically at 80% so the user has to reinitiate and start charging fees if they have not

It could just be as simple as paying a higher price per kW after an 80% charge. Or better yet, shut off automatically at 80% so the user has to reinitiate and start charging fees if they have not
I would get behind this. Happy to pay a higher fee on the rare occasion I actually needed to push it past 80%.

Some people just can't be educated. Like the clown in the BMW that just pulled up to the charger next to me, realized that his charge port is closer to another charger and decided to use that one but not move his car. Using one charger and blocking a perfectly good one 🤦🏼‍♂️

Some people just can't be educated. Like the clown in the BMW that just pulled up to the charger next to me, realized that his charge port is closer to another charger and decided to use that one but not move his car. Using one charger and blocking a perfectly good one 🤦🏼‍♂️
"I wish I had a rocket launcher."

I thought I had the only Lucid where I work, and I do have the only one in my building, but thanks to an owner doing the same as that BMW driver, I found out that there's a silver one that parks over in the other garage. We have free charging, but there's a two hour limit on the ChargePoints and a long waiting list to get on them that's handled thru the ChargePoint app. The owner of the silver one not only didn't move his car after two hours, he was parked so badly that he was blocking the charging spot next to him. The person waiting to charge sent an email with a picture of his car to every EV owner in the company, which inspired lots of angry replies.

I was charging on a trip. Pulled into a charger station. A Mustang was waiting so I was second. Four chargers, all in use. The Bolt was at 90%, having been charging for an hour and said she needed to be at 100% the two polestars were already above 80%. The fourth car, a BMW was also above 80. After 10’, the misting could pull into the stall the BMW vacated. Meanwhile the other three kept charging. A Rivian pulled in and we were talking about how new EV owners don’t understand how inefficient and disrespectful it was to charge past 80. Both of us just needed a 15’ charge to get to ehere we needed to go. Finally, after about another 20’ one polestar owner came. He was at 89% and had come from getting something to eat. I mentioned that he wasn’t pulling much of a charge and he said he will probably wait until 92% or so. one Polestar. eventually hte Bolt owner reached 100% and she left. Was waiting for about 40’ for those three a-holes to charge close to 100%. Meanwhile the Polestar owner who said he would charge to about 92% was now at 94 and still sitting there. The Mustang eventually left after charging to about 90% allowing the Rivian to pul in. Meanwhile another 3 cars had arrived. The other polestar got out and finally unplugged. I just said to him it doesn’t pull much after 80%. He said yes, he noticed that his car didn’t. It told him all cars are like that. He said he just wanted to get a full charge so he could get further on his trip, to which I told him it iis actually much faster to just charge twice and don’t got past 80% on the road. He asked if that was what I do, and I told him absolutely. Some people just need education. Others are just plain a-holes.

Total time on the stop 1h, 15’. Total charge time was 20’.

It’s the cars that are finished and idle that drive me nuts.
Most chargers I've Sen charge fees after 5 minutes of idling (unless it's 15), I forget. But I always rush back to get my car because of idling fees.

Heading to Prescott, AZ from LA, the last EA charger before Prescott is Quartzite. The next to last EA charger is Indio. Knowing how bad Quartzite is, and that it must be avoided at all cost, I charge in Indio. I need to charge to 90% to make it home. I stay with the vehicle. I would say that 50% of the other vehicles charging have plugged in to add charge while shopping at Walmart. Often the vehicle is sitting there at 100% SOC. I’m a big fan of charging for idle time. Might keep some from using the charging station as a parking space while shopping.

There is something about BMW car owners. Doesn't matter ICE, or, EV.
I remember one event to point it out.
Pocono raceway, all the cars lined up to start racing, all of them turning left. Suddenly one car, out of the blue, turns right. Guess what car it was? BMW. Enough said :)

Education goes a long way; I believe it is our duty as early adopters to help owners or users the benefit of only charging to 80% or even 90% if you have time and no one is waiting… having said that, end the conversation if it is not well received…

I am of the opinion that all of this will end when "free charging" is no longer a thing and charging outside the home is reserved for long trips. Over time, building codes will need to change to require 50 or even 80 amp circuits in the garages of new construction. They could even require such circuits in homes that are on the secondary market, as well as level 2 chargers in rental complexes.

There is something about BMW car owners. Doesn't matter ICE, or, EV.
I remember one event to point it out.
Pocono raceway, all the cars lined up to start racing, all of them turning left. Suddenly one car, out of the blue, turns right. Guess what car it was? BMW. Enough said :)
"Turn right to go left, it always works!"

A couple of times I've looked at what other people are "getting" and seen they are charging past 90%. I suppose they might be going out into the wilderness and needed as much range as they could get, but what if you are waiting and all the chargers are taken...is it rude to check and see if the driver understands that this is not a gas station where everyone fills the tank every time? We can't assume that EV drivers are as enlightened as folk on LucidOwners.

On a long trip I stopped at a large bank (10 or 12 !) of EA chargers in N. Jersey. Every charger was taken and a half dozen cars were waiting, with more pulling in every few minutes. It was a very crowded shopping area off I-95 in dense North Jerseyland so even the remote edge of the parking lot was completely full. You could not tell if EVs were waiting or just parked way out there because the lots were completely full, and then went shopping.
Questions:

there was no way to tell who was waiting for a charge, and who was 'first in line' ... it seemed like people were sharking-in the moment they saw people unplugging ... like a feeding frenzy.
usually I leave when I encounter full bays and people waiting, but this time I was at 11% and not sure I could make the next station.

what do you guys do in this situation?

I glanced at a couple of the screens and a bunch of people were already over 90% ... WTF ?

Is it rude to "educate" people about how long it takes to get that last 10% ? and that it's unhealthy to charge past 80% all the time? Do we have a duty to help out fellow early adopters be nice with other people's time?
It is not rude to speak to each driver. Educate them in a nice way.

Saw my first really awful violation of staying in front of a charger after the car is done - Tesla had 61 minutes over charge time. I didn't know someone could be that oblivious! I left as I had to charge and sitting there waiting for someone who for all I know had gone into the Walgreens or Ralphs to go to work for the day! So rude. I left them a note on their car.

Saw my first really awful violation of staying in front of a charger after the car is done - Tesla had 61 minutes over charge time. I didn't know someone could be that oblivious! I left as I had to charge and sitting there waiting for someone who for all I know had gone into the Walgreens or Ralphs to go to work for the day! So rude. I left them a note on their car.

Some Tesla fans do this deliverately to aggrvste people who didn’t buy Tesla. They even think it’s funny to prove their point.

I have conversations all the time with the 100%-ers. They have range anxiety in 80-90% of cases and there is no way to convince them to do otherwise. e.g. Ford Lightning’s that get 2mi/KWH. In 20% of the cases the person is truly clueless about the whole thing but they are nervous and not going to change behavior based on what a stranger is telling them.

I agree with all the sentiments on this thread.
I think much of the problems are due to free charging. It would make me feel better if they had higher fees for idling and over 80% charging but some people are rich and oblivious or rude. Remember that old joke - what's the difference between a BMW and cactus? A cactus has the pricks on the outside!

I agree with all the sentiments on this thread.
I think much of the problems are due to free charging. It would make me feel better if they had higher fees for idling and over 80% charging but some people are rich and oblivious or rude. Remember that old joke - what's the difference between a BMW and cactus? A cactus has the pricks on the outside!
Hold on, I now own a Lucid & a BMW i4. Does that give me 1/2 prick status?

Back