C8 or Lucid Air - time to decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_rhythm

I know a bunch of you guys have experience with both. I put a reservation on both vehicles last November and I just got a call about the C8. Love, love, love the looks and style of both vehicles, but obviously they're very different. Will the Air "scratch that itch" that a C8 was made to scratch, or are they so different that you really can't even compare?

I have a ‘22 C8 HTC Z51 (and a ‘23 on order to replace it). I don’t have my AGT yet but honestly never even thought of them as comparable in any way. Different vehicles for different purposes.

I assume you mean the C8 corvette: The C8 is a totally different car - it’s a two seater sports car. The Air is a luxury sedan that has the capability to drive like a sports car when you want it to or a luxury sedan when you want that option. The C8 is the third car that you drive occasionally because of its limited utility. The Air is a great daily driver with loads of functionality. The C8 is a gas guzzler - with loud exhaust - the air is relatively silent. The air is probably quicker if acceleration is your thing and drives great in twisty corners but I don’t think it will do as much on the skid pad as a C8 and if you want to race the car the C8 is the more logical choice: For me I would never buy a C8 because of its limited functionality. I don’t know what your other cars are and that could be a factor also. You won’t be disappointed in the driving experience of the air unless your looking for a true high performance sports car that you want to push to the limits.

I know a bunch of you guys have experience with both. I put a reservation on both vehicles last November and I just got a call about the C8. Love, love, love the looks and style of both vehicles, but obviously they're very different. Will the Air "scratch that itch" that a C8 was made to scratch, or are they so different that you really can't even compare?
Depends...what "itch" are you trying to scratch?

Take the EV angle out of the equation, and look at it this way: if your choices were between a Corvette and a BMW B7 Alpina, which would you get? If you would choose the BMW for its space, comfort, relative quiet, and aura of sophistication -- coupled to its performance -- then the Lucid is for you.

I've owned a Corvette, so I don't mean to sound snooty here, but Corvettes -- perhaps unfairly these days -- convey a sense of brutish and rather crude performance on the cheap, whereas an Air conveys a pursuit of cutting-edge technology. Unless you're buying a car for the race track without an eye to everyday practicality, the difference in the driving experience of the Corvette and the Air on public roads is more about vibe than anything else.

I assume you mean the C8 corvette: The C8 is a totally different car - it’s a two seater sports car. The Air is a luxury sedan that has the capability to drive like a sports car when you want it to or a luxury sedan when you want that option. The C8 is the third car that you drive occasionally because of its limited utility. The Air is a great daily driver with loads of functionality. The C8 is a gas guzzler - with loud exhaust - the air is relatively silent. The air is probably quicker if acceleration is your thing and drives great in twisty corners but I don’t think it will do as much on the skid pad as a C8 and if you want to race the car the C8 is the more logical choice: For me I would never buy a C8 because of its limited functionality. I don’t know what your other cars are and that could be a factor also. You won’t be disappointed in the driving experience of the air unless your looking for a true high performance sports car that you want to push to the limits.
Great feedback, Zenith. I've always dreamt of the midlife crisis sports car. The Audi R8 was my baseline for comparison for a long time until the C8 came out. I changed jobs a while back and the wife said, if you want it, get it. Of course, that meant putting my name on the list and waiting. We will have three cars, but for everyday purposes the C8 would be my go to vehicle. We do have children, but I rarely have to take more than one at a time, and if I did we have another car(s) available. I can't even pretend to be a race car driver, but I do love getting down and dirty with a capable vehicle. Before kids, we had a Mercedes SLK350 and absolutely loved it. There was enough trunk space for weekend trips and the convertible factor was just fun. I think maybe that's where I'm hanging up most. If the Air drives as well as a sports car in general (obviously not at the limits) and has more flexibility, that's the logical answer. But it definitely won't provide that "wind in the hair" feeling (even though there's less hair than there used to be). I guess that's what I need to figure out. I'm fighting the urge of "why not both?". 🤣

The Audi R8 was my baseline for comparison for a long time until the C8 came out.

I've owned a Corvette and three Audi R8s (2008 V8 Coupe, 2010 V10 Coupe, 2011 V10 Spyder). Everything about the Audis except raw performance numbers were in an altogether different class from a Corvette -- handling, ride, comfort, structural integrity, fit & finish, reliability.

Maybe the C8 is different, but I've had enough experience with GM over the years to wonder.

I have a Gen 2 NSX and agree with folks here, the C8 is another category from the Air except that they are both cars

I am a big fan of the all powerful who has opined on Corvette multiple times by dropping them into a sink hole, destroying a warehouse full and then burning a car carrier load of them

The c8 with the 3lt interior is on a whole different level than previous vettes . I had a 2009 and 2012 gallardo and the cC 8is on par with the excitement it gives
The interior is better and it's faster. There is a reason even the base C8 sells for 100k plus currently.

The c8 with the 3lt interior is on a whole different level than previous vettes . I had a 2009 and 2012 gallardo and the cC 8is on par with the excitement it gives
The interior is better and it's faster. There is a reason even the base C8 sells for 100k plus currently.
Agree. The C8 3LT interior is very well done. I was disappointed that they dropped the “Morello Red Dipped” option for ‘23 as that was my favorite color.

My C8 3LT
D4403F2D-048A-4DB5-A86F-825B5B020561.jpeg

Attachments

• CF20EC5E-41B4-4CE3-9AF9-EF5243CF149F.jpeg
    CF20EC5E-41B4-4CE3-9AF9-EF5243CF149F.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 79
  • D6436A98-8A37-4F2D-B009-ABB659D286B2.jpeg
    D6436A98-8A37-4F2D-B009-ABB659D286B2.jpeg
    829.7 KB · Views: 87
  • E97F5238-5FC5-47ED-AC2B-2B2BADE1BE99.jpeg
    E97F5238-5FC5-47ED-AC2B-2B2BADE1BE99.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 78
This is my ‘22 3LT

Attachments

• 1488429A-4AF1-40A6-9BD2-5C46E25B8CF3.jpeg
    1488429A-4AF1-40A6-9BD2-5C46E25B8CF3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 85
Take the EV angle out of the equation, and look at it this way: if your choices were between a Corvette and a BMW B7 Alpina, which would you get? If you would choose the BMW for its space, comfort, relative quiet, and aura of sophistication -- coupled to its performance -- then the Lucid is for you.

I've owned a Corvette, so I don't mean to sound snooty here, but Corvettes -- perhaps unfairly these days -- convey a sense of brutish and rather crude performance on the cheap, whereas an Air conveys a pursuit of cutting-edge technology. Unless you're buying a car for the race track without an eye to everyday practicality, the difference in the driving experience of the Corvette and the Air on public roads is more about vibe than anything else.
The C8 Vette is very cutting-edge, IMHO. It drives very differently based upon the drive settings and can be comfortable in Touring or very harsh in track mode.

The only real similarity to my DE is the speed.

I actually have both Vehicles…my C8 is a convertible…I have to say I drive the air more frequently because it’s more comfortable to get in and out of…that being said it depends on how you are going to drive and use your car…if I had to choose one car I would go for the AIR

Obviously your Corvette was not a C8. Comparisons to the Lucid are ridiculous on too many counts.

Dang! I was really trying not to say apples and oranges. But Lucid has a few deliveries to go before it earns any real street cred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back