Car Washing...what are your tips and tricks

What is the recommended care for my Lucid without PPF or ceramic coating? I currently wash once a week with a touchless automatic car wash. Should I look into waxing to protect the finish? I want to keep or even enhance the gloss look of my cars paint.

What is the recommended care for my Lucid without PPF or ceramic coating? I currently wash once a week with a touchless automatic car wash. Should I look into waxing to protect the finish? I want to keep or even enhance the gloss look of my cars paint.
Wax or a DIY ceramic coating should help add shine and make it easier to clean. The ceramic also adds a bit of paint protection, but not as much as PPF does. As @Bunnylebowski can attest, a DIY ceramic isn't the easiest process in the world, so it'd be easier to take it to a professional to make sure it's well done. The pro ceramics also have greater strength and longevity.

Wax or a DIY ceramic coating should help add shine and make it easier to clean. The ceramic also adds a bit of paint protection, but not as much as PPF does. As @Bunnylebowski can attest, a DIY ceramic isn't the easiest process in the world, so it'd be easier to take it to a professional to make sure it's well done. The pro ceramics also have greater strength and longevity.
What can I expect to pay someone to apply ceramic?

What can I expect to pay someone to apply ceramic?
I got PPF and ceramic on top of it, plus ceramic on my wheels and windshield, which cost $7800 total. Ceramic alone is much cheaper, but I have no idea how much, and it may be regional too. Paging @TotalDetailingPA for some more insight.

One more variable here: my PPF guy told me XPel requires that only XPel products be used on their PPF; otherwise, the warranty is void.

Aren't you supposed to avoid putting wax over a ceramic coating? From what I've read, wax reduces the hydrophobicity of the ceramic coating and attracts more dust because of the 'waxiness.' It's better to use sprays that rejuvenate the ceramic (like Throttle I mentioned above).

Here's what Shine Supply says about protecting ceramic coatings:
Good to know! I will try throttle. Thanks!

Ceramic alone usually costs around $600 I believe
That's for a simple coating that may last a year or so, something like a Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra which is a nine year coating will cost $3-4K, plus an annual $300.00 a year maintenance treatment.

That's for a simple coating that may last a year or so, something like a Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra which is a nine year coating will cost $3-4K, plus an annual $300.00 a year maintenance treatment.
Do basic ceramic coating where they do alcohol, remove contaminants and iron, and do a basic sio2 sealant.

Then just buy throttle or one of the other spray on and rinse off solutions to maintain. Over a year now and that's what I've been doing and the ceramic coating is solid

I tried ONR today for the first time and was blown away at how easy, quick and effective that product is.. I'm a fan... I went to the garage again just to see the shiny Touring

Last edited:
If you're washing once a week, you definitely need to protect the finish. Old timers (like me) and car show guys swear by Meguiar's Yellow Wax. Their latest product is Hi-Tech #26. I've since switched to Ctechniq C2V3 (suggestion from my younger neighbor who is a car nut). Seems to last well and also seems to collect less dust.

I tried ONR today for the first time and was blown away at how easy, quick and effective that product is.. I'm a fan... I went to the garage again just to see the shiny Touring
I used ONR for years and recently switched to McKee's N-914 Rinseless Wash. Can't go wrong with either.

+1. A pro detailer turned me on to ONR and the Big Red Sponge, using a grit guard in the bucket. And keeping the BRS damp with ONR in a baggie after use. Try it wiping done interior plastic. Tons of uses. Even granite counter tops.

What I love about ONR is that it really works, universally loved by pros, and is fairly priced. I am convinced that consumer car detailing products were invented so that men could flush away a billion dollars just like women do on cosmetics. i am waiting for the Chemical Guys marketing repackaging greed machine to come out with a different overpriced bird poop remover for each species: crows, blue Jay's, sparrows, Robin's.

+1. A pro detailer turned me on to ONR and the Big Red Sponge, using a grit guard in the bucket. And keeping the BRS damp with ONR in a baggie after use. Try it wiping done interior plastic. Tons of uses. Even granite counter tops.

What I love about ONR is that it really works, universally loved by pros, and is fairly priced. I am convinced that consumer car detailing products were invented so that men could flush away a billion dollars just like women do on cosmetics. i am waiting for the Chemical Guys marketing repackaging greed machine to come out with a different overpriced bird poop remover for each species: crows, blue Jay's, sparrows, Robin's.
I ordered the Red sponge and then a Marolex pump sprayer bottle .. and cos I'm lazy .. and the car wasn't too too dirty... I experimented with just spraying the onr solution on the car one side at a time...waiting 30 seconds... and drying it with towels ...I was done in abt 10 mins..and felt like I discovered a major life hack ..! I then did all the windows with Invisible Glass.

So .. can I use the same solution for cleaning internal screens and car seats etc too? I'm wary of using what's supposed to go on the outside.. inside.. but I'm very new to onr..

Last edited:
I washed the red one this afternoon for the first time. Wow. The combination of PPF and Ammo Froth’e makes cleaning the car an absolute breeze 😎

On my recent road trip from Seattle up to ski at Whistler my Lucid picked up the expected amount of road salt.
Coming back through Vancouver I readily found -- touchless automatic car wash.
Worked great to get the salt off. Five minutes.
I'm unable to find any here in Seattle -- three in areas an hour out of town, none closer.

On my recent road trip from Seattle up to ski at Whistler my Lucid picked up the expected amount of road salt.
I'm unable to find any here in Seattle -- three in areas an hour out of town, none closer.
Just find a self serve car wash and spray it down real quick yourself, the flowing water will be warmer than the frozen ice on your car and should thaw it. Plus the pressure should knock it off. Takes 30 seconds

I’ve used those in a pinch, just make sure you have a LOT of high quality drying towels cuz those washes will hide water and it just keeps coming out after you think it’s dry.

You always remember your first time🤪
I’ve used those in a pinch, just make sure you have a LOT of high quality drying towels cuz those washes will hide water and it just keeps coming out after you think it’s dry.
McKees 37 N-914 is great for a quick cleaning. Mix with distilled water. Clean one panel at a time. Spray on and wipe dry with high quality microfiber.

Back