Charging cable locking

Sandvinsd

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Grand Touring
Just curious if a L2 J1772 cable locks onto the car when charging, or if there settings to enable or disable the locking? My Leaf has settings for this. Just did not know about the Lucid as I don’t have it yet.

Just curious if a L2 J1772 cable locks onto the car when charging, or if there settings to enable or disable the locking? My Leaf has settings for this. Just did not know about the Lucid as I don’t have it yet.
It locks if the car is locked, unlocks when the car is unlocked

Super unintuitive for sure. that said, I also had the car just not let go when I was at an EA station. I had to do the manual release from under the hood.

Much thanks for this insight! Did not occur to me that I needed to unlock the car to disconnect cable. And like quite a few of my challenges, it is not mentioned in the owners manual.
Funny, it was in a previous version of the manual but you are right it is not there now. They should put this back in the manual. From the previous version

1671717313020.png

I had this exact problem on my first day owning the car. Was charging my first ever EV and I couldn't get the cable out of the port. Took me 10 minutes and a call to service for them to say "Um, did you unlock your car?"

In hindsight, it makes complete sense....this way, no a$$hole can walk by and unplug all the EVs for no reason other than being an a$$hole.

I had this exact problem on my first day owning the car. Was charging my first ever EV and I couldn't get the cable out of the port. Took me 10 minutes and a call to service for them to say "Um, did you unlock your car?"

In hindsight, it makes complete sense....this way, no a$$hole can walk by and unplug all the EVs for no reason other than being an a$$hole.
It took me a while to figure it out too, as I was the OP on this thread. Our Leaf has a setting where I can have the cable locked or unlocked. Since we always charge at home in the garage I have it set to unlocked. Would be nice to have that setting on the Lucid. Most of the time I go out to the garage for something, see the car has finished charging and don’t have the key or phone with me to unplug. It is slightly annoying to dig the phone app out to unlock everytime. But there are other things much higher on my wish list LIKE SCHEDULED CHARGING. Lucid do you hear me?

Precisely. I would never want the cable to be released without unlocking the car, for this very reason.

But for those who charge at home and don't carry their phones or fobs around, all they need to add is the option to leave the car unlocked when in a specific location, like your own garage.

Again, I would never trust that. But plenty of people do.

This also happened to me the first time I charged lol. It was a Taycan owner next to me that said “have you tried unlocking it” and I felt like an idiot haha.

But there are other things much higher on my wish list LIKE SCHEDULED CHARGING. Lucid do you hear me?
The *definitely* don’t think people want scheduled charging or that it’s important. ;)

Another reason might be that they want to charge. Obviously you don't want that done when the charger is in use by your car. Some cars lock the cable in place and unlock it either when you unlock the car or when charging is finished. Frankly I'd be fine with somebody unplugging my car if charging is finished. I'd be surprised if somebody tried though, unless it was a car that offered the feature, the person knew that the car had that feature, and they could tell that charging was done. Or if somebody left a note explaining it.

Back