C8 or Lucid Air - time to decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered going the other way and going for a lightweight, nimble roadster without neck breaking acceleration, but fun as sin on canyon roads? Sub 2,400 lbs and only costs $9-$10 a pound?

Fiat 124.jpg

"electromagnetic shock damping variance, electronically-altered drive modes, HUD displays, and Android Auto have been around for several years now among various brands. I wouldn't exactly call them "cutting edge" technologies at this point."

None of which the Lucid has. I guess it's years behind.

Wrong. The Air has electromagnetcally-adjustable shocks; electronically-altered drive modes that change steering, braking, and suspension settings; and needs only an OTA software change to add Android Auto.

Wrong. The Air has electromagnetcally-adjustable shocks; electronically-altered drive modes that change steering, braking, and suspension settings; and needs only an OTA software change to add Android Auto.
Well one out of ten ain't bad I guess.

Well one out of ten ain't bad I guess.
As a follow-up the "one" was for the Android Auto/Apple Car Play with a caveat for the "future update". The suspension control system in the Lucid Air is not electromagnetic. It uses Bilstein Damptronic Sky dampers which still use old fashioned valve systems to control rebound and dampening. Albeit uses individual valve systems to control each, giving much finer control. Not a bad system but it's not Magnetic Ride Control.

You’re right, the car sucks; buy the ‘vette.
Don't take things so personally as an insult to the Air. You own a DE, you are clearly biased and the group is discussing features and how the cars are entirely different. I try to express my frustration and my thoughts fairly. At the end of the day I always say to each their own and it's YOUR money, buy whatever you want!

The suspension control system in the Lucid Air is not electromagnetic. It uses Bilstein Damptronic Sky dampers which still use old fashioned valve systems to control rebound and dampening.

The innovation in the Damptronic Sky damper is that it uses separate valving for compression and rebound which avoids the compromise of having to use a single valve for both states. However, the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid is still controlled electromagnetically. While providing greater control and more refined ride, merely separating compression valving from rebound valving would not allow the variable softening or firming up of the ride via drive mode settings in a coil suspension setup.

Here is a photo from the Bilstein website of a Damptronic Sky damper installed in a Mercedes setup. You will note that Bilstein labels it an "electrohydraulic" damper. And notice the "tronic" in the name "Damptronic". It is an electronically-controlled valve system, not a mechanically-controlled one.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 8.38.19 AM.png

The innovation in the Damptronic Sky damper is that it uses separate valving for compression and rebound which avoids the compromise of having to use a single valve for both states. However, the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid is still controlled electromagnetically. While providing greater control and more refined ride, merely separating compression valving from rebound valving would not allow the variable softening or firming up of the ride via drive mode settings in a coil suspension setup.

Here is a photo from the Bilstein website of a Damptronic Sky damper installed in a Mercedes setup. You will note that Bilstein labels it an "electrohydraulic" damper. And notice the "tronic" in the name "Damptronic". It is an electronically-controlled valve system, not a mechanically-controlled one.

View attachment 6783
I guess you can consider electronically controlling a valve as magnetic but true magnetic ride control does not use valves. It varies the viscosity of the fluid magnetically. It was developed by the Delphi division of General Motors and initially used by Cadillac. Delphi was eventually sold to BWI and continues to be offered in several GM vehicles including the C8 Corvette. It has also been used by Ferrari, Acura, Lamborghini, and Audi (I'm sure if that included your R8s). But is is not used in the Lucid. Using computer controlled algorithms to control dampener valve is not magnetic ride control.

Lucid Suspension

I guess you can consider electronically controlling a valve as magnetic but true magnetic ride control does not use valves. It varies the viscosity of the fluid magnetically. It was developed by the Delphi division of General Motors and initially used by Cadillac. Delphi was eventually sold to BWI and continues to be offered in several GM vehicles including the C8 Corvette. It has also been used by Ferrari, Acura, Lamborghini, and Audi (I'm sure if that included your R8s). But is is not used in the Lucid. Using computer controlled algorithms to control dampener valve is not magnetic ride control.

Lucid Suspension

I guess we have fallen into a semantic abyss with this. No, the hydraulic fluid is not itself electromagnetic, but the damper valving is electromagnetically-controlled.

The larger point is that there is nothing primitive about the Lucid suspension, which you seemed to be implying. The Damptronic Sky damper is every bit as "cutting edge" as the Magneride system (or even more so, as the Magneride system is 20 years old now and has remained limited in the number of higher-end models that use it). Virtually every seasoned race driver, such as Ben (The Stig) Collins, who has gotten into the Air has found its dynamic abilities astonishing, while reviewers more focused on luxury have found its ride compliance outstanding.

I have owned Corvettes, Jaguars, Audi R8s and "S" models, AMG Mercedes, Mercedes McLaren, and Teslas. I have never owned a car with the superb balance of ride and handling of the Air.

Most people who have reviewed and owned C8s say the same thing about it. Different yes but outstanding, absolutely. I am in no way saying the Lucid is primitive. Although I did say old fashion valve system. I first reserved my Lucid in September of 2020 but cancelled after delays in production. At this time I have a confirmed order for a Stealth GT and I am trying not to pee myself waiting for a VIN. 😎

Don't take things so personally as an insult to the Air. You own a DE, you are clearly biased and the group is discussing features and how the cars are entirely different. I try to express my frustration and my thoughts fairly. At the end of the day I always say to each their own and it's YOUR money, buy whatever you want!
I’m not insulted nor taking it personally. I just don’t understand the point of crapping all over a car you were never going to buy; it’s a waste of your time to do, and a waste of others’ time to read.

We are comparing apples and oranges, so yes, of course they’re going to have different features. The argument of “but $foo has this and the Lucid doesn’t, so it sucks” is extremely prevalent on the forums and can get very grating and annoying.

Sorry for coming off insulted; I’m not. Just frustrated by the state of discourse being overwhelmingly and unnecessarily negative, about things that are nonsensical. There are plenty of real things to complain about in the car; “it doesn’t have magnetically adjustable shocks” or “it doesn’t have an air suspension” isn’t one of them, as the car drives incredibly well and has always been clear about that, for example.

Yeah! This thread kinda went off the rails. But the OP (mr_rhythm) ask for opinions from members with experience with both cars. It's hard to do that without stating the differences in available options and performance. One thing about car forums is that everyone drinks the Kool-Aid. Sometimes it's Sweet Cherry Flavor (Passionate about the car) or Sour Grape Flavor (Jealous or Bitter).

The fun thing is trying to decide if the poster is a sixteen year old about to get their learners permit, a 45 year old in their mom's basement or The Sultan of Brunei. Regardless, we all have internet access, making us Certified Experts.

I just wish everyone would quit listing all of those great cars they have owned. Because sooner or later I'll mention the awesome Ford Fairlane I drove in high school or the AMC Gremlin that got me thru college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back