Brick or Turtle Incidence

Sheena

Verified Owner
Cars
touring or pure
I think the biggest concern many of us have is the reported turtle or brick events, where the vehicle must be towed for service. This is especially problematic for those many miles from a service center.
I wonder what the incidence is, and how fast it is improving.
We on this forum can just hypothesize and estimate...how many vehicles have been placed into service, how many have reported the dreaded event.
I wager some folks at LUCID have accurate data.

Mine happened Friday 2 Sep 2022 early in the morning. They sent a tow truck out from PA and it was towed to Richmond, VA from Fairfax, VA. The car would only move at a crawl and when I let go of the accelerator it would jump into park. I heard from the service tech this morning. He said the issue disappeared once the car got to Richmond. However, he send all the logs over the the Lucid engineers for review. The good thing is that I took plenty of pictures of the error to document it. They have no idea when I will get my car back.

I think the biggest concern many of us have is the reported turtle or brick events, where the vehicle must be towed for service. This is especially problematic for those many miles from a service center.
I wonder what the incidence is, and how fast it is improving.
We on this forum can just hypothesize and estimate...how many vehicles have been placed into service, how many have reported the dreaded event.
I wager some folks at LUCID have accurate data.

Of course Lucid has data on this, but don't expect them to release it. No auto manufacturer would, short of legal compulsion.

I've had two cars "turtle" or "brick" on me, and it is not a pleasant experience. The first was a Corvette that kept putting itself into "limp mode" which limited speed to 8 mph, supposedly to allow you to get off the road safely. Chevrolet said it was a faulty sensor, but several repair attempts did not resolve the problem. The last time it happened I was on the inside lane of an 8-lane stretch of I-95 in Connecticut with a concrete barrier to my left. I literally thought I was going to be killed trying to get the car across the lanes to the shoulder. I walked down an exit ramp, called a tow truck, and never got in the car again.

The second was a 2015 Tesla Model S. A weld joint broke in the battery pack, taking out the pack and the rear drive unit, rendering the car undriveable. Fortunately, I was on a rural road with little traffic. Tesla had to flatbed it across the state to a service center.

It's bad news that there have been some similar incidents with Lucids, but it's less unique than people might think.

I wonder if there's some situation happening where a relay to power things off of the big battery pack isn't getting triggered, so some systems are running off of the 12v battery for an extended time which drains it. There seem to be lots of stories about systems not working correctly that get fixed by a simple reboot, this could be a similar situation.

What component failures force the car to enter Turtle mode? Based on my experience , Turtle mode is not an ICE style turtle mode , where a car can be driven gently to a safe location, it was more like moving nice and easy and boom? Given the number of cars that are having problems with the drive train it is time for Lucid to go back to the drawing board, all hands on deck until this problem becomes a non event event.

What component failures force the car to enter Turtle mode? Based on my experience , Turtle mode is not an ICE style turtle mode , where a car can be driven gently to a safe location, it was more like moving nice and easy and boom? Given the number of cars that are having problems with the drive train it is time for Lucid to go back to the drawing board, all hands on deck until this problem becomes a non event event.
The number may seem much greater than actual if this board is your source.

I had this happen this afternoon... died a mile or so from home. had to reboot (in the rain) and then still in turtle mode was actually able to drive it at 30mph back home... will update once towed to service center and hopefully repaired.

Tonight was fun… Dead stop in the middle of an NYC street. Mobile service coming tomorrow but likely getting a flat bed trip up to Mass next week.

A67F7D51-2A08-4A4B-A618-F646310F155B.jpeg

I had this happen this afternoon... died a mile or so from home. had to reboot (in the rain) and then still in turtle mode was actually able to drive it at 30mph back home... will update once towed to service center and hopefully repaired.
glad you were able to make it home

Tonight was fun… Dead stop in the middle of an NYC street. Mobile service coming tomorrow but likely getting a flat bed trip up to Mass next week.

I hope you were able to get it to the side of the road.

Two in a day is weird. Maybe it was related to a recent software update? Or just random chance.

Two in a day is weird. Maybe it was related to a recent software update? Or just random chance.
"Inquiring minds want to know!" :cool:

Who knows. Scary and frustrating. Wife and kids are done in the car for a while, sadly.
Very low miles on your car! Most of these events reported on here seem to happen early on, no idea why. I don’t think anyone has heard of a replacement failure yet at least? Sorry, hope they fix it quickly and find the root cause to prevent it for future owners!

I dont like hearing that bricking is something that still occurs. I hope my Touring doesn't do that after I receive it.

All screens remained blank yesterday following a normal entry with key fob in pocket. Could put car in drive (no visual). Called Customer care and managed to get back to normal after a reset. Strangely enough everything seem to work. The radio was working, fan speed could be raised up and down, basically everything was running except no screens. Have been going to the garage trying to duplicate but no luck. CC was great but my wife, who was never a fan of the Rivian, is now warming up to it, as it has been rock solid since day one.

Unfortunately this morning the screens went dead once again. Waiting to hear back from the Riviera Service center. Seems as if the module illuminating the screens has a mind of it's own.

Unfortunately this morning the screens went dead once again. Waiting to hear back from the Riviera Service center. Seems as if the module illuminating the screens has a mind of it's own.
It’s weird that it’s ALL screens, as I think glass cockpit, right screen and pilot panel have separate modules. Can’t do the Bobby reset if no screens! So you’re stuck with valet card reset.

Yes! Touch screen functions were working so I suspect the touch screen is somehow a separate screen layer placed over the display screen ? Car was just picked up and on its way to the Riviera Beach service center. As it always happens, the screens came back to life when the tow truck driver opened the door. . I am on .33. One year anniversary this month. I Love the car and do hope they find and fix the problem.

Attachments

• Lucid Truck Loaded .jpg
    Lucid Truck Loaded .jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 85
Back