BMW i7 EV - Reviews

I was both disappointed & relieved. When I confirmed my Touring order I had some concern over it & the Model S being the only viable options to choose from at the time (my opinion) & the i5 & A6 e-tron releases pending. My concern was that i5 & A6 would have 400+ miles of range, a good ride, + better tech at a lower price. Seeing the i5 styling & range definitely eliminates that concern as far as BMW is concerned...but still jealous of their ADAS capabilities compared to Lucid's basic ADAS features.
Totally agree with the above and would also add that I really like the BMW i-drive interface. The media controls are so easy to use.

Maybe BMW will change course. For me, it’s just the grill. I love all the other styling aspects. Others may disagree.
I was also a BMW person. To me, it is not just the Edsel grill although that is truly ugly but other aspects as well. I was looking at an IX parked nearby a few weeks ago and the rear, seen from the side, was also (IMHO) atrocious. Other than design, I think that BMW still makes a great car.

In all regards, except range and looks, the BMW I5 would be a good competitor to the Lucid Air. It is about the same size.

Reactions: DBV
I was also a BMW person. To me, it is not just the Edsel grill although that is truly ugly but other aspects as well. I was looking at an IX parked nearby a few weeks ago and the rear, seen from the side, was also (IMHO) atrocious. Other than design, I think that BMW still makes a great car.

In all regards, except range and looks, the BMW I5 would be a good competitor to the Lucid Air. It is about the same size.
Don’t forget acceleration. An acquisition of Lucid by BMW is my dream company. Although I don’t want to pay a subscription for heated seats.😁

My only BMW was a 650i convertible that was bulletproof, well-balanced, and still one of the best-looking cabs on the market. I just do not get the large grills on the recent model sedans, The i5 looks OK if familiar and derivative, except of course for the grill. Form apparently does not follow function at BMW unless there is some dynamic advantage to the large grill. Price seems competitive enough I suppose but what do you get in terms of range with the M version? Not much it seems unless BMW is underestimating range. Not sure about the storage space or if there is room for a full-sized spare, but if it is anything like the i7 then no. It will be tough for the European competitors to match Lucid's models if for no other reason than they do not start with a clean sheet design. It seems that they are hostage to their customer bases' preferences, with the exception of underwhelming performance at least in the case of the i5 specs so far. The iM5 (or whatever it will be called), and there probably will be one, might be interesting, but still not up to the AGT or very probably not the AGTP. Hey, the more EV's the better especially since BMW highlights EA, so more support, more power, and maybe more stations.

" I just do not get the large grills on the recent model sedans, The i5 looks OK if familiar and derivative, except of course for the grill. "
I could compare i5 to a good looking girl. Nice outside, unless she starts to smile, opens her mouth and few teeth are missing.
Then everything turns into hideous.

The Germans are way behind Lucid with regards to EV technology and packaging. So they decided to add non-EV tech to sweeten their cars- like the huge media screen in the EQS and tv monitor/door tablets in the i7, automatic doors....tech that you don't really need.

Yeah, I agree with most of the comments before, I saw Marques' video and it's a great review. But the i7 is exactly that, gimmecky.

No foresight on EV infrastructure, juet took a ICE body and stuck a battery in it.
No small packaging, no frunk space at all.
Super long EV.
Also only looks like one rear passenger can relax as the executive seating moves the passenger seat forward

This is definitely a car you'd be chauffeured in, not drive.
Speakers are bad
Half leather, half cloth looks cheap and probably doesn't feel premium or luxury either
The gimmicky TV screen barelt works and needs like 2 or 3 different remotes to properly navigate it.
The shades in the car probably won't do a superb job making it dark enough back there to stop any glares.
Also looks like the only way to open the door is to use the buttons. And when Marques pushes the door manually, you can hear a motor, that's just a matter of time until a gimmick like that breaks.
Did I mention the car is butt ugly.
I do kinda like the rims though.

After the i8, I really thought BMW would have a better release of Luxury EV than this.

Honestly, I really don't get the criticism of the i7. I think its mainly because BMW is going towards the wrong target audience. When you go towards EV buyers in the realm of lucid, you want efficiency, space concept like interior, very good driving dynamics and also more "subdued" looks. For example, I think that the regular 740/760i which are the gas powered models are doing a GREAT job of attracting s class buyers, and even bentley buyers as for them driving experience is 2nd to passengers.
For me though.. I actually appreciate the looks of the i7. Its grill is tasteful with the headlights(put down the pitchforks please), the hofmeiester kink is back in its blocky galore, and for me the interior is good, although that may be because im a younger soul with no appreciation of driving dynamics(atleast until I drive a car), and I do like my technology.
The i5 and the iX though are styling tragedies. The i5 looks like a x2 from the front.

Yeah, I agree with most of the comments before, I saw Marques' video and it's a great review. But the i7 is exactly that, gimmecky.

No foresight on EV infrastructure, juet took a ICE body and stuck a battery in it.
No small packaging, no frunk space at all.
Super long EV.
Also only looks like one rear passenger can relax as the executive seating moves the passenger seat forward

This is definitely a car you'd be chauffeured in, not drive.
Speakers are bad
Half leather, half cloth looks cheap and probably doesn't feel premium or luxury either
The gimmicky TV screen barelt works and needs like 2 or 3 different remotes to properly navigate it.
The shades in the car probably won't do a superb job making it dark enough back there to stop any glares.
Also looks like the only way to open the door is to use the buttons. And when Marques pushes the door manually, you can hear a motor, that's just a matter of time until a gimmick like that breaks.
Did I mention the car is butt ugly.
I do kinda like the rims though.

After the i8, I really thought BMW would have a better release of Luxury EV than this.
The nice thing about EVs these days is that there are lots of choices. I would not consider the I7 as it is too big for my tastes. The Lucid Air (and BMW I5) are at the outer end of how big a car I am willing to own and drive. And my preference is much smaller but retaining the luxury and performance.

BMW, like many other car companies, is choosing to remove the power train from ICE cars to make room for an EV powertrain. Is that a compromise? Sure it is. As you noted, e.g., there is no frunk. But the person who is buying the I7 likely won't care about that. I know people who drive electrified versions of ICE cars and love them.

Is it ugly? That is a matter of taste. In comparative terms, I think it is less ugly than the IX and XM. I was a BMW owner and partisan but I think the recent designs are hideous.

Back