CarPlay in Gravity

Hopefully with full support for EV integration!!
Is that something that can be done? Are there any other EVs that use Android Auto/CarPlay (rather than native Android Automotive) that integrate EV route planning directly into the Google Maps / Apple Maps implementation, or is that limited for security or other reasons? I was thinking that I'd just end up with a more usable mix of ABRP (which can be linked to the vehicle) and the native routeplanner when Android Auto becomes available.
 
Hopefully with full support for EV integration!!
Yeah......don't get your hopes up. There's a reason many automakers aren't going to that level of integration when it comes to CarPlay & Android Auto. User data is valuable and you don't want to give it out willingly. Do you think Lucid could improve its EV Route Planner if everyone just ran CarPlay with Apple Maps? No, Apple would take that data and use it to improve their own map platform icing out the automaker.
 
Is that something that can be done? Are there any other EVs that use Android Auto/CarPlay (rather than native Android Automotive) that integrate EV route planning directly into the Google Maps / Apple Maps implementation, or is that limited for security or other reasons? I was thinking that I'd just end up with a more usable mix of ABRP (which can be linked to the vehicle) and the native routeplanner when Android Auto becomes available.
It can be done but many automakers don't integrate it. It's been available for years.
 
It can be done but many automakers don't integrate it. It's been available for years.
Yep. It's frustrating. Our 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E added the extra integration shortly after Android Auto offered it so the car could pass thru SOC% to AA and AA could show estimated SOC% on arrival. Had that for almost 2 years.

But the 2025 Porsche Macan EV we bought last summer doesn't have it. Ugh.

Hoping the Gravity includes it from the start when AA is supposed to be available later this year.
 
I know that CarPlay is important for that group of “I won’t buy a car without CarPlay” crowd but it is not a big issue with me. Might be good for Apple Music streaming, but I would rather have a native Apple Music App and then improve Lucid navigation to be on par with Apple Maps. I much prefer Lucid navigation with ability to use on both screens with broad view on lower screen and close up/turn by turn view on upper screen.

I also like having nav on one screen and music on the other, which is not possible with CarPlay. As more and more manufacturers improve their in-house infotainment, CarPlay will slowly disappear.
 
I know that CarPlay is important for that group of “I won’t buy a car without CarPlay” crowd but it is not a big issue with me. Might be good for Apple Music streaming, but I would rather have a native Apple Music App and then improve Lucid navigation to be on par with Apple Maps. I much prefer Lucid navigation with ability to use on both screens with broad view on lower screen and close up/turn by turn view on upper screen.

I also like having nav on one screen and music on the other, which is not possible with CarPlay. As more and more manufacturers improve their in-house infotainment, CarPlay will slowly disappear.
1000% agree.
After using Gravity's UI, I think CarPlay is overrated.
For my use case, only thing missing is native Apple Music app.
 
CarPlay is very reliable but it feels 10 years old.
CarPlay was a godsend on my 2016 Mercedes with primitive infotainment with no OTA update available and helped keep it relevant as it aged. But my 2021 Mercedes has a significantly better infotainment and find no reason to use CarPlay as the native system is quicker and easier to use. Gravity is now a whole level better (at least potentially so). If Lucid can deliver on this promise, you will see a lot more people give up on CarPlay/AA.
 
CarPlay was a godsend on my 2016 Mercedes with primitive infotainment with no OTA update available and helped keep it relevant as it aged. But my 2021 Mercedes has a significantly better infotainment and find no reason to use CarPlay as the native system is quicker and easier to use. Gravity is now a whole level better (at least potentially so). If Lucid can deliver on this promise, you will see a lot more people give up on CarPlay/AA.
The biggest challenge is convincing people to go back to the native car software. Let's be honest, automakers have done a horrible job at software and it's why Apple and Google saw an opening and took it. Now automakers are starting to give a damn, it's hard to get people to give up what they've been comfortable with for many years. I think GM is smart to just abandon it completely, it forces the owner to use their software. The downside is, if GM's software turns out to be crap then people will leave the brand and go to one that still offers CarPlay / AA.

Lucid has been in a similar boat. If they hadn't fumbled the software for both Air and Gravity would people have been screaming so much for CarPlay \ AA? Probably not. The challenge they also face is trying to convince people they're building a better ecosystem. My stance on CarPlay \ AA is that they have no place in a modern OTA updatable EV BUT the automaker needs to prove that they can actually make good software which has been the uphill battle, even for Lucid.

Also, CarPlay is dying. You can see automakers are dropping it and no one has really gone all in on CarPlay Ultra except a small handful. Automakers simply don't want to give the keys to the kingdom to Apple or Google and rightfully so. Knowing Apple was working on a car, why on earth would you give them all that owner data from your own car for them to take it all and potentially make a superior product? It's suicide.
 
The biggest challenge is convincing people to go back to the native car software. Let's be honest, automakers have done a horrible job at software and it's why Apple and Google saw an opening and took it. Now automakers are starting to give a damn, it's hard to get people to give up what they've been comfortable with for many years. I think GM is smart to just abandon it completely, it forces the owner to use their software. The downside is, if GM's software turns out to be crap then people will leave the brand and go to one that still offers CarPlay / AA.

Lucid has been in a similar boat. If they hadn't fumbled the software for both Air and Gravity would people have been screaming so much for CarPlay \ AA? Probably not. The challenge they also face is trying to convince people they're building a better ecosystem. My stance on CarPlay \ AA is that they have no place in a modern OTA updatable EV BUT the automaker needs to prove that they can actually make good software which has been the uphill battle, even for Lucid.

Also, CarPlay is dying. You can see automakers are dropping it and no one has really gone all in on CarPlay Ultra except a small handful. Automakers simply don't want to give the keys to the kingdom to Apple or Google and rightfully so. Knowing Apple was working on a car, why on earth would you give them all that owner data from your own car for them to take it all and potentially make a superior product? It's suicide.
Well said!
I actually like GM's approach... No CarPlay or Android Auto, but you have access to a version of the Google app store.
 
I disagree. Having basic CarPlay or native Apple Music and/or Maps is still worth the risk reward. And you can keep it in transition while building the trust from customers in your built in and brand new infotainment.

They probably lost significant business, they definitely lost mine and why I went with Lucid and the last Lyriq that has CarPlay.
 
I know that CarPlay is important for that group of “I won’t buy a car without CarPlay” crowd but it is not a big issue with me. Might be good for Apple Music streaming, but I would rather have a native Apple Music App and then improve Lucid navigation to be on par with Apple Maps. I much prefer Lucid navigation with ability to use on both screens with broad view on lower screen and close up/turn by turn view on upper screen.

I also like having nav on one screen and music on the other, which is not possible with CarPlay. As more and more manufacturers improve their in-house infotainment, CarPlay will slowly disappear.
Yes. After driving an Air loaner with CarPlay, I actually don't care much for it (coming from several years of Teslas). I just want Apple Music integration and I probably wouldn't even use CarPlay in that situation.
 
What Lucid or any manufacturer doesn't fully replicate is the Google Maps integration that AA has. I like using the same mapping system in the car that I use on my desktop computer and my phone. I'm on Maps constantly. It's how I explore and plan. I have tons of starred locations that show up in AA. My recent searches automatically appear in AA. And the nav is maybe the best there is, but moreover, it's familiar which makes it easiest for me to use. Really the only reason I find to use the car's nav is the EV parts that AA may not do -- SOC on arrival (if the manufacture fails to add that integration), preconditioning (again, if the mfgr fails to integrate that), etc.
 
They probably lost significant business, they definitely lost mine and why I went with Lucid and the last Lyriq that has CarPlay.
Respectfully, that’s a personal preference, not evidence of “significant business loss.”

Some buyers absolutely won’t consider a car without CarPlay, that’s valid. But extrapolating “they probably lost significant business” from one purchase decision doesn’t hold up, especially in the luxury EV space.

This argument always falls flat on its face when you look at Tesla. Tesla has proven for years that lack of CarPlay isn’t a sales killer.

So yes, while they may lose your business, there’s no evidence whatsoever they’re losing the market over it. BMW even came out and said CarPlay’s popularity is a myth and said they won’t be going ahead with CarPlay Ultra.
 
Respectfully, that’s a personal preference, not evidence of “significant business loss.”

Some buyers absolutely won’t consider a car without CarPlay, that’s valid. But extrapolating “they probably lost significant business” from one purchase decision doesn’t hold up, especially in the luxury EV space.

This argument always falls flat on its face when you look at Tesla. Tesla has proven for years that lack of CarPlay isn’t a sales killer.

So yes, while they may lose your business, there’s no evidence whatsoever they’re losing the market over it. BMW even came out and said CarPlay’s popularity is a myth and said they won’t be going ahead with CarPlay Ultra.
I personally asked my Cadillac dealership during a visit hence my statement. It is significant enough that they had serious discussions to bring it back
 
Respectfully, that’s a personal preference, not evidence of “significant business loss.”

Some buyers absolutely won’t consider a car without CarPlay, that’s valid. But extrapolating “they probably lost significant business” from one purchase decision doesn’t hold up, especially in the luxury EV space.

This argument always falls flat on its face when you look at Tesla. Tesla has proven for years that lack of CarPlay isn’t a sales killer.

So yes, while they may lose your business, there’s no evidence whatsoever they’re losing the market over it. BMW even came out and said CarPlay’s popularity is a myth and said they won’t be going ahead with CarPlay Ultra.
Tesla has a whole lot of other benefits and a huge head start on developing their own stuff, other manufacturers don't have any credibility whatsoever yet.

And yet Tesla is even rumored to be working on CarPlay support anyway

Its not about being a sales killer. Its a low cost effort to get more sales. Of course if you have. a better car and feature set than others you will still win.
 
Last edited:
Tesla has a whole lot of other benefits and a huge head start on developing their own stuff, other manufacturers don't have any credibility whatsoever yet.

And yet Tesla is even rumored to be working on CarPlay support anyway

Its not about being a sales killer. Its a low cost effort to get more sales. Of course if you have. a better car and feature set than others you will still win.
And it's all relative to what it would otherwise be. There's always buyers at the margins, wavering between one car or the other, and something seemingly small like that often is the difference-maker in the choice. As you alluded to... just because Tesla had good sales (within the EV segment) doesn't mean they wouldn't have been even better with a popular feature like CP or AA.
 
What Lucid or any manufacturer doesn't fully replicate is the Google Maps integration that AA has. I like using the same mapping system in the car that I use on my desktop computer and my phone. I'm on Maps constantly. It's how I explore and plan. I have tons of starred locations that show up in AA. My recent searches automatically appear in AA. And the nav is maybe the best there is, but moreover, it's familiar which makes it easiest for me to use. Really the only reason I find to use the car's nav is the EV parts that AA may not do -- SOC on arrival (if the manufacture fails to add that integration), preconditioning (again, if the mfgr fails to integrate that), etc.
I find this a legit point, even though I'm in Apple's sphere instead of Google's: I'm constantly helping my wife plan for upcoming days of multiple real estate showings by planning all the stops on our MacBook, then transferring from her iPhone to the iMaps in her Apple CarPlay in her Taycan. It's this seamless experience that makes her such a fan of CarPlay.
Me, I can use any map 'cause I'm old AF and grew up with paper road maps from AAA and Thomas Guides, but she will not like having to jump from iMaps to HERE nav in the Gravity
 
To me I like using a mix of navigation apps to plan my route, and having it on a big screen will be useful. I also use Google Music (despite the loqer bitrate), Audible, and Google Books for lots of my listening and Android Auto will make that easier. But, as expressed here before, the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is Gemini, which has been super helpful on trips in my wife's Hyundai Palisade. Interested to see what Volvo does with that in the EX60, and although I know many of those deeply integrated features previewed by Volvo are unlikely to make it to Lucid vehicles natively, perhaps some will flow down in a limited way.
 
Back
Top