Battery drain when unplugged for long periods

DWN

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
My expected use of the car will be from Newport, RI, (where I have a garage charger) to New York City (where my commercial garage has no charger) and back. On trips to New York I will stop at an Electrify America station 60 miles from the city and charge to 90%. After driving the 60 miles to New York the car will be left unplugged in the commercial garage for up to four weeks. In the cold winter weather when I pick up the car to leave for Newport is there any likelihood that I won't be able to make it the 60 miles to the convenient Electrify America station for a recharge?

My expected use of the car will be from Newport, RI, (where I have a garage charger) to New York City (where my commercial garage has no charger) and back. On trips to New York I will stop at an Electrify America station 60 miles from the city and charge to 90%. After driving the 60 miles to New York the car will be left unplugged in the commercial garage for up to four weeks. In the cold winter weather when I pick up the car to leave for Newport is there any likelihood that I won't be able to make it the 60 miles to the convenient Electrify America station for a recharge?

TLDR: 5% over 14 days

I think it will depend on the weather (temp too hot or too cold) as that will cause the car to drain faster. I did see a post from a Tesla owner who said he parked at the airport for two weeks with his car almost fully charged and when he returned he was down to about 20 miles or so. Haven't seen any detailed reports on the Lucid yet. When I go on vacation I'm planning to charge up to 80% and leave it plugged in while I'm gone.

I think it will depend on the weather (temp too hot or too cold) as that will cause the car to drain faster. I did see a post from a Tesla owner who said he parked at the airport for two weeks with his car almost fully charged and when he returned he was down to about 20 miles or so. Haven't seen any detailed reports on the Lucid yet. When I go on vacation I'm planning to charge up to 80% and leave it plugged in while I'm gone.
The thing that killed my Tesla battery when I went to the airport for 10 days was Sentry Mode. That was draining quite a few miles per day. Which makes sense. The car had to wake up and record video every time anyone walked past it.

I turned that off mid trip, and I lost minimal miles after that.

The thing that killed my Tesla battery when I went to the airport for 10 days was Sentry Mode. That was draining quite a few miles per day. Which makes sense. The car had to wake up and record video every time anyone walked past it.

I turned that off mid trip, and I lost minimal miles after that.
I remember I had a flight right after the sentry software update came out-- I returned to my car after a week, and it was completely empty :/.

TLDR: 5% over 14 days
Unfortunately, there is no plug in allowed in the garage. The car is sitting without any charging for up to four weeks.

You have no worries. I just came back from a 2-week vacation, leaving the car only 25% charged, unplugged. When I came back it was still over 20%. But the key (no pun intended) is to keep your keys and the emergency card far enough away from the car. Otherwise it will sense that key's presence and the awakaning and sleeping cycle would drain your battery.

Thanks, that is very encouraging. I don't suppose at this time of year anyone has experience with battery drain in very cold weather??

I have been having a lot of problems with phantom energy drain. There are times I loss an average of 2.5-3 miles/hr. I have been back and forth with Lucid and can't get a clear answer. I just got it back from Lucid service (third time totaling about four weeks in the shop for a GT with less than 700 miles the last time it went in. So last night the car was kept plugged in all night and charged to 80% which came out to exactly 400 miles. Charging finished at 6:05pm. This morning at 8:04 am the charge dropped down to 384 miles (over 1mile/hour, which was better than my previous experiences when the car was kept unplugged). My garage was in the mid to upper 70's the whole time. Also, I turned off the phone app and had the key fob in a farity bag hundreds of feet away so as not to send any signals to the car. As soon as I checked this with my app it automatically started a new charging session to bring it back up to 400 miles. I got a notification on my phone when that session ended. As stated the past I have lost as much as 3miles/hour when the car was off. It is unrealistic to have to keep the car always plugged in when traveling or having to do extended parking at airports or cruise ports. There will be time where the car could sit unplugged for as much as 7-14 days. I have owned 4 teslas and still own 2, they will only lose a couple of miles during a whole night.
If the Lucid is constantly losing charge when not in use then it becomes a much less energy efficient and more expensive car to own. Has anyone else had similar experiences? If this is the norm then it really won't do me any good to keep bringing this up to them.

Last edited:
I have been having a lot of problems with phantom energy drain. There are times I loss an average of 2.5-3 miles/hr. I have been back and forth with Lucid and can't get a clear answer. I just got it back from Lucid service (third time totaling about four weeks in the shop for a GT with less than 700 miles the last time it went in. So last night the car was kept plugged in all night and charged to 80% which came out to exactly 400 miles. Charging finished at 6:05pm. This morning at 8:04 am the charge dropped down to 384 miles (over 1mile/hour, which was better than my previous experiences when the car was kept unplugged). My garage was in the mid to upper 70's the whole time. Also, I turned off the phone app and had the key fob in a farity bag hundreds of feet away so as not to send any signals to the car. As soon as I checked this with my app it automatically started a new charging session to bring it back up to 400 miles. I got a notification on my phone when that session ended. As stated the past I have lost as much as 3miles/hour when the car was off. It is unrealistic to have to keep the car always plugged in when traveling or having to do extended parking at airports or cruise ports. There will be time where the car could sit unplugged for as much as 7-14 days. I have owned 4 teslas and still own 2, they will only lose a couple of miles during a whole night.
If the Lucid is constantly losing charge when not in use then it becomes a much less energy efficient and more expensive car to own. Has anyone else had similar experiences? If this is the norm then it really won't do me any good to keep bringing this up to them.
We went over this is another post, but essentially, either by design (stupid) or as a bug, once the car reaches the SOC that you set it to (80%), it won't accept anymore charge. BUT, the way it is designed now, when the car has a plug in its charge port, it will be "preparing for charge" where it is not in its sleep state and has the fans running. Instead of taking in more charge as the SOC drops, the BMS allows the car to drain itself unless you "wake it up" again.

So, while not ideal (read giant PITA), if storing for a long time, it's better to keep it u plugged, or time your charging sessions to end in the morning when you would just unplug your car as to not waste electricity

We went over this is another post, but essentially, either by design (stupid) or as a bug, once the car reaches the SOC that you set it to (80%), it won't accept anymore charge. BUT, the way it is designed now, when the car has a plug in its charge port, it will be "preparing for charge" where it is not in its sleep state and has the fans running. Instead of taking in more charge as the SOC drops, the BMS allows the car to drain itself unless you "wake it up" again.

So, while not ideal (read giant PITA), if storing for a long time, it's better to keep it u plugged, or time your charging sessions to end in the morning when you would just unplug your car as to not waste electricity
I really hope Lucid considers this a major bug and has a fix on the way. Plugging in and forgetting is one of the big advantages of having an EV. You should never have to think about whether you plugged or unplugged overnight, in the morning, or whatever. And overnight drain should be on par with the Tesla, as mentioned earlier. (Without Sentry Mode on, maybe 1-2 miles per day drain, max. Maybe a bit worse in the cold.)

I really hope Lucid considers this a major bug and has a fix on the way. Plugging in and forgetting is one of the big advantages of having an EV. You should never have to think about whether you plugged or unplugged overnight, in the morning, or whatever. And overnight drain should be on par with the Tesla, as mentioned earlier. (Without Sentry Mode on, maybe 1-2 miles per day drain, max. Maybe a bit worse in the cold.)
Yea...it's not even phantom drain because we know exactly what's causing the drain! Unplugged, without a key in range, with optimal Temps you only drain 1-2 miles every 24 hours

Yea...it's not even phantom drain because we know exactly what's causing the drain! Unplugged, without a key in range, with optimal Temps you only drain 1-2 miles every 24 hours
Agree with joec that this is a major bug. But, hydbob, do you have any sense of the unplugged drain if you don‘t have “optimal temperatures” — especially in winter temperatures?

Agree with joec that this is a major bug. But, hydbob, do you have any sense of the unplugged drain if you don‘t have “optimal temperatures” — especially in winter temperatures?
Unfortunately, no. You would need someone from a colder region to chime in. I am in SoCal and my car is garaged so it gets pampered and gets to maintain optimal Temps. Maybe @copper can make a guess? I think he is keeping his car outside? But he is in NorCal so not exactly "cold" by NY standards

Unfortunately, no. You would need someone from a colder region to chime in. I am in SoCal and my car is garaged so it gets pampered and gets to maintain optimal Temps. Maybe @copper can make a guess? I think he is keeping his car outside? But he is in NorCal so not exactly "cold" by NY standards
Overnight temps this time of year are in the low 50’s. I haven’t been watching drain super closely as I plug it in most nights, but will leave it unplugged tonight and see what I get.

Any possible way to prevent this drain with key in range?

Overnight temps this time of year are in the low 50’s. I haven’t been watching drain super closely as I plug it in most nights, but will leave it unplugged tonight and see what I get.
Thanks. I’ll be interested to hear.

Those Faraday bags are super big. I bought them, not sure I want to walk around with them in my pocket. Is the Lucid key super big?

Those Faraday bags are super big. I bought them, not sure I want to walk around with them in my pocket. Is the Lucid key super big?
Nah, the fob is actually very slim.

Back