Changes for 2023??? Value of 2022

Understood...however, if EA's performance (# of down chargers, continued problems of exercising the free-charge with the Lucid purchase) does not improve, why would I go charge at EA after the "free charge" period?

BTW, I am sure you all recognize that there is not "free-charge". You paid for it when you purchased the car.
So, for all of us Lucid owners who purchased the Luicd with "free-charge" (for 3 years), the perient question is, why isn't Lucid doing more with EA to get this on track? I am not giving EA a free-pass. I think EA i sterrible. However, as a Lucid owner, my business relationship is with Lucid, not with EA.

@Volund did the free EA charging continue with your car? We all curious.

Has ‘thin paint’ been confirmed as an actual issue?
Yes it has on you tube at a Chicago body shop he measured the paint thickness with an electronic tool designed for that purpose and it was absurdly thin. My black grand touring has white undercoating paint that chips constantly when I drive i-80 or I-5. Even my doors on the sides are getting chipped. I love owning this car but if I knew this paint was so thin I would never have bought it. it's going to have to be repainted within a year. If lucid doesn't go bankrupt they should repaint our cars. I suspect there's a class action suit waiting to happen here.

Yes it has on you tube at a Chicago body shop he measured the paint thickness with an electronic tool designed for that purpose and it was absurdly thin. My black grand touring has white undercoating paint that chips constantly when I drive i-80 or I-5. Even my doors on the sides are getting chipped. I love owning this car but if I knew this paint was so thin I would never have bought it. it's going to have to be repainted within a year. If lucid doesn't go bankrupt they should repaint our cars. I suspect there's a class action suit waiting to happen here.
Nope. My car and others have had no paint thickness issues. Have you used a paint meter? That was the only case we’ve seen of thin paint. I asked my PPF guy and he also said there had been no issues.

Paint chips unless you protect it, as it is attacked constantly by rocks and other road debris.

Nope. My car and others have had no paint thickness issues. Have you used a paint meter? That was the only case we’ve seen of thin paint. I asked my PPF guy and he also said there had been no issues.

Paint chips unless you protect it, as it is attacked constantly by rocks and other road debris.
Yes he used a paint meter and declared the paint extremely thin and soft. I have owned over 50 cars in my life new and used and NONE have chipped like this one. I don't know what color your car is but if it's white because of the undercoat is white might not show. Unfortunately I got a black one

Yes he used a paint meter and declared the paint extremely thin and soft. I have owned over 50 cars in my life new and used and NONE have chipped like this one. I don't know what color your car is but if it's white because of the undercoat is white might not show. Unfortunately I got a black one
I have an Infinite Black 2023 and the paint is great - no issues here.

Besides that one video from Out of Spec, haven't seen other reports of thin paint from people who had their cars wrapped on this forum. So, I'd say that it's an exception otherwise we would see it pop up here.

I also heard someone say that the cheap little gauge thingy they used in that video was purchased for $29.95 on amazon. The gadget is not only cheap but wildly inaccurate. The best way to measure paint thickness on a car was to use some very expensive equipment, costing in the thousands of dollars.

So there’s that.

They were. I know of 3 people that did exactly this, because the auto market was so insane for a long time. Now that it has cooled off (at least for used cars, even if some dealers are still charging markups for new vehicles) a lot of people were left holding their lunch.

Yes. That bearded tech youtuber with a slight lisp, (Jon Rettinger?), bought it to flip. Well, maybe not with the intent to flip it, but he got tired of the car, no surprises there, and then looked to flip it.

I have an Infinite Black 2023 and the paint is great - no issues here.
Chicago auto pros . 2022 lucid paint inspection and build quality. Not encouraging

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_193008_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_193008_YouTube.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20230528_192940_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_192940_YouTube.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 113
Besides that one video from Out of Spec, haven't seen other reports of thin paint from people who had their cars wrapped on this forum. So, I'd say that it's an exception otherwise we would see it pop up here.
The first car Coletin tested on our detailing channel had thin paint. Mine does not. I even tested it with a paint meter on my channel. Coletin has my car now in his shop and confirmed my paint is solid. 22 built in November

The first car Coletin tested on our detailing channel had thin paint. Mine does not. I even tested it with a paint meter on my channel. Coletin has my car now in his shop and confirmed my paint is solid. 22 built in November
Great to hear, Dave…..And, I am also happy for you, as well. I ended up doing a full PPF to my car after watching Coletin’s video on the black GT that he and Kyle had in the shop several months ago. (I just didn’t want to risk having an issue once I received my car.) And, while I don’t know if anyone at the shop took readings with a paint meter before prepping my car for PPF, the end result was outstanding. So, at this point, I too could not be happier.

Thanks for sharing this info with the group and keep those Out of Spec videos coming!

That was a used car that he tested. My paint is great! No issues at all. There is no class action on paint. Isolated issues that happens to any manufacturers! Thousands of Lucid have been sold with NO paint issues that needs remediation.

Mine from August was fine as well ....except for the silver trim on the roof, particularly the horizontal trim piece where I can see really poor metallic flake distribution at the corners. I'll try to get this replaced at some point in the near future.

Once again: what one sees here can be helpful and guide one to checking one's own vehicle but the issues and responses are not statistically valid. So reports here of thin paint could be a reason for a concerned buyer to have his paint checked but not a valid conclusion that all Lucid airs (or most) have thin paint.

I have not had my paint gauged for thickness, but am pleased to report that after 10,000 miles the Cosmos Silver has not had even one stone chip. I did not have PPF applied but did have it Opticoated. Very unusual in my experience with all my other cars that picked up chips regularly, even with PPF. I guess I was just lucky, but I fully expected chips on my 2000-mile cross-country interstate drive. I only have one small chip that reveals the metal underneath on the black trim on the rear edge of the frunk. Also, where some lovely pickup truck driver dinged my rear door just above the crease, the dent has been removed with no paint/clear coat damage so I assume that the paint was thick enough at that point.

As to the 2022 being different from the 2023 builds, I like most find that the OTA updates have improved the car well beyond the usual model year changes of traditional manufacturers. Aftermarket prices are no surprise and as noted above the typical decline of 20-30% when titled is expected. We all have the same amount of time here so waiting for the next best version may never happen. I have enjoyed the last seven months with my AGT more than any other car I have or could have owned.

I bought m Lucid in September 2022. Paint thicking was in excess of 4.5 everywhere except on the curve portion of the doors by the windows. Slight below 4.0 there. My detailer told me that the quality of paint is very good and that I should have no problems with it. I believe only a few batches of cars produced had any problems, which have since been worked out. As with any mass production process, there will always be a select few that will have problems just due to manufacturing hiccups, These will be exception, not the rule.

I wondered about that video, as my car was likely produced at the same time as Peter’s car, and mine is also a black GT (built in March, delivered April 22). Both detailers I’ve had work on the car said the paint quality was great, definitely better than Teslas they’d done. I think there’s more to paint quality than just how thick it is. I did find the trunk lid scratches pretty easily, my niece dragged her backpack across it. I didn’t have PPF on the trunk though, so once my car is back from getting my damaged bumper replaced I’m getting PPF on the whole thing.

16K miles on my black GT produced in March of last year, same time as the OutOfSpec detailing car with thin paint. I have no rock chips on the car in spite of being a daily driver through New England winters. My hood/bumper PPF has a couple chips but it didn’t damage the paint underneath, while scrapping my bumper against the side of my brick house when not paying attention backing out of my driveway did. After removing the PPF I could see it’s black underneath the deeply scratched paint also, at least for the frunk/bumper, not sure about the doors or the rest of the car. The rest of the car does not have PPF. So I can’t find a reason to give Lucid a “repaint my car or I’ll sue you” ultimatum or think bankruptcy is on the table.

"Do XX or have a class action lawsuit" is a sometimes common theme in this forum. Do luxury cars always attract entitled owners, and would-be owners?

I did find the trunk lid scratches pretty easily, my niece dragged her backpack across it. I didn’t have PPF on the trunk though, so once my car is back from getting my damaged bumper replaced I’m getting PPF on the whole thing.

Oh, I hate that, especially family members! You can’t make them care about a car as much you do, because they just don’t get it, and they never will; and you can’t get mad at them either because, well, they’re family!

Back