• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Battery

My car has 6,000 miles. I get 2.9 - 3.0 m/kWh. This is on a mix of highway and city driving. Reasonable driving in Smooth mode. 350 miles is still an acceptable range -- just not what I expected.
I’m ona road-trip right now to the Florida keys from Orlando. 52% battery life after a 100% charge and 156 miles driven. I’m over 2,555 miles on my odometer and still dont believe anyone hitting 400 miles of range.

The range estimator is also mathematically full of it.

I’m ona road-trip right now to the Florida keys from Orlando. 52% battery life after a 100% charge and 156 miles driven. I’m over 2,555 miles on my odometer and still dont believe anyone hitting 400 miles of range.

So the cars Tom Moloughney and Edmunds drove were rigged?

I live in Florida and drive its highways and interstates frequently. If you were staying with the flow of traffic, you were probably driving close to 80 mph. Range drops roughly exponentially with speed, so you should not expect to see EPA range on a highway trip or match things such as the Moloughney test results, which he always runs at 70 mph.

Gasoline-powered vehicles experience similar range losses at speeds, but the ubiquity of gas stations reduces most drivers' focus on it.

We have a Dream Performance on 21" wheels. On our summer trip from Naples, FL to Asheville, NC, the longest leg we drove between charges was 232 miles during which we used just under 60% of the battery capacity. That equates to almost 400 miles of 80-mph driving on a full charge in the shortest-range configuration of the Air.

We can get from Naples to Miami, drive around the area, and get back without a recharge along the way in our Lucid. We can also get there and back in our Honda Odyssey without a refill. Both vehicles need topping off upon our return, but we can recharge the Lucid by simply plugging it in when we get back to our garage, whereas we have to take the Honda to a gas station . . . and pay a lot more to top it up.

Unlike with our two Teslas, we have never opted to take the Honda on a trip instead of the Lucid due to range considerations. (Remember that even 300 miles of range -- which the Air easily exceeds -- means almost 4 hours of driving at 80 mph, and few drivers can safely go that long without a break.)

I wonder if some motors are intrinsically “tighter” than others, simply due to manufacturing tolerances.

My first EV was a 2011 LEAF. Trying to get the most range out of that little car was a challenge. I found help on an owner's forum that had long threads on hypermiling. Knowing and using those techniques was actually fun and greatly improved my range. I learned how accelerator control, speed, weather, climate control, tire pressure, and momentum all had huge impacts on range. Later, in 2018, I got a Gen. 2 Volt and regularly got the equivalent of 72 miles from its "53 mile" battery, charging every other day for my 30 mile round trip commute. I enjoyed challenging myself to get greater efficiency. Many of the techniques I learned on race tracks applied here- preserving momentum, looking ahead/through turns, situational awareness, etc.

I have no doubt that I could beat my 21" AGT's 460-whatever range if I tried, but a prime motivator for buying this car was to simply not worry about range and just enjoy the driving. It is unpleasant for everyone aboard to sit for more than two hours without getting up to stretch legs, bio-break, etc. For drivers on long trips, going longer than that reduces your ability to maintain focus on driving. My Air charges so quickly that I have found longer trips relaxing and stress-free. But...

If you really want to maximize your range:
-Use only small accelerator inputs. the Air's motors can gulp electrons at a furious pace. Find a pedal setpoint that will reach the speed you want and smoothy gradually press to that point. If you have to lift your foot on reaching your target speed you accelerated too quickly.
-Drive the speed limit or a little less. In traffic where that is unsafe, drive the lowest speed that keeps you safe.
-Avoid accelerating up hill. Let the speed taper off a bit as you go up. Let the car gather a little speed downhill by keeping the power indicator in the middle.
-If traffic or a stop ahead gradually slow well before you get there. It is always more efficient to coast up to a stop than to regen aggressively
-Check tire pressure in the morning when tires are cold. Sunlight and Air Temperature both increase tire pressure. Cooler weather reduces tire pressure. As you drive the pressure will go up. This is both normal and desirable.
-Check the weather. Driving in to a 10mph wind? Slow down a bit. Dress for the season, light clothes in summer, sweater of jacket when it's cold. The AC and heater both take a lot of power, just like they do in your house, but your house doesn't have a glass roof. Dressing for the weather lets you set the climate control to a more moderate temperature. Right now here in Texas my car is ste to 76 degrees. In the winter it will probably be set to 62. It's just a habit now after years of driving those other cars.

But you don't have to do any of this. You have a huge battery and giant motors. Go enjoy that. The current V8 Mustang GT is rated at 24mpg highway. Absolutely nobody who buys that car gets that mileage because you buy a car like that to put your foot in it. With both cars it is nice to know you could get close that range/mileage if you really, really had to... and now you know how.

I just drove about 270 miles on my Air and had 40% of the battery left when I arrived (full when started). It equates to about a 450 mile range. Car was showing 4.1 miles/ kw on the trip odometer. That included traveling over the Grapevine out of LA. Temp in 80s-90s and driving with the flow of traffic.
This is excellent. I do this drive often, good to know it copes with the Grapevine well. I wonder how much you end up regenerating on the downhill parts, there are some downhill sections of the grapevine that are no joke.

Oh ok, yeah I have been wanting to take mine in as well. I live in Cali with all the heat and the A/C being blasted every time I’m driving. I have been tracking how much I get and mine is closer to 280 on a full charge. Just wanted to know if anyone else is doing that low.
There is no way! Even with my car new, doing 80+ mph, full blast AC, I was getting in the 350 to 400 range granted I do have the 19" wheels. Cant be that much of a difference between 19 to 21.

I do hit 400+ if I keep temp at 72 and do steady 80-85 mph (by steady I mean keep the same speed vs revving up and down). My personal record highest mi/kwh was 4.3 after 60 miles of driving.

This is excellent. I do this drive often, good to know it copes with the Grapevine well. I wonder how much you end up regenerating on the downhill parts, there are some downhill sections of the grapevine that are no joke.
That downhill slope saved my bacon..... lol! I had 3 miles left on the car at the top and made it into Castaic through regen alone. Think I pulled in with 8 miles but I was certainly panicking though 😂

There is no way! Even with my car new, doing 80+ mph, full blast AC, I was getting in the 350 to 400 range granted I do have the 19" wheels. Cant be that much of a difference between 19 to 21.
Yeah not sure how you are able to do that, I get nowhere near that mileage.

My first EV was a 2011 LEAF. Trying to get the most range out of that little car was a challenge. I found help on an owner's forum that had long threads on hypermiling. Knowing and using those techniques was actually fun and greatly improved my range. I learned how accelerator control, speed, weather, climate control, tire pressure, and momentum all had huge impacts on range. Later, in 2018, I got a Gen. 2 Volt and regularly got the equivalent of 72 miles from its "53 mile" battery, charging every other day for my 30 mile round trip commute. I enjoyed challenging myself to get greater efficiency. Many of the techniques I learned on race tracks applied here- preserving momentum, looking ahead/through turns, situational awareness, etc.

I have no doubt that I could beat my 21" AGT's 460-whatever range if I tried, but a prime motivator for buying this car was to simply not worry about range and just enjoy the driving. It is unpleasant for everyone aboard to sit for more than two hours without getting up to stretch legs, bio-break, etc. For drivers on long trips, going longer than that reduces your ability to maintain focus on driving. My Air charges so quickly that I have found longer trips relaxing and stress-free. But...

If you really want to maximize your range:
-Use only small accelerator inputs. the Air's motors can gulp electrons at a furious pace. Find a pedal setpoint that will reach the speed you want and smoothy gradually press to that point. If you have to lift your foot on reaching your target speed you accelerated too quickly.
-Drive the speed limit or a little less. In traffic where that is unsafe, drive the lowest speed that keeps you safe.
-Avoid accelerating up hill. Let the speed taper off a bit as you go up. Let the car gather a little speed downhill by keeping the power indicator in the middle.
-If traffic or a stop ahead gradually slow well before you get there. It is always more efficient to coast up to a stop than to regen aggressively
-Check tire pressure in the morning when tires are cold. Sunlight and Air Temperature both increase tire pressure. Cooler weather reduces tire pressure. As you drive the pressure will go up. This is both normal and desirable.
-Check the weather. Driving in to a 10mph wind? Slow down a bit. Dress for the season, light clothes in summer, sweater of jacket when it's cold. The AC and heater both take a lot of power, just like they do in your house, but your house doesn't have a glass roof. Dressing for the weather lets you set the climate control to a more moderate temperature. Right now here in Texas my car is ste to 76 degrees. In the winter it will probably be set to 62. It's just a habit now after years of driving those other cars.

But you don't have to do any of this. You have a huge battery and giant motors. Go enjoy that. The current V8 Mustang GT is rated at 24mpg highway. Absolutely nobody who buys that car gets that mileage because you buy a car like that to put your foot in it. With both cars it is nice to know you could get close that range/mileage if you really, really had to... and now you know how.
I would also ensure that the car's wheel alignment is up to spec and the wheels are properly balanced. Don't assume that Lucid did the job right when you got your car new. If you have hit a few bad potholes, you need to have those checked again as well.

I do hit 400+ if I keep temp at 72 and do steady 80-85 mph (by steady I mean keep the same speed vs revving up and down). My personal record highest mi/kwh was 4.3 after 60 miles of driving.
I basically always have my settings around that and typically use cruise control for highway driving. I did hit a strange miracle. I hit 3.4 miles/kWh once I hit US1 area in the Florida Keys. I’m unsure if elevation played into this, but it’s the only time I’ve ever bumped above 3.0. Speed was averaging around 55mph, but that was different environment wise than existing drives.

Attachments

• 6A78E5C2-F71F-4983-94E2-7E6F5492E0E1.jpeg
    6A78E5C2-F71F-4983-94E2-7E6F5492E0E1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
The day after I picked up my car, we did a short road trip in it (Boston to Provincetown) along with our 45 year old convertible. No spirited driving so we could keep the two cars together, Cape Cod is very flat, and the weather was nice so little A/C needed. I got 4.1mi/kwh on that trip.

Granted I’m on 19”, but over 5000 miles and my average is 4.2 mi/kWh. I charge to 90% most of the time and don’t recharge until about 10%. So even with all the phantom drain from the car sitting when not being driven, every “tank” I still average over 4 mi/kWh. This is a mix of highway and country driving out here. It seems a lot of the issues regarding range involve the 21” wheels. Not sure 🤔

Granted I’m on 19”, but over 5000 miles and my average is 4.2 mi/kWh. I charge to 90% most of the time and don’t recharge until about 10%. So even with all the phantom drain from the car sitting when not being driven, every “tank” I still average over 4 mi/kWh. This is a mix of highway and country driving out here. It seems a lot of the issues regarding range involve the 21” wheels. Not sure 🤔
Yea...anyone who really WANTS/NEEDS the range should not be on 21s...

Yea...anyone who really WANTS/NEEDS the range should not be on 21s...
Yes. The extra aerodynamic drag from the 21" wheel itself has an impact that increases exponentially with speed, but so do the wider tires on those wheels.
Edmunds noted that the 19" wheels on the DE they tested had less traction than they would like, but they also got just over 500 miles on their range test.
Bettter traction or better efficiency, everything is a trade off.

The day after I picked up my car, we did a short road trip in it (Boston to Provincetown) along with our 45 year old convertible. No spirited driving so we could keep the two cars together, Cape Cod is very flat, and the weather was nice so little A/C needed. I got 4.1mi/kwh on that trip.
Oh wow that awesome. But that type of mi/kWh I have never gotten close to so far.

Yeah 4.2 mi/kWh is great. I am on 21’s I know it makes a big difference on my range but I can’t pass 2.9 mi/kWh. Highway 80 cruise control, a/c level 1,2. Not sure what’s going on.

Yes. The extra aerodynamic drag from the 21" wheel itself has an impact that increases exponentially with speed, but so do the wider tires on those wheels.
Edmunds noted that the 19" wheels on the DE they tested had less traction than they would like, but they also got just over 500 miles on their range test.
Bettter traction or better efficiency, everything is a trade off.
Seems like from your profile picture you have the 21’s if you don’t mind to share. How many miles can you get off of a full charge and how high does your mi/kWh go to? I have 21s as well. Can’t pass my mi/kWh with any kind of driving past 2.9.

Oh wow that awesome. But that type of mi/kWh I have never gotten close to so far.

I think maractwin's phrase "no spirited driving" comes into play here. If optimizing range is your primary concern, it takes a lot of unwavering discipline with the accelerator to keep the Lucid anywhere close to its EPA ratings -- and that is a very hard thing to do in the Air, at least for me. We're on our third EV with the Air, and all of them exact(ed) a noticeable penalty for even moderately spirited driving.

But it's important to realize that the same things happens with ICE vehicles, but few people notice it because they don't pay that much attention to range in those cars. We have a 2018 Honda Odyssey minivan that has a real-time mpg readout (a linear scale) right under the speedometer, enabling us to track gas usage much the same way EVs allow you to track power usage. The car is EPA rated at 22 mpg combined (19 city / 28 highway). We can keep the car in the mid-20's on steady-state interstate driving in optimum conditions if we don't exceed 80 mph, but we've never been able to sustain the EPA highway rating at that speed. In driving around town, the readout bounces back and forth along the linear scale. Oddly enough, the worst mpg readings we get in steady state driving is when we troll slowly around local neighborhoods looking at construction projects. And the fastest drops we get in mileage come from using the accelerator. Even gentle prods at it drop the range precipitously for a few moments.

Back