Car backs up while in drive

It happened to me a few days ago when I was backing into my garage. Because of the tight angle and incline of my garage, I had to go back and forth between D and R a few times to get in. Around the 3rd time switching from R to D and while on a decline (front of the car facing a downward slope), it would go in reverse while FOR SURE in D. Tried switching back and forth between R and D at least 2x and still would go in reverse. And then the next time it switched successfully.

In hindsight I should have taken a video.

It happened to me a few days ago when I was backing into my garage. Because of the tight angle and incline of my garage, I had to go back and forth between D and R a few times to get in. Around the 3rd time switching from R to D and while on a decline (front of the car facing a downward slope), it would go in reverse while FOR SURE in D. Tried switching back and forth between R and D at least 2x and still would go in reverse. And then the next time it switched successfully.

In hindsight I should have taken a video.
This happen to me too once, in downhill slope of my driveway ramp with my trunk facing downhill direction, my reverse became drive forward. I thought it might be regenerative brake of accelerator causing that issue. I switched to neutral, it glided down ok with light brake. I never put much thought to it.

This has happened to me twice now. Always while backing out of a driveway with an incline change to the pavement in front of the car.

Just saw this post on the BMW forum:
"Hi guys, I need HELP please!
My BMW I4 just crashed yesterday. While I was traveling on the highway with driving assist on, the car suddenly steered the wheel and turned to the exit lane. It ended up hitting the curbside guardrail very hard and caused me out of control of the car. Airbag deployed, look like total loss, luckily I survived. I put my hand on the wheel, tried to take over the control in the second when it steered but could not help avoid the collision. My question is, for my case what should I do? How do I claim the manufacture for the Defective/malfunction technology. Will they take any responsibility or I need to file law suit? Anything I can do with my insurance? It's brand new car I4 edrive40, just bought it 1 month ago :( Never expect something like that happened to me
Please help to give me any legal advice is possible!
Thanks"
Apparently, this had happened one time prior, and he was able to take corrective actions and averted an accident.

My BMW I4 just crashed yesterday. While I was traveling on the highway with driving assist on, the car suddenly steered the wheel and turned to the exit lane. It ended up hitting the curbside guardrail very hard and caused me out of control of the car. Airbag deployed, look like total loss, luckily I survived. I put my hand on the wheel, tried to take over the control in the second when it steered but could not help avoid the collision. My question is, for my case what should I do? How do I claim the manufacture for the Defective/malfunction technology. Will they take any responsibility or I need to file law suit? Anything I can do with my insurance? It's brand new car I4 edrive40, just bought it 1 month ago :( Never expect something like that happened to me
Thanks"
Apparently, this had happened one time prior, and he was able to take corrective actions and averted an accident.
😮😮😮. The lane keep on my Mercedes was overly aggressive, not easy to take over, I wonder if they’re using similar technology. With the last few OTA on the Lucid I found the steering intervention to be far less aggressive and easy to override thank goodness, it also just intervenes less and more accurately also.

😮😮😮. The lane keep on my Mercedes was overly aggressive, not easy to take over, I wonder if they’re using similar technology. With the last few OTA on the Lucid I found the steering intervention to be far less aggressive and easy to override thank goodness, it also just intervenes less and more accurately also.
Maybe Lucid saw this story and was like..."TUNE DOWN THE LANE KEEP!"

Maybe Lucid saw this story and was like..."TUNE DOWN THE LANE KEEP!"
This kind to stories seems to be pervasive across brands and makes me kind of wonder about the maturity of the technology.
He also posted that the dashcam in BMW would turn off 10 seconds before impact. I totally don't understand the logic behind it -- and how does it predict?
So this guy now has no video footage of the accident!

I spoke to the service guy at the Beverly Hills service center about this issue. He acknowledged it is an issue but that It’s likely a software issue. Nothing they can do about it at the service center.

I experienced the issue three times. It was surprisingly reproducible. Each time it happened when I was coming down a slight slope (e.g. driveway) without fully stopping by using the brake pedal.

Since then, I always use the brake to stop when coming down a slope and the issue hasn’t arisen since then.

This brings up all sorts of interesting questions about responsibility and liability as we add more and more automated functionality to our cars. I think it's an area where unfortunately my pals in Silicon Valley are having a bit of a negative impact. We're so used to moving so fast. And if things aren't perfect when we ship them, no biggie. We'll patch it in the next release.

It's one thing for an app on our phones to misbehave a bit. It's another when a car slams into a wall at highway speeds.

Makes me think there needs to be more structure and safety built into the process of shipping these features. Even if that slows things down considerably. It's also why I'm not terribly anxious to see "full autonomy" in cars for many, many more years.

And who is going to provide this structure and regulation? Our government always seems to be ten years behind tech. I feel like these things should be coming from within the tech community, but they are not. Lack of leadership is going to bite us in the butt long term.

I'd be interested to see if BMW takes responsibility for this. My guess is the driver will need to sue. At the very least, BMW should do an investigation to figure out what actually happened. We've all seen Elon comment about how the driver and the computer in the car tell two different stories.

Usually the truth is somewhere in between. Though lately, I trust these companies less to be giving us the full story of what the car reports, too. After hearing that FSD disengages one second before impact, or that this dashcam was switched off automatically, can we really trust what companies tell us?

Are we going to need to regulate that cameras are constantly recording? Will a certain degree of detail in the computer logs be required?

Glad that person is ok. It's unfortunate that people think that highway assist or whatnot give them the green light to not pay attention while driving. All it is is highway assist, to assist you while driving. It's not intended to drive for you.

This kind to stories seems to be pervasive across brands and makes me kind of wonder about the maturity of the technology.

He also posted that the dashcam in BMW would turn off 10 seconds before impact. I totally don't understand the logic behind it -- and how does it predict?
So this guy now has no video footage of the accident!
Hmmm- I’m not really understanding how the car could predict a collision 10 seconds in advance.

…unless it planned the collision I guess?!? 😮

Thanks"

I use the BMW ACC system a lot on freeways and I find that when an exit comes up, if I am in that lane, it tries to follow the exit instead of the road. One has to fight the system. I usually turn off the lane assistant.

Good luck to the poster on getting BMW to take responsibility. It will likely claim that it's ADAS systems are only an assist system and it is up to the driver to stay alert and avoid accidents.

I had the problem happening to me with the car just delivered one week ago. The car was parked in a slight declined parking position in a parking structure. Hold mode with creep disabled. The car is put in R. It moved forward when I tapping acceleration pedal. What caused this and how to prevent this from happening? If not careful, the car could touch the wall if happens agian.

I had to turn on auto-park out and wait for the neighboring car leaving in order to get the car out safely.

See my post above. They said it was a known software issue. It’s never happened to me again after the incidents I described above. I always press down on the brake and come to a complete stop on any kind of decline or ledge before changing gears or putting my foot on the accelerator.

When you parked, did you let the car roll back a little on the incline before setting it to park?

I reported this issue in May, 2022: Car goes forward when in Reverse and backwards when in Drive, assuming you're on an incline and the sensors don't like what they see. Post 1337. Here's what I said back then:
Imagine that you're in an unfamiliar new car on a steep hill with busy traffic in San Francisco. You turn into a short steep driveway. Your son opens the garage door for you. You put the car in Drive and try to pull forward. Instead, the car goes backwards into oncoming, blind, downhill traffic. You hold the shift lever hard into the Drive position, you take your foot off the brake, and you push the throttle. The car goes forward a little, stops, then reverses into the traffic. OK, you get a running start, slightly scrape the bottom of the car on the abrupt angle of the driveway, and get the car into the garage. Later, you back out of the garage - and this is the fun part - the car goes backwards, stops, and then goes forward even though you are holding the lever in Reverse. At that point, the car stops and refuses to go either forward or backward while the rear end of the car is blocking downhill traffic. It takes some courage to hold the lever in Reverse, floor the accelerator, and lurch backwards into traffic, thus freeing the car from being stuck but having your wife learn some new words in the process.
Or, how about parallel parking on a San Francisco street in a parking space behind a truck with not much room. When you go to leave, you put the car in Reverse (because there's space behind you), but the car goes forward, dangerously closer to the rear of the truck. Stress level 10 as you think you're stuck. Courage required again as you hold the lever firmly in Reverse and aggressively push the accelerator. You're either going to smash into the back of the truck with all the 800+ horsepower of the Lucid Air, or, miracle of miracles, the car actually goes backwards this time - but you'd better be quick on the brakes, hard, or you'll smash the car behind you. When you extricate the car from this situation, you wonder whether this is really the car for you.
So, that's the issue I reported to Lucid Motors. Same thing happens when I try to reverse into my garage when my wife's car is already parked on the other side of the garage. The car goes forward when it's in Reverse. Spooky and dangerous.

Has this been resolved? I don't know. It hasn't recurred, and I was unable to reproduce it in my driveway, so I cancelled the tech visit last May.

See my post above. They said it was a known software issue. It’s never happened to me again after the incidents I described above. I always press down on the brake and come to a complete stop on any kind of decline or ledge before changing gears or putting my foot on the accelerator.

When you parked, did you let the car roll back a little on the incline before setting it to park?
I reported this issue in May, 2022: Car goes forward when in Reverse and backwards when in Drive, assuming you're on an incline and the sensors don't like what they see. Post 1337. Here's what I said back then:
Imagine that you're in an unfamiliar new car on a steep hill with busy traffic in San Francisco. You turn into a short steep driveway. Your son opens the garage door for you. You put the car in Drive and try to pull forward. Instead, the car goes backwards into oncoming, blind, downhill traffic. You hold the shift lever hard into the Drive position, you take your foot off the brake, and you push the throttle. The car goes forward a little, stops, then reverses into the traffic. OK, you get a running start, slightly scrape the bottom of the car on the abrupt angle of the driveway, and get the car into the garage. Later, you back out of the garage - and this is the fun part - the car goes backwards, stops, and then goes forward even though you are holding the lever in Reverse. At that point, the car stops and refuses to go either forward or backward while the rear end of the car is blocking downhill traffic. It takes some courage to hold the lever in Reverse, floor the accelerator, and lurch backwards into traffic, thus freeing the car from being stuck but having your wife learn some new words in the process.
Or, how about parallel parking on a San Francisco street in a parking space behind a truck with not much room. When you go to leave, you put the car in Reverse (because there's space behind you), but the car goes forward, dangerously closer to the rear of the truck. Stress level 10 as you think you're stuck. Courage required again as you hold the lever firmly in Reverse and aggressively push the accelerator. You're either going to smash into the back of the truck with all the 800+ horsepower of the Lucid Air, or, miracle of miracles, the car actually goes backwards this time - but you'd better be quick on the brakes, hard, or you'll smash the car behind you. When you extricate the car from this situation, you wonder whether this is really the car for you.
So, that's the issue I reported to Lucid Motors. Same thing happens when I try to reverse into my garage when my wife's car is already parked on the other side of the garage. The car goes forward when it's in Reverse. Spooky and dangerous.

Has this been resolved? I don't know. It hasn't recurred, and I was unable to reproduce it in my driveway, so I cancelled the tech visit last May.
San Francisco is what comes to my mind when I encountered the issue yesterday. What happened to you is exactly what makes me worry. What if I drive the car there and the car malfunction with cars on the street? Without these issues, it is already challenging to get around with the hills and narrow parking space.

Yesterday, the car was close enough to the wall and we had no clue what to do with it after two tries. We could either press accelerator hard and hope that we could back out. Or smash to the wall and destroy the 1 week new car. Luckily, my son suggested to use auto-park feature to get around the issue. After we got home, the car did weird thing again. While I tried to adjust car position by turning to D, the car backed out instead.

The software bug for this should be an easy fix. When the car in D mode, it should always try to move forward when tapping accelerator. Vice verse, when it is in R mode, it should always try to go backward. How hard can it be to add this into their system to overwrite their complex logic?

I rebooted the car last night and hope that this will resolve the issue. But I am hoping that Lucid can have a permanent fix.

I had to turn left to get into the parking position. The parking space is small so I had to readjust the car by backing out the car. I assumed that the wheel position was not straight when I tried to back out. I am not sure whether that has anything to do with the weird situation.

I did step on the brake to have full stop before changing to R, though

I was convinced this issue was resolved in a prior software update. Maybe it's back?

Unrelated but I've spent almost a month with an iX and in its "B" mode (regen) it also rolls backwards sometimes. Usually on flat ground.

So maybe this is harder to fix than it seems. Although the bmw doesn't "drive" backwards and just rolls. The Lucid seems to drive the wrong way. But I was convinced this got fixed with 2.0.36 or something

I had to turn left to get into the parking position. The parking space is small so I had to readjust the car by backing out the car. I assumed that the wheel position was not straight when I tried to back out. I am not sure whether that has anything to do with the weird situation.

I did step on the brake to have full stop before changing to R, though
Hi, @micky2023. I advise opening a case with Customer Care if you haven't done so already. They can assist with issue identification.

Windscar, I hope you're right that this issue was resolved with a software update. I have religiously applied every update, and I have not been able to reproduce the problem, although I haven't tried to go in or out of my son's hillside garage in San Francisco since then either. Fingers crossed.

Back