Car Washing...what are your tips and tricks

McKees 37 N-914 is great for a quick cleaning. Mix with distilled water. Clean one panel at a time. Spray on and wipe dry with high quality microfiber.
Agreed, same with ONR. Good point on the distilled water.

Fyi, Amazon has the ZEP industrial grade 32oz spray bottles for 3.70. the BEST. you can make your own dilutions. Especially for Purple cleaner.

Marolex Industry Ergo Alka 2000... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0922VZDDZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I highly recommend the bottle above...bit expensive but I think it's so well built that my son will get it in inheritance...I've done the math for this size of bottle for ONR... per ONR, for regular cleaning, we need 8ml ONR per 2 litres. I just spray it on when the sun is down, let it sit for 2 mins.. wipe off .. 10 mins I'm done...

Marolex Industry Ergo Alka 2000... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0922VZDDZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I highly recommend the bottle above...bit expensive but I think it's so well built that my son will get it in inheritance...I've done the math for this size of bottle for ONR... per ONR, for regular cleaning, we need 8ml ONR per 2 litres. I just spray it on when the sun is down, let it sit for 2 mins.. wipe off .. 10 mins I'm done...
Wow, that's a beautiful bottle. Just what I need, another car toy to lust after.

Wow, that's a beautiful bottle. Just what I need, another car toy to lust after.
I just cleaned my car 10 mins ago .. the bottle works like a charm.. ONR works great too..and don't need to waste a lot of water at all. Leaves a nice shine too.. today I cleaned all the inside screens with onr too..so let's see how that holds up...

Also I discovered that 8ml is basically one capful from the 8oz bottle ..

I’ve made my own “to-go” ONR bottle but I’ve found it starts to precipitate out of solution after a couple days and faster if the temps are cold.

With ONR don't you still need to rinse it? Or do you just spray ONR and wipe it dry?
Is it really worth it? I just do one panel at a time with 2 bucket soap and water

With ONR don't you still need to rinse it? Or do you just spray ONR and wipe it dry?
Is it really worth it? I just do one panel at a time with 2 bucket soap and water
The NR in ONR stands for No Rinse 😉
It is fantastic especially for this time of year when I don’t want to be cold and wet outside for a long time.

The NR in ONR stands for No Rinse 😉
It is fantastic especially for this time of year when I don’t want to be cold and wet outside for a long time.
Yeah, but every video I saw still needed some type of a pre-rinse or soemthing with the sponge, and I always wondered if spraying and wiping off would need more lubrication to avoid swirl marks.

Is the ONR very slick? Or do you need a drying detailing agent?

Yeah, but every video I saw still needed some type of a pre-rinse or soemthing with the sponge, and I always wondered if spraying and wiping off would need more lubrication to avoid swirl marks.

Is the ONR very slick? Or do you need a drying detailing agent?
You can use ONR as a quick detail spray, just spray on and wipe off, if the car isn't TOO dirty. The spray itself acts as a lubricant to cut down on swirling. I've used ONR to clean my car for months just using a pre-mixed detail spray and not using the buckets. Worked great, took 10 minutes and kept the car clean and shiny.

You can use ONR as a quick detail spray, just spray on and wipe off, if the car isn't TOO dirty. The spray itself acts as a lubricant to cut down on swirling. I've used ONR to clean my car for months just using a pre-mixed detail spray and not using the buckets. Worked great, took 10 minutes and kept the car clean and shiny.
Will it leave scum if you miss drying it off? I had that issue with soap in some tight spots so I had to get a spray bottle to make sure I rinse off the not so easy to reach areas like between panels

Will it leave scum if you miss drying it off? I had that issue with soap in some tight spots so I had to get a spray bottle to make sure I rinse off the not so easy to reach areas like between panels
Nope, you just spray on and wipe off. It dries pretty clear for spots I missed, but then you have a little patch of dirt. Just a quick spray to clean that spot up usually works.

Yeah I saw lots of YouTube videos doing this and that... me being the larda** I am, just decided to experiment with spray on and wipe clean... worked like a charm...took 2 mins to spray on around the car.. emptied the full 2L mix... then took 2 super absorbent detailing towels.. dry it off... done. Left a good shine. Just do it...

Oh and in addition, prior to using ONR mix I spray my front bumper with 3S bug spray.. let it sit for a minute.. then do ONR...this protocol is what I found most efficient... I'm done in about 15-20 mins tops

If you’re in freezing temperatures you’ve got to dry it off relatively quick as a weird film can result from if you missed a spot, but that comes off easily if you just re-spray the area and wipe again.

I'm so irritated. I had to go through a car wash this morning ahead of some meetings, and I noticed it took a couple of chips out of the wheels (only one thankfully). So annoying. Is there a fix for these things? I dont want to get the entire wheel machined. The car is only 4 weeks old. :(

I'm so irritated. I had to go through a car wash this morning ahead of some meetings, and I noticed it took a couple of chips out of the wheels (only one thankfully). So annoying. Is there a fix for these things? I dont want to get the entire wheel machined. The car is only 4 weeks old. :(
A refinish could be easily done! Is there a picture of this?

Before I sold my Model S I had a mobile wheel repair guy come and take care of some curb rash. He worked absolute wonders, you couldn't see the repair at all. This was a painted wheel, though, if the chips are on the machined portion of the wheel it may be more difficult.

Try McKee rinseless wash. Faster than going to car wash.

Back