CarPlay in Gravity

What Lucid or any manufacturer doesn't fully replicate is the Google Maps integration that AA has...
Many, many cars have an app store with native Google maps that integrates fully, with excellent EV route planning, accurate SOC estimation, accident/police notifications, etc. You can also run Waze if that's your thing.
 
Many, many cars have an app store with native Google maps that integrates fully, with excellent EV route planning, accurate SOC estimation, accident/police notifications, etc. You can also run Waze if that's your thing.
ie GM
 
2.5 million cars from Volvo alone, plus many major manufacturers. Mercedes just announced that they're dropping their inbred UX and are switching to a modern infotainment system with an app store, including native Google apps, Waze, YouTube, and all the usual streaming media apps.

It's just so much easier to plan a route on your phone or desktop, or your friend sends you a Google maps link, and you get in the car and follow the exact same route without translation errors.
 
I personally asked my Cadillac dealership during a visit hence my statement. It is significant enough that they had serious discussions to bring it back
Well I'm glad that one sales guy at a franchised dealership seems to know the inner workings at GM to know that information. Google it, there's no mention of that whatsoever and this is the problem. You're simply stating what you heard from one person or your own personal opinion as fact when you've got no data to back it up. Here some info

  • Consumer Demand: A 2022 survey indicated that 79% of U.S. buyers would only purchase a car if it supported Apple CarPlay.
  • Purchasing Factor: Roughly 23% of new car buyers consider CarPlay a "must-have," while 56% are interested in having it, according to a Strategy Analytics study.
  • Preventing Sales Loss: Car manufacturers that lack Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto) risk losing customers, with 14% of consumers stating they would switch brands if their preferred, phone-like interface was not included.
  • Industry Adoption: Even brands that previously resisted, such as Tesla, have looked into adding Apple CarPlay to boost flagging sales.
  • Value Retention: The presence of Apple CarPlay can increase a vehicle's resale value, as buyers seek modern, integrated technology.
So while 79% say they would only purchase a car with CarPlay only 23% of that group say it's a MUST HAVE and actually may follow though. This is a prime example of what people say vs what people do are two very different things. The only reason Tesla is considering adding it as they're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks in order to get sales back up, who knows if adding it will give them a small, medium or large boost in sales (I'm predicting small).


Clearly some people do see it as a dealbreaker (you included) but let's not skew the facts and say that Automakers are going to lose a tonne of sales dropping or not offering it when there's no strong evidence to back it up. Hearsay is not a valid argument.
 
Well I'm glad that one sales guy at a franchised dealership seems to know the inner workings at GM to know that information. Google it, there's no mention of that whatsoever and this is the problem. You're simply stating what you heard from one person or your own personal opinion as fact when you've got no data to back it up. Here some info

  • Consumer Demand: A 2022 survey indicated that 79% of U.S. buyers would only purchase a car if it supported Apple CarPlay.
  • Purchasing Factor: Roughly 23% of new car buyers consider CarPlay a "must-have," while 56% are interested in having it, according to a Strategy Analytics study.
  • Preventing Sales Loss: Car manufacturers that lack Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto) risk losing customers, with 14% of consumers stating they would switch brands if their preferred, phone-like interface was not included.
  • Industry Adoption: Even brands that previously resisted, such as Tesla, have looked into adding Apple CarPlay to boost flagging sales.
  • Value Retention: The presence of Apple CarPlay can increase a vehicle's resale value, as buyers seek modern, integrated technology.
So while 79% say they would only purchase a car with CarPlay only 23% of that group say it's a MUST HAVE and actually may follow though. This is a prime example of what people say vs what people do are two very different things. The only reason Tesla is considering adding it as they're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks in order to get sales back up, who knows if adding it will give them a small, medium or large boost in sales (I'm predicting small).


Clearly some people do see it as a dealbreaker (you included) but let's not skew the facts and say that Automakers are going to lose a tonne of sales dropping or not offering it when there's no strong evidence to back it up. Hearsay is not a valid argument.
I'm not going to nitpick cherry picked statistics from small sample size "studies" with you as it's a waste of time. I personally trust personal connections with people doing sales and receiving instructions and providing feedback to the company for them to make business decisions which is reasonable enough to think that was asked of all their dealerships to understand customer wants better. But you believe what you want, and I will believe what I want.

I agree I should not have made a blanket statement about losing tons of sales - although I did specifically say "probably", my point was it was a significant enough thing to re-visit their decision and they spent the time and resources to look more. Tesla also entertaining it is another hint that it's a worthy enough thing to spend time and resources on - something businesses don't do lightly if it's a clear cut waste of time with no demand or possible sales impact.

My main point isn't about CarPlay specifically, it is two points:
1. Native apps from Android/Google (Nav, or others), and Apple apps (Nav, Music etc)
2. The opportunity cost of putting in something simple and quick - you free up resources and time to focus on your own offerings while keeping customers happy.

Personally I think CarPlay will die. But having those native apps for many people in the ecosystem is something car manufacturers will have an uphill battle with unless they really branch out to building out their own Nav system for people to use on their phone or computers as an example.
 
Is that something that can be done? Are there any other EVs that use Android Auto/CarPlay (rather than native Android Automotive) that integrate EV route planning directly into the Google Maps / Apple Maps implementation, or is that limited for security or other reasons? I was thinking that I'd just end up with a more usable mix of ABRP (which can be linked to the vehicle) and the native routeplanner when Android Auto becomes available.
A number of companies use Apple Maps with EV routing:
Porsche, for instance: https://www.porsche.com/usa/legal/apple-maps-ev-routing
Ford also: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...ric-vehicle-ev-routing-feature-in-apple-maps/

There are probably others. I don't know the extent of the EV routing in Apple Maps, but it's supposed to find chargers for your trip based on your battery SOC and drain rate.

Tesla has proven for years that lack of CarPlay isn’t a sales killer.
Two things about that: 1) Tesla took infotainment seriously and developed a pretty great system over the years. Are other OEMs going to put in that kind of effort and have that kind of success? and 2) Tesla has given in and is adding CarPlay support.

I also like having nav on one screen and music on the other, which is not possible with CarPlay.
There are some cars that support showing CarPlay navigation on the instrument cluster while the main screen is running the rest of CarPlay. And CarPlay itself supports a Split-Screen, where you can show both apps at the same time.

For Gravity, while Apple certainly has some restrictions, some of this is going to depend on what Lucid decides to do.
 
1) Tesla took infotainment seriously and developed a pretty great system over the years. Are other OEMs going to put in that kind of effort and have that kind of success?
If they want to not add CarPlay, yes, they’ll have to. Otherwise: they’ll fail and add CarPlay.
 
Regardless of to CarPlay or not to CarPlay. LUCID!!! For the love of god, please implement native Apple Music into the Air and Gravity 🤞🤞
 
So, am I the only one missing the Messages app from CarPlay?

In Gravity, whenever I get a text message, a phone screen pops up. My first thought is always that I'm getting a call, but no, it's Lucid thinking I want to call the person/company that just texted me. But, why would I do that when I don't know what the text message says - because Lucid does not show nor read it to me, much less let me respond via voice.

Which is what CarPlay enables. It ain't all about music and nav, at least to me.
 
So, am I the only one missing the Messages app from CarPlay?

In Gravity, whenever I get a text message, a phone screen pops up. My first thought is always that I'm getting a call, but no, it's Lucid thinking I want to call the person/company that just texted me. But, why would I do that when I don't know what the text message says - because Lucid does not show nor read it to me, much less let me respond via voice.

Which is what CarPlay enables. It ain't all about music and nav, at least to me.

I don't use it as much anymore since I retired but that was definitely one of the better features of CarPlay. Being able to have the texts read to you and/or reply by voice was great. Having nav tied to your calendar was really nice too, being able to get in and quickly route to the address in a scheduled appointment was very nice.
 
I don't use it as much anymore since I retired but that was definitely one of the better features of CarPlay. Being able to have the texts read to you and/or reply by voice was great. Having nav tied to your calendar was really nice too, being able to get in and quickly route to the address in a scheduled appointment was very nice.
The Gravity reads them too if you press the Play triangle
 
The Gravity reads them too if you press the Play triangle
It reads them but you can only respond back with preset responses right?
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260204_215802137.webp
    PXL_20260204_215802137.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
I agree if the voice to text was like Tesla I’d not care about CarPlay except fir Waze
 
Consumer Demand: A 2022 survey indicated that 79% of U.S. buyers would only purchase a car if it supported Apple CarPlay.

This stat clearly is misstated (common in surveys) or shows the sample size is skewed given US market percentage is ~ 58% iPhone , 40% Android.

I'm in the "Native apps, please!" Category.
 
Many, many cars have an app store with native Google maps that integrates fully, with excellent EV route planning, accurate SOC estimation, accident/police notifications, etc. You can also run Waze if that's your thing.
The Gravity doesn't. At least not yet. That's pretty much what Android Auto is. Most manufacturers do have that. Looking forward to it (hopefully) later this year in the Gravity.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top