Car backs up while in drive

Adnillien

Referral Code K9WIJHB0
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Referral Code
K9WIJHB0
I know a couple of other owners have commented on this but I do not remember the resolution. The car stayed in reverse even when I put in drive. For background, I had driven over a small hump and put the car in park for some pictures with @Pwmac. When I got back in and put it into drive, the car backed up instead of moving forward. I put it in reveres and the car still backed up. I then put it back into drive again and the car still backed up. I then exited the car, locked it and rebooted it. All was normal after that. This seems like an odd but potentially dangerous fault. I have submitted this to Customer care.

I didn’t know this was a thing even with all the reading I’ve done. Thanks for the heads up and reporting to customer service.

I know a couple of other owners have commented on this but I do not remember the resolution. The car stayed in reverse even when I put in drive. For background, I had driven over a small hump and put the car in park for some pictures with @Pwmac. When I got back in and put it into drive, the car backed up instead of moving forward. I put it in reveres and the car still backed up. I then put it back into drive again and the car still backed up. I then exited the car, locked it and rebooted it. All was normal after that. This seems like an odd but potentially dangerous fault. I have submitted this to Customer care.
I had the same issue. They said it was software miscommunication that updated software should fix it. This was back in May. At the time a reboot fixed it.

I've only had this happen on any sort of hill or hump like you said. I've always attributed it to a slip in the differential before one of the cogs there engages or whatever because it doesn't keep going it just slides back or forward a little.

I had an interesting response from Customer Care. Their first response was to tell me how to use stop or hold mode. The bug that occured may be related to this mode but it was normal behavior. After reiterating what occurred that want my car in for service. I have no issue bringing my car in for a day to two and getting a free detailing if it will help Lucid resolve the issue. However, if it is like @changenow says, I am not sure that bringing it in will do anything.

When mine did that it was because it glitched and went into Roll mode and then got stuck there, and it took two reboots to be able to put it back into brake hold mode. At least they're aware this can happen, so maybe an update will make this a never-event. It only happened to me that one time but it could cause an accident.

Had a similar issue today - went to back out of a parking space, put the car in reverse and it went forward instead! - was very lucky I was accelerating only slightly and had a few feet of space in front of the vehicle so hit nothing. In drive it went forward as well. Tried an unsuccessful re-boot with customer care on the line and had to do a second one with the valet card as the car would not otherwise go to sleep. Was fine after the re-boot (so far) but a hell of a glitch... customer care guy said it was the first time he had heard of this problem.

Had a similar issue today - went to back out of a parking space, put the car in reverse and it went forward instead! - was very lucky I was accelerating only slightly and had a few feet of space in front of the vehicle so hit nothing. In drive it went forward as well. Tried an unsuccessful re-boot with customer care on the line and had to do a second one with the valet card as the car would not otherwise go to sleep. Was fine after the re-boot (so far) but a hell of a glitch... customer care guy said it was the first time he had heard of this problem.
I am glad you contacted customer care. Service pulled the data logs from my car and sent to engineering but I have not heard anything else. When it happened to you, were you parked on any sort of slope where the slope may have been different between the front and back wheels?

Wow!! This is a scary problem.

We’re you going downward ramp when reversing?

I am glad you contacted customer care. Service pulled the data logs from my car and sent to engineering but I have not heard anything else. When it happened to you, were you parked on any sort of slope where the slope may have been different between the front and back wheels?
Yes! The car was parked on a moderate upwards slope. Before the issue was resolved with the reboot, I was able to put it in neutral and coast backwards to my original position. Interesting that there could be a correlation with this problem and the car not being horizontal. I did not mention the slope to customer care, nor did they ask.

Yes! The car was parked on a moderate upwards slope. Before the issue was resolved with the reboot, I was able to put it in neutral and coast backwards to my original position. Interesting that there could be a correlation with this problem and the car not being horizontal. I did not mention the slope to customer care, nor did they ask.
With the hold mode turned on, I've seen the car do weird stuff while backing out of my driveway which has a decent amount of upward slope from the road. The first time it happened to me, it was really disconcerting. I was trying to back out of the driveway and once the rear wheels where roughly at the point where slope meets flat ground, the car decided to move forward and put me back where I started from!! It truly was a WTF moment. Since then, I've figured backing out slowly and at an angle (to not scrape the front bottom) largely got rid of this problem.

The car probably behaves differently in "creep" mode but I've never bothered testing.

With the hold mode turned on, I've seen the car do weird stuff while backing out of my driveway which has a decent amount of upward slope from the road. The first time it happened to me, it was really disconcerting. I was trying to back out of the driveway and once the rear wheels where roughly at the point where slope meets flat ground, the car decided to move forward and put me back where I started from!! It truly was a WTF moment. Since then, I've figured backing out slowly and at an angle (to not scrape the front bottom) largely got rid of this problem.

The car probably behaves differently in "creep" mode but I've never bothered testing.
Sorry, I forgot to add this key piece of info - the car pulled itself back on to the driveway once I removed my foot from the accelerator. I had to do that to slow it down because I did not want to fly down the driveway and I was just getting used to the Lucid - and EVs in general.

This moving in the opposite direction has to be tied to gear cogging in the motor differential right? Because it only moves a little bit and stops itself.

My driveway is 200' going downhill, could this be an issue?
When I go downhill on mine, 30’, sometimes reverse came slightly toward instead. I was wondering was it bc one pedal driving high regen phenomenon. But that is not nothing major. I have adjusted to 1 pedal basically all the way now as prefer way of driving.

Exact same issue - see my post of May 12, 2022 “Just took delivery.” Haven’t had the problem recently since the various software updates.

I haven’t received my AGT yet but this makes me very nervous. If this happens in my garage where I’m within a few feet of a wall or if I’m parallel parked where there’s a few feet between me and another car, it could cause huge damage to my car, my house or another vehicle.

My concern is whose responsibility is this? Not to mention the damage to my $140,000 car.

This can’t ever happen….

Honestly, it sounds less safe than when you experience it; it only happens on hills, and so after the first one or two times you learn to just be ready with the brake if it does, similar to a manual.

I do hope they fix it though.

Back