Car Software Update cadence

Senior VP Mike Bell resigned today, effective immediately. He was head of software development. Thoughts?
He switches from company to company. Not surprised. Those that feel lucid software is subpar will be happy. Those that feel lucid software is great will be disappointed.

He switches from company to company. Not surprised. Those that feel lucid software is subpar will be happy. Those that feel lucid software is great will be disappointed.
True, he was brought in to fix Lucid's software woes early on and clearly played a pivotal role in UX3.0 which seems to address many owners complaints for the existing software. To not even stick around for UX3.0's release? weird.....

Could be a good thing or could be a bad thing, time will tell.

maybe he saw the software team was in such disarray he couldn't fix anything, so he bounced 😜 🤣

True, he was brought in to fix Lucid's software woes early on and clearly played a pivotal role in UX3.0 which seems to address many owners complaints for the existing software. To not even stick around for UX3.0's release? weird.....

Could be a good thing or could be a bad thing, time will tell.
Reminds me of this 🤣

1715098296102.png

I noticed that too when I was looking for info on him yesterday.

Lucid is all about the marriage of Design + Engineering and I believe Mike was likely brought in to help fix the mismatch between Hardware + Software.
I'm a new owner, so I didn't have to endure the laggy interface days but it's clear that mismatch existed. With Gravity, my guess is the screen hardware and software are much more tightly integrated than before. I just hope some of that trickles back to the Airs.

Very close to pulling the trigger on an Air Touring. Have been looking at the site OTA Updates to see how often and what features have been updated on the car. What are everyone's thoughts on the cadence of updates compared to their competition e.g Lucid, Rivian etc. My sense, from the outside looking in, is that they're not moving as fast as these two? For instance there's been no meaningful update to the car software wise since February.
The other way to look at this is that the Air software is at a good stable place and does not need tweaking at this point. I remember the days of several updates per week to fix annoyances. Now, surprise, surprise, the software is decent as is and that's great. Sure I would like new features. But as a daily driver the current Lucid software is just fine.

I suspect that we will see an Air update ? UX3.0 at some point near the opening of the Gravity order book opening. It would generate double buzz. I think that the Air UX will borrow as many cues from the Gravity as hardware will allow. It would make sense for Lucid to have a unified new look from a software perspective when Gravity opens the order queue. Just my thoughts.

The other way to look at this is that the Air software is at a good stable place and does not need tweaking at this point. I remember the days of several updates per week to fix annoyances. Now, surprise, surprise, the software is decent as is and that's great. Sure I would like new features. But as a daily driver the current Lucid software is just fine.
I am glad that your Air's software is acceptable, but, in my personal experience, it is not "just fine." I've had my Air for less than a week and have already had Mobile Key issues, PIN to Drive issues, doors that don't want to open, and a Homelink that will not program. That's even before we talk about weird UI choices like how the Pilot Panel and dash screens interact, the fact that RGB lighting can be set to only six presets, that drive modes are locked choices and we can't mix and match different parameters or customize the modes, etc.

These are all very software functions that are not at the level of peer companies, not to mention industry leaders. I think the Air still needs some serious attention to, at a minimum, the access control functions. As a Tesla owner (same here), I'm guessing you see a night and day difference in terms of the level of functionality and polish between the two products.

maybe he saw the software team was in such disarray he couldn't fix anything, so he bounced 😜 🤣
This isn’t addressed directly to you, @momo3605, but more generally.

We don’t know why Mike left; let’s not speculate. It could be anything from “they didn’t get along” to “someone got cancer and that took priority.” I have absolutely no idea, and neither does anyone else here.

It’s one thing to speculate about Elon, who thrives in the celebrity and puts himself out there; but Mike very much doesn’t seem to want to be a celebrity. I’d suggest we not try and make him one.

Just my thoughts.

Those that have no opinion will continue to have no opinion. ;)

I am glad that your Air's software is acceptable, but, in my personal experience, it is not "just fine." I've had my Air for less than a week and have already had Mobile Key issues, PIN to Drive issues, doors that don't want to open, and a Homelink that will not program. That's even before we talk about weird UI choices like how the Pilot Panel and dash screens interact, the fact that RGB lighting can be set to only six presets, that drive modes are locked choices and we can't mix and match different parameters or customize the modes, etc.

These are all very software functions that are not at the level of peer companies, not to mention industry leaders. I think the Air still needs some serious attention to, at a minimum, the access control functions. As a Tesla owner (same here), I'm guessing you see a night and day difference in terms of the level of functionality and polish between the two products.
I also have a Rivian RS1 in addition to two Tesla Model 3 and the Lucid GT. So I have had plenty of time with all of the UI's across these three brands. They all have different "personalities". Overall, my favorite car of the three brands is the Lucid Air. Tesla UI has some advantages (great nav, fast screen response), but disadvantages as well-- Hey, Elon, where is CarPlay? How about SiriusXM? I use both everyday in the Air without any hassles. They are important to me.

My Teslas still have trouble figuring out which iPhone to connect to via bluetooth when I get into the car after another family member has driven one of our Teslas. This is annoying and important in a Tesla since Elon forces me to use the iPhone apps to listen to SiriusXM and for Siri integration. Lucid Air has wireless CarPlay which uses WifFi not bluetooth and is fast and reliable.

My daughter's Tesla iPhone key "disappeared" a few days ago (she thought Daddy was mad at her and deleted it which was amusing). We had and to reboot the Tesla and her phone to get it back.

Native SirisuXM and CarPlay with Siri integration are important to me. Lucid is far ahead of Tesla in these areas which are important to ME. It's not right or wrong, just a preference.

My Tesla Model 3's have no control of dashboard lighting at all so would Lucid offers me is superior as well.

Rivian software is surprisingly excellent -- but lacks CarPlay and SiriusXM (although SiriusXM is promised to be a native app in the near future). Rivian has far fewer issues that Tesla in figuring out which iPhone to connect to with bluetooth.

I suggest you contact Lucid to work through the issues with the Mobile Key because mine now works every time.

Senior VP Mike Bell resigned today, effective immediately. He was head of software development. Thoughts?
Tesla fired lot of good and experienced crowed. Good opportunity to fill new ideas, experience and energy in to Lucid.

1. Apple Music support
  2. Auto open/close for homelink (or better access to homelink “button)
  3. Don’t lock when at home (stop mobile key constantly unlocking/locking in my garage)
Apple Music would be nice but works pretty well with CarPlay.

My homelink button appears when I am approaching my gararge. Yours should.

Don’t lock at home is a good suggestion and seems like a pretty easy add.

Personally concerning

Apple Music would be nice but works pretty well with CarPlay.

Don’t lock at home is a good suggestion and seems like a pretty easy add.
Ehh car play audio gets compressed quite a bit and selecting music on the small screen while driving is not the greatest. I do like it better than the native music interface though to be fair.

Homelink has been talked about at great lengths here and I would say is widely accepted at this point that homelink works but could be improved as it's not the most intuitive. Auto open and close would be phenomenal but a close second would be a better location for the button especially while backing up.

Agree on the last point.

The trick to this is ensuring you set it up in front of your garage, and not elsewhere. It geofences to where it was set up.

Personally concerning

Why? Without context, I don’t assume the worst 🤷‍♂️

Back