Can I Make it to Vegas?

If you suffer from range anxiety, do a "splash" at Barstow. Like Gman says, the Baker chargers are out, undergoing renovations. Check out the EA app right before your trip; it lists the conditions and availability of chargers along the major interstates. Also a bunch of EA chargers at Hesperia just north of Cajon Summit. My next trip will be to San Diego in 3 weeks. My plan is to make one stop at Ontario Mills Mall, about 240 miles. If busted, there are chargers in Corona, Lake Elsinore and others. I've not taken a long trip since the last 5 software updates, but I've heard the range estimator is much better from users on this forum. From my single drive, range drops 20 miles at Mountain Pass, another 20 at Halloran Summit and another 20 at Cajon Pass, so figure on subtracting 60 miles from the range of your vehicle at the start. On my way home, I'll probably use the chargers at Hesperia (195 miles from home) or Barstow (156). Since I'll already be north of Cajon Pass, I can subtract 40 miles from the range estimator. Don't let range anxiety deter you; there are plenty of chargers. The drive is superb as all of you already know.

If you suffer from range anxiety, do a "splash" at Barstow. Like Gman says, the Baker chargers are out, undergoing renovations. Check out the EA app right before your trip; it lists the conditions and availability of chargers along the major interstates. Also a bunch of EA chargers at Hesperia just north of Cajon Summit. My next trip will be to San Diego in 3 weeks. My plan is to make one stop at Ontario Mills Mall, about 240 miles. If busted, there are chargers in Corona, Lake Elsinore and others. I've not taken a long trip since the last 5 software updates, but I've heard the range estimator is much better from users on this forum. From my single drive, range drops 20 miles at Mountain Pass, another 20 at Halloran Summit and another 20 at Cajon Pass, so figure on subtracting 60 miles from the range of your vehicle at the start. On my way home, I'll probably use the chargers at Hesperia (195 miles from home) or Barstow (156). Since I'll already be north of Cajon Pass, I can subtract 40 miles from the range estimator. Don't let range anxiety deter you; there are plenty of chargers. The drive is superb as all of you already know.
Thank you for sharing your range drops due to elevation. I've been struggling to figure out how to estimate this, so your post is very helpful!

No, mine is a Touring with 20” wheels. At 100% SOC, range was 382 miles.
I'm getting similar range with my AT & 20" wheels as well, about 360 varying between 350-380. I'm 85% city driving.

No, mine is a Touring with 20” wheels. At 100% SOC, range was 382 miles.
Same as me (your car)…..your post is really helpful. It tells me that if I go easy on the pedal, I can make Vegas.

Same as me (your car)…..your post is really helpful. It tells me that if I go easy on the pedal, I can make Vegas.
I averaged about 7 miles over the speed limit if you call that easy. I used the cruise control so that was nice. Only problem is that you have to be aware of a slow poke because the car will automatically slow down so you don’t rear end anyone. I wish the car would ding like it does when traffic clears. When you realize that and then shift lanes, the car lurches forward like a bat out of hell lol! The forward anti collision feature is exceptional, similar to the system in the Lexus and others.

Just finished a drive from Vegas to San Diego, and here's my trip report:

The range estimator is MUCH more accurate and tweaked to be a little on the conservative side. I started with an estimate of 42 miles at the end of my trip but the estimate INCREASED as we drove past Mountain Pass and Halloran Summit. I went to get a "splash" at Walmart in Hesperia. There are 2 separate EA charging stations in the parking lot. I had a little trouble finding the one NOT in the handicap parking. Luckily, there is an "A" on the center console that tells you where it is. Got around 240kW to start and finished at 140kW (15 minutes or so). There was a Lucid parked next to me in exactly the same color, both exterior and interior. What are the odds? Only difference was his outside mirrors match the roof color while mine match the body color. That's because his was a GT and mine is a Touring. Mystery solved. Arrived in San Diego with around 90 miles of range.

I tried the same strategy for the drive home but it didn't work. The charging station in Hesperia was inoperative; they chose Thursday to repave their parking lot right where the chargers were! What are the odds? So we charged in Barstow and got home. Range indicator showed 28 but gradually increased to 60 by the time we got home. I'm wondering if Lucid changed the performance curve or did something to harvest more from the regen but I definitely noticed the range increasing as we dropped over Mountain Pass on our way to the state line. Anyone here with connections to Lucid - would welcome any info on that. 3.6 miles/kW for the trip.

Tips for road tripping:
1. Always check the Plug Share app before you leave. That would have saved me 15 minutes stopping in Hesperia only to find the chargers were out of commission (due to repaving).
2. Always plan to stop at the charge station before the one you "plan" on stopping at. Just in case that charger is broken. That will save you from being stranded or having to go with someone other than EA.
3. Use a "splash and dash" strategy. That's because charging rate drastically drops off as you approach 80 or 100% SOC. You'll save a lot of time putting 150 miles of charge and then finding the next charger on your route instead of charging to 200. After 2 hours, I'm ready for a potty break anyway.

Remarks:

I find that I have to relearn how to drive - seriously. When I punch it on an ICE car, the lag in the fuel delivery pretty much smooths out my "heavy" foot. On an uphill climb, that really smooths it out. Not so with an EV. My wife said she felt her head snap whenever I stepped on it, even going up toward Mountain Pass. So I have to learn to "smooth" out my pedal. That said, it was insane watching all the cars in my rear view (with a smile).

Since Lucid did the software updates (since my drive to Palm Springs), I've noticed the ride is not as comfortable - as our seats in the Lexus RX450h. The ride is definitely stiffer than before. My vote is for Lucid to throttle the ride back to somewhere in-between the original setting and now. Streets in La Jolla were terrible, and the roughness was definitely noticeable in the ride. Drove quite a bit during rush hour, and the Lucid real time nav was a godsend. Sent me on twisty canyon roads instead of the congested I-15 and painted a smile on my face. This car just hugs the road.

It seemed every time I stopped, somebody came over and talked to me about the car, even a guy with a Tesla Plaid. A couple staying at the same hotel stopped me to get my impressions; I told the husband to buy one and enjoy. Nothing but compliments. Saw 3-4 Lucids during our trip.

Since Lucid did the software updates (since my drive to Palm Springs), I've noticed the ride is not as comfortable - as our seats in the Lexus RX450h. The ride is definitely stiffer than before. My vote is for Lucid to throttle the ride back to somewhere in-between the original setting and now.
Totally agree. The smooth setting definitely transmits too much road imperfections to the seats now…it’s not smooth

Just finished a drive from Vegas to San Diego, and here's my trip report:

The range estimator is MUCH more accurate and tweaked to be a little on the conservative side. I started with an estimate of 42 miles at the end of my trip but the estimate INCREASED as we drove past Mountain Pass and Halloran Summit. I went to get a "splash" at Walmart in Hesperia. There are 2 separate EA charging stations in the parking lot. I had a little trouble finding the one NOT in the handicap parking. Luckily, there is an "A" on the center console that tells you where it is. Got around 240kW to start and finished at 140kW (15 minutes or so). There was a Lucid parked next to me in exactly the same color, both exterior and interior. What are the odds? Only difference was his outside mirrors match the roof color while mine match the body color. That's because his was a GT and mine is a Touring. Mystery solved. Arrived in San Diego with around 90 miles of range.

I tried the same strategy for the drive home but it didn't work. The charging station in Hesperia was inoperative; they chose Thursday to repave their parking lot right where the chargers were! What are the odds? So we charged in Barstow and got home. Range indicator showed 28 but gradually increased to 60 by the time we got home. I'm wondering if Lucid changed the performance curve or did something to harvest more from the regen but I definitely noticed the range increasing as we dropped over Mountain Pass on our way to the state line. Anyone here with connections to Lucid - would welcome any info on that. 3.6 miles/kW for the trip.

Tips for road tripping:
1. Always check the Plug Share app before you leave. That would have saved me 15 minutes stopping in Hesperia only to find the chargers were out of commission (due to repaving).
2. Always plan to stop at the charge station before the one you "plan" on stopping at. Just in case that charger is broken. That will save you from being stranded or having to go with someone other than EA.
3. Use a "splash and dash" strategy. That's because charging rate drastically drops off as you approach 80 or 100% SOC. You'll save a lot of time putting 150 miles of charge and then finding the next charger on your route instead of charging to 200. After 2 hours, I'm ready for a potty break anyway.

Remarks:

I find that I have to relearn how to drive - seriously. When I punch it on an ICE car, the lag in the fuel delivery pretty much smooths out my "heavy" foot. On an uphill climb, that really smooths it out. Not so with an EV. My wife said she felt her head snap whenever I stepped on it, even going up toward Mountain Pass. So I have to learn to "smooth" out my pedal. That said, it was insane watching all the cars in my rear view (with a smile).

Since Lucid did the software updates (since my drive to Palm Springs), I've noticed the ride is not as comfortable - as our seats in the Lexus RX450h. The ride is definitely stiffer than before. My vote is for Lucid to throttle the ride back to somewhere in-between the original setting and now. Streets in La Jolla were terrible, and the roughness was definitely noticeable in the ride. Drove quite a bit during rush hour, and the Lucid real time nav was a godsend. Sent me on twisty canyon roads instead of the congested I-15 and painted a smile on my face. This car just hugs the road.

It seemed every time I stopped, somebody came over and talked to me about the car, even a guy with a Tesla Plaid. A couple staying at the same hotel stopped me to get my impressions; I told the husband to buy one and enjoy. Nothing but compliments. Saw 3-4 Lucids during our trip.
I agree with you on the suspension comment. I wish they would allow the user to choose. Why not have the old way at least as an option?

I agree with you on the suspension comment. I wish they would allow the user to choose. Why not have the old way at least as an option?
Completely agreed. Let us dial it in with a slider at least if they can't decide on one setting

My GT on 21’s did 300 miles with 27% left by limiting speed to 70. That extra 5mph makes a difference.
Is that "true" 70mph, which would be 72mph on your Lucid display?

Now with CarPlay using Waze, I can see what the true speed is and it's always 2mph below the indicated speed. I think Lucid is lying or handicapping us by warning us about exceeding the speed limit, when is fact we may not be. And their set to speed limit steering wheel button command is actually setting 2mph below the speed limit. When they implement Traffic Pilot Assist, I hope they don't limit it to the displayed speed, but the real speed.

Call it Genteel or SC for Senior Citizen setting since I am a proud member 😆!

Now with CarPlay using Waze, I can see what the true speed is and it's always 2mph below the indicated speed. I think Lucid is lying or handicapping us by warning us about exceeding the speed limit, when is fact we may not be. And their set to speed limit steering wheel button command is actually setting 2mph below the speed limit. When they implement Traffic Pilot Assist, I hope they don't limit it to the displayed speed, but the real speed.
Almost every car reports a slightly higher speed than the car is actually going.

How do you know CarPlay is the accurate figure?

Maybe we need to use a speed gun to solve this question.

I think the update to the car made it so it auto updates the % on arrival regularly, so as you speed up, the % goes down, and as you slow down the % goes up to estimate.

So technically you'll have whatever % when you reach your destination as it's displayed.

But during my polestar use, it uses Google maps integration. And it tells me a % on arrival and it adjusts and gets used to my driving habits from the past before it makes the estimation, so the % it tells me usually never changes more than +/-1 or 2 percent.

So it's very very accurate. Even when I was going like 100 MPH for 30 miles straight

Go exactly 60 mph indicated from mile marker to mile marker and see how long it takes.

Almost every car reports a slightly higher speed than the car is actually going.
Yea, but that does not address my question or comment.

Waze on CarPlay (or iPhone) uses GPS. I've also used dedicated GPS apps which also indicate 2 mph higher on the Lucid "Speedometer".

Yea, but that does not address my question or comment.
Waze on CarPlay (or iPhone) uses GPS. I've also used dedicated GPS apps which also indicate 2 mph higher on the Lucid "Speedometer".
Seems like you are right that GPS is more accurate than vehicle speedometers. However, it also sounds like it is the case that many (most?) car manufacturers do error on the side of caution for a variety of reasons. So, I don't believe this is a Lucid conspiracy to cook the books.

GPS Speed vs. Vehicle Speedometer​

With a clear view of the sky, GPS speed has shown to be more accurate than most vehicle speedometers. "GPS isn't perfect, but it's a lot more accurate than a vehicle speedometer," said Richard Langley, professor of geodesy and precision navigation at the University of New Brunswick, in an article for the Canadian Globe and Mail. GPS accuracy, however, may vary slightly as the vehicle travels from regions with a good view of the sky to those without. Heavily tree-lined streets and urban canyons are the biggest culprits when it comes to GPS inaccuracy, in addition to tunnels and covered parking lots.

Your vehicle speedometer accuracy can vary based on several factors, most notably differences in wheel size due to wear, pressure, and temperature. It is also typical for many motor vehicle manufacturers to have their vehicle speedometers overreport the speed to ensure that if there are errors from the sources mentioned above, you are still unlikely to be exceeding the speed limit if the vehicle states as such. “Industry officials have said speedometers are set ‘optimistically’ to give drivers an inflated sense of speed (and help them avoid tickets),” says Wall Street Journal columnist Jonathan Welsh.

Every manufacturer does this, intentionally, largely for liability reasons. Sometimes it’s 1mph over, sometimes it’s 2mph over - but it’s always over. Not unique to Lucid, and hardly “lying” 🤷‍♂️

Back