Californians, please don’t complain about EA!

You guys have gazillion EA while in Texas, Dallas has 4, Austin has 1 and Houston has 7 and I cannot even count Los Angeles with fingers and toes.View attachment 8926
Yeah, we have a lot of EA stations. You are complaining about not having enough EA stations and not being able to use them due to scarcity and distance while we are complaining about not being able to use them because they aren’t working or limit the power delivered to our cars. So while you charge at home with your cheap electric rates and only dcfc on trips, I use EA all the time to charge my car so my opportunities to run into a EA problem are greatly increased compared to you.

BTW, I have solar but it was sized for my usage 12 years ago, not for charging an EV. What’s incredible is that it’s actually cheaper for me to charge at EA even if I had to pay than to charge at home (it would push me into the next tier on my flat rate plan). I have a 14-50 plug but never use it. Due to the ridiculous peak rate with TOU plans, my home AC usage makes it impractical. So which set of problems do you want?

I agree that charging at EA has been more reliable in terms of getting a charge started with no drama. Still have reliability issues with chargers being up. This morning, started a charge with good kWh rate but 5 minutes in, the rate plummeted and got “power limited by” message for a few minutes then went back up to a “normal” rate. I was the only car there. Had a guy in a minivan tap on my window to ask about the car.

Last edited:
I stopped in Barstow yasterday. Only a few chargers there. On the way back tomorrow may stop in Baker. Any preference?
Headed to Vegas from the OC in a week (Touring). Between Barstow and Baker, which do you suggest? The pressure is on. I am driving two friends, who will make me miserable if charging is a flop. I’ll hear about it all weekend. I would do EVgo if a better chance of success.

Back