Build Back Better + Tax Credit

You’re proving my point. It’s no more ridiculous than influencing whether people buy an EV or ICE car. It’s also no more ridiculous than influencing whether people buy from an old manufacturer (Tesla) or a new one, since Tesla is past its 200k vehicle limit.

It’s a subsidy to encourage EV adoption. Neither side wants a “free market”; they are just approaching the subsidies differently.

If it is a subsidy to encourage EV adoption, then why put limits on on the tax credit on type of car or on income. That defeats the purpose of the subsidy which is to encourage EV adoption.

If it is a subsidy to encourage EV adoption, then why put limits on on the tax credit on type of car or on income. That defeats the purpose of the subsidy which is to encourage EV adoption.

I’m a knee jerk liberal and can’t understand why the Democrats would discourage EV adoption through the subsidy structure. Is it to ensure larger subsidies to people with lower household incomes? Or to incentivize cheaper EVs?

@mnewber1 : Please move to off topic forum.

I’m a knee jerk liberal and can’t understand why the Democrats would discourage EV adoption through the subsidy structure. Is it to ensure larger subsidies to people with lower household incomes? Or to incentivize cheaper EVs?
It's to incentivize people buying EVs from Ford and GM

New poster, getting my AGT delivered in 2-3 weeks. Here’s why I’m all for the tax credit and everyone else should be too and it has nothing to do with politics. Many homeowners would need to upgrade their electric panel to 200amps to do home charging. Due to supply shortages that’s gonna run you $7-11K now (it was more like $3-4K two years ago!). Luckily Rhode Island just reinstated their $2500 EV credit so that plus the $7500 credit will cover my electric panel upgrade. Anyone who finds out that having faster home charging as a viable option could cost them an additional $7-10K will reject EVs because EVs are already expensive. Yeah we can afford it but it’s sensible to want EVs to be affordable for everyone thus encouraging mass adoption, and I know many who wouldn’t buy any EV at any price if they gotta spend $10K to upgrade their house.

$7-11k for a main panel upgrade? And I thought California was expensive..200 amp panel here is running $3500 right now give or take on installation difficulty (a lot of old panel installs don’t meet new code requirements), my electrician does them like clockwork.

$7-11k for a main panel upgrade? And I thought California was expensive..200 amp panel here is running $3500 right now give or take on installation difficulty (a lot of old panel installs don’t meet new code requirements), my electrician does them like clockwork.
Yeah new code requires a new meter and special fire department exterior rapid shut off access. Mine is admittedly the high end of pricing because I have a detached garage which requires some trenching, etc and I need the whole panel replaced. Sucks to be buying anything new right now, but hey at least Lucid hasn’t raised their prices more yet, unlike Tesla and Rivian.

Yea you’re the oddity, not the standard for a panel upgrade. That sucks!

I have 2 friends who have orders for the Pure. Both have said to me if they are denied the $7,500 tax credit they will cancel their orders, and look for other alternatives that cost less money. I am sure there are others who feel the same.
Sooooo…. 3 people? 😁

Yeah new code requires a new meter and special fire department exterior rapid shut off access. Mine is admittedly the high end of pricing because I have a detached garage which requires some trenching, etc and I need the whole panel replaced. Sucks to be buying anything new right now, but hey at least Lucid hasn’t raised their prices more yet, unlike Tesla and Rivian.

$8K to install a new sub panel in MA. Our house is 70 years old and doesn’t take kindly to wiring.

@bunnylebowski : Love your user name. My favorite movie.

Sooooo…. 3 people? 😁
Well the tax credit was a mild consideration for me. 7500$ plus 2500$ from Tx is a nice discount on the Pure and will basically pay for the options I would like. Would it change my mind if it didn’t quality? Probably not because I’m more committed to the Pure as I keep reading this forum ha ha. Would the absence of the tax credit influence my initial decision to consider the Air Pure…. Possibly. I tend to set a budget and then drift upward till I find something I want ha ha.

$8K to install a new sub panel in MA. Our house is 70 years old and doesn’t take kindly to wiring.

@bunnylebowski : Love your user name. My favorite movie.
I am the walrus! Seriously though, New England old houses (mine was built in 1940) create all sorts of wiring trouble. I like to imagine what the people who built the house in 1940 would think if they saw this future-car with a plug hooked up to it with screens in it in the spot they probably parked their 1934 Ford. OMG the aliens from Mars have landed and given us extra-terrestrial martian technology!

I've got a new hole through the stone foundation of my 1890 house as the electrician has started work to run a new circuit to the detached garage for charging. About $10,000 to upgrade service in the house from 100A to 200A and wire the garage.

I've got a new hole through the stone foundation of my 1890 house as the electrician has started work to run a new circuit to the detached garage for charging. About $10,000 to upgrade service in the house from 100A to 200A and wire the garage.
Yeah that’s my situation, $10,500 to upgrade.

Is there a reason to only upgrade to 200A? Instead of say 400?

Is there a reason to only upgrade to 200A? Instead of say 400?
if I had to upgrade, I’d probably go for a 400 amp panel instead of 200. It is likely not that much more and one would have plenty of space for future needs. We have 400 amps on our house built in 2002 and 200 would have been limiting already

The whole situation is a little more complicated. The house is a giant duplex, originally built in 1980 as a two-family. The current service to the entire building is 200A. That is being upgraded to 400A, the most the electric company will allow. Each unit has their own meter and panel. The new panel is sized for future expansion (i.e. converting our gas heat and kitchen to electric), but we can't currently get enough power into the building to charge the car and run all of that. That's what I get for living in an old dense city. At least we've got a garage so I won't have to park the Lucid on the street.

Back