CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I did not hear that, but glad you caught it. I heard Peter get a little defensive and evade the question and say something about “future updates”. He also said something about “we are always exploring our options”. Not sure how to decode that. It went by fast, so maybe I misheard.
I took it as they don't really have interest in iOS 16 and think they can make better use of the system with their own software. I don't see any advantage to automakers jumping on iOS 16 unless they're intending on stopping all software development for their own systems

I took it as they don't really have interest in iOS 16 and think they can make better use of the system with their own software. I don't see any advantage to automakers jumping on iOS 16 unless they're intending on stopping all software development for their own systems
Yes, I think that’s also what I heard. I’m still hoping we get some version of CarPlay. I wouldn’t care if they had Satellite radio, but they have to do something for us soon. I think not properly addressing it was a big miss in the earnings call.

Yes, I think that’s also what I heard. I’m still hoping we get some version of CarPlay. I wouldn’t care if they had Satellite radio, but they have to do something for us soon. I think not properly addressing it was a big miss in the earnings call.
The current CarPlay is in beta so that's coming for sure. I just wouldn't expect to see the new CarPlay coming anytime soon, it at all.

The current CarPlay is in beta so that's coming for sure. I just wouldn't expect to see the new CarPlay coming anytime soon, it at all.
Good, I’ll take it.

The “new” CarPlay won’t be coming to any car soon, anyway. Even Apple said the first cars with it would be announced late next year.

And Lucid wasn’t on their list.

I’m fine with that. They will get to it eventually. I’d rather they fix the bugs in their own software first.

Yea, he said that.
Here is the audio part for confirmation. Sorry no audio file upload capability here, so just click and download MP3 file:

Here is the audio part for confirmation. Sorry no audio file upload capability here, so just click and download MP3 file:
Heard it. Didn't find it convincing.

I had a service tech come out to the house a few weeks ago. He was making sure that Surround View loading was fixed and replaced a second wiper blade. When he was done, he asked me if there were any other issues. I said I assume the software engineers are hard at work. He said yes. I had just had the first round of the 2.0 updates. He said the software engineers were working really hard on Apple CarPlay. Somewhere in the conversation I asked him specifically about dropouts in TuneIn Radio. He said they're working on that but that all goes away with CarPlay. It didn't register with me at the time. Then I thought/remembered TuneIn Radio, iHeart, Spotify, SiriusXM, Pandora and Tidal are apps in Apple CarPlay. Electrify America is also an app in CarPlay. I can't wait to see what they've got.

I had a service tech come out to the house a few weeks ago. He was making sure that Surround View loading was fixed and replaced a second wiper blade. When he was done, he asked me if there were any other issues. I said I assume the software engineers are hard at work. He said yes. I had just had the first round of the 2.0 updates. He said the software engineers were working really hard on Apple CarPlay. Somewhere in the conversation I asked him specifically about dropouts in TuneIn Radio. He said they're working on that but that all goes away with CarPlay. It didn't register with me at the time. Then I thought/remembered TuneIn Radio, iHeart, Spotify, SiriusXM, Pandora and Tidal are apps in Apple CarPlay. Electrify America is also an app in CarPlay. I can't wait to see what they've got.
Glad you’re looking forward to it. I’ll stick with the native Apps built into the car. If I wanted CarPlay, I wouldn’t have paid $150K for a car.

Heard it. Didn't find it convincing.
So what you're saying is that the CEO openly lied to investors on an earnings call, thus opening himself to a prison sentence?

Glad you’re looking forward to it. I’ll stick with the native Apps built into the car. If I wanted CarPlay, I wouldn’t have paid $150K for a car.
Cars that cost much more… and less.. have the option of CarPlay. I’m looking forward to it because I like the integration with my other devices and my calendar, since I visit different clients all over the country. Every car I get into has it and I’ve gotten quite used to the uniform experience. Some don’t like the look of the UI but it works VERY well. I, for one, will likely use it all the time.

That said, do not think that any car company should use it as an excuse to lag in development of native software for the car for customers like yourself who do not wish to use it.

To me luxury is about choice.

As much as think CarPlay is a good idea, I think it would piss off a lot of people if Lucid removes the native audio apps (Tidal, Spotify, SXM, etc) when CarPlay arrives. For one, many people have Android phone, so CarPlay is of no use to them. Personally I would use CarPlay for Waze and a few others apps. I hope they don't remove existing native apps. This statement makes me nervous. "He said they're working on that but that all goes away with CarPlay"

As much as think CarPlay is a good idea, I think it would piss off a lot of people if Lucid removes the native audio apps (Tidal, Spotify, SXM, etc) when CarPlay arrives. For one, many people have Android phone, so CarPlay is of no use to them. Personally I would use CarPlay for Waze and a few others apps. I hope they don't remove existing native apps. This statement makes me nervous. "He said they're working on that but that all goes away with CarPlay"
They won’t because not all users have CarPlay.

I also hope they add calendar integration ala Tesla with Google Calendar and thus allow you to see and navigate to a calandar event location.

There would be no good reason to "remove" anything due to CarPlay / Android Auto. Don't believe anyone who suggests otherwise.

Lucid is in the middle of active development of a Sirius app. Why would they have done that, knowing they planned to pull native apps once CarPlay is released in a matter of a month or two at most?

No way. My suspicion is just that he meant 'once carplay is out, everything works through your phone, which resolves any issues the native media apps have, since Apple tends to have an extremely high bar of software quality and, if you need to, you can use their native CarPlay UIs through your phone instead of the native Lucid ones'

Hope it happens sooner than later!!

Back