BMW i7 EV - Reviews

I agree that the fact that the chasis is shared / converted over from the ICE equivalent is a major downside and the lack of storage space is concerning. The fact that Lucid is a dedicated EV platform is one of the main things that drew me in to begin with. I do wish they had more luxury features and overall customization, but I imagine with time more options will made available.

Reactions: NPN
Not really my cup of tea, but seems like a solid effort given the compromises inherent to the platform. It'll be interesting to see how quickly legacy automakers will evolve their EV platforms, and whether purely EV focused companies will be able to maintain their lead.

And BMW’s excuse for not having a frunk boils down to “people don’t use frunks.” Really? I use mine daily.
Yeah, I watched his review when it came out. I always found this excuse to be comical in the sense that their surveys are likely asking the wrong sampled audience if they use a frunk. It’s such a dumb survey question it’s not even funny. To then post it as fact is the equivalent of removing any common storage space in a car noting that no one uses it. It’s a lesser customer experience via a car manufacturer not understanding the chicken egg problem.

Yeah, I watched his review when it came out. I always found this excuse to be comical in the sense that their surveys are likely asking the wrong sampled audience if they use a frunk. It’s such a dumb survey question it’s not even funny. To then post it as fact is the equivalent of removing any common storage space in a car noting that no one uses it. It’s a lesser customer experience via a car manufacturer not understanding the chicken egg problem.
I’ve had so many people watch me pull my laptop bag out of my Tesla’s frunk and say to me “Wow, that’s handy.” To your point, these ICE car owners just haven’t considered the benefits of a frunk, because they’ve never had one.

I’ve had so many people watch me pull my laptop bag out of my Tesla’s frunk and say to me “Wow, that’s handy.” To your point, these ICE car owners just haven’t considered the benefits of a frunk, because they’ve never had one.
Agreed.
I own a sports car which can only have a Frunk, so I'm quite used to it.

That said, I've stayed away from traditional ICE manufacturers because of things like no frunk, yet I just found out that my Fisker Ocean One built from the ground up as a modern EV (and to start manufacturing next week) does not have a frunk :oops: .. wth! solar panels on the roof, but no frunk??? ugh!

So, I finally watched the video link in the first post.
Very impressive.
I wish it'd have a frunk and more proactive OTA updates, but if they improve range, performance (just a tad), and charging curve, I'd seriously consider it.
As much as I love my Luci, the difficulty I have getting in and out of it is really preventing me from using it as my daily driver. The i7 X60 reminds me of my [current daily driver] MB S550, which Luci is supposed to replace.

In the end, I'm not ready to give up on Luci right now.

I'm sold on having a frunk. Although, some frunks are better than others. Do you hear me Taycan? An EV without a frunk is just evidence of poor engineering and layout.
The C8 Corvette has a smallish, but useful, trunk and a good-sized frunk.

Two minutes into Doug DeMuro’s explanation of the doors on this thing and I was already done with this car. Talk about over-engineered. Yikes. Three different buttons on each door to operate them. THREE.

And boy, that’s just about the ugliest exterior (and interior) BMW have ever produced. It’s like they looked at the EQS and said “Hold my beer.” Just hideous. Gauche. Vomit-enducing ugliness.

The theatre mode is a cool gimmick. But I wonder how comfortable it is to watch TV on a screen set so high up like that. Feels like you’d be bending your neck way too far upwards for it to be comfortable for more than a few minutes.

This may be the Air’s most obvious actual competition. And I say “No worries here.”
I couldn't disagree more with your ugliest comment. Have you seen the IX? or the XM? I have been a BMW driver/owner for years but it has lost its way on design. As ugly as the I7 is, there are much uglier BMWs.

To me, design isn't critically important as I prioritize handling and performance BUT the car can't make me puke when I enter my garage. Hence I am leaving BMW (regrettably because I really like the way they drive).

I couldn't disagree more with your ugliest comment. Have you seen the IX? or the XM? I have been a BMW driver/owner for years but it has lost its way on design. As ugly as the I7 is, there are much uglier BMWs.

To me, design isn't critically important as I prioritize handling and performance BUT the car can't make me puke when I enter my garage. Hence I am leaving BMW (regrettably because I really like the way they drive).
I would love a Lexus SC but just can't get past the ugly grill. Same for most of the new BMWs. Shallow, yes, sorry.

And BMW’s excuse for not having a frunk boils down to “people don’t use frunks.” Really? I use mine daily.
Daily? Do you back into spaces so the trunk is blocked. I use the trunk first, then the frunk, so frunk on road trips only for the most part. I do have a few breakdown (tire patch) rain gear, jacket, gloves, in the bottom of the frunk so the trunk is 100% available for day to day use.

Daily? Do you back into spaces so the trunk is blocked. I use the trunk first, then the frunk, so frunk on road trips only for the most part. I do have a few breakdown (tire patch) rain gear, jacket, gloves, in the bottom of the frunk so the trunk is 100% available for day to day use.
My laptop bag slides right into the frunk. So does a light jacket. I have no idea why, but I just find it so much more convenient to walk to the front of the car to load in every day items that I take to work, cafes, etc.

The trunk is for grocery runs and overnight road trips with luggage. I don’t need all that space every day.

Folding down the seats and really loading in the rear area is a once or twice a year event.

I think the BMW i5 could be interesting. In the spy pics I have seen it does not have the large grill. Agree with you that, I really dislike the on the grill of the IX. Still love BMW’s media interface and having HUD and inside cabin experience/look.

If BMW i5 gets good range and looks good too, then definitely could go back to BMW. Hope BMW gets it right!

I think the BMW i5 could be interesting. In the spy pics I have seen it does not have the large grill. Agree with you that, I really dislike the on the grill of the IX. Still love BMW’s media interface and having HUD and inside cabin experience/look.

If BMW i5 gets good range and looks good too, then definitely could go back to BMW. Hope BMW gets it right!
I agree. I actually have asked two sales associates (one at each of the two closest BMW dealers) to alert me when the order books open up on the I5. It is a real opportunity to improve on the I4 since it is a bit bigger (so more batteries could fit) but from what I have been reading, it will have the same powertrain as the I4. I hope not.

If they give it the power of the I4-50 but a range of at least 300 miles, it would be a real competitor. But then again, this is the same BMW that wouldn't sell the 545e in the USA. So I am not optimistic.

My last BMW was an '09 650i Convertible. Bulletproof, well-balanced, and very attractive design, which is still basically the same with its newer 6 Series convertibles. The big BMW reviewed looks ponderous to me. No doubt it has lots of bells and whistles and apparently rides very quietly and smoothly. Not sure what statement BMW designers are trying to make with this car. To each her or his own.

2 months back, I rode both ICE BMW i7 and MB S-500 on Uber in London. Both are very luxurious, but I have give i7 the winner for back seats comfort. It’s a very long car, rear seat has plenty leg room like Air. But what caught my attention is the seating, you can recline and feels as you are sitting in cloud of down feathers upholstery with nice pillowcase wrap your head. And the cabin was so quite despite congested Central London streets. The driver owner was very proud of his i7 and boasted many of his Arab clients love this car.

My take from video and my experience is this is passengers’ car. If you rather be chauffeured in comfort and don’t mind about gaudy design, go for it. But I personally prefer the wrapped cockpit screen and pilot panel of Lucid. I rather driver has more LCD wrapped than rear passengers have huge LCD blocking driver’s view.

This car also comes with THX launch mode...... lol

Started with a MS, went to an I-Pace, from there to an e-Tron Sportback and now a BMW i4. Never used a frunk, not once, except to store the charger that came with the car that I never used. The absence of a frunk on the i4 is totally meaningless to me.

Back