Bad Accident (bye bye lucid)

Ouch - really sorry to hear, but good to know the car did its job and its well engineered for safety.

Did the regenerative braking still work after you lost brake pressure that you could tell? Curious how the car responded to airbag deployed (assume it would try to apply the brakes for you if there were any pressure left, but how about high voltage systems / motors?
The only brakes I had was the rear of the car scraping against the ground. Keeping control was a challange but it held up well.

Really sorry to hear it, but really glad you're ok. Can you keep us up to date how the insurance process works out? Should be an easy win for your insurance company to total your car, pay you the replacement value, then seek those funds from the other driver's insurance company. Curious how they will value the vehicle (ie, whether you simply get paid the listed value or whether they do a market assessment).

Any thoughts on next steps?
I’ll keep you posted. Should be a total loss and payout.

The only brakes I had was the rear of the car scraping against the ground. Keeping control was a challange but it held up well.
Sounds like your driving skills are at least partially responsible for getting you through this safely. Give yourself some credit. Although the car does seem to have done an excellent job of protecting you as well.

There's been quite a few accident photos on here since I joined the forum., mine included. This car does an amazing job of protecting the people inside it, no matter how it's hit. But without your driving skills, it would have been worse.

Glad you’re OK. Great job on somehow controlling your car after the impact!

Impressive save by both you and your Lucid. Glad to hear you faired well given the severity of the impact.

Glad that you are OK. Hope to see you soon in another lucid

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind thoughts…

So, CHP said he was likely doing 100-110mph into the back of me while I was doing 55mph. Direct hit on that rear tire which dislodged it, and rear brake componants, from the car. Airbags deployed and felt like a gunshot to the side of the head and arm. I lost all braking due to the pressure loss from the severed rear brake. Literally zero brakes. Managed to control the car and play a bit of frogger to get it over to the shoulder of the 101. Lots of alarms and smoke in the car.

It was a horrific experience. But, I will say that it was the safety systems in the Lucid and probably the sheer weight of the car that saved me. Very thankful I wasn’t in a smaller or less advanced car.

Insurance is taking care of things and looks like it’s total loss as the battery and entire rear end is toast. I’m just waiting for the assessed value so they can pay off the lease and settle up.
Wow for sure. A testament to Lucid engineering and design that you are still in this forum. Did the drunk driver live? If not, is he in jail? I certainly hope so (the latter; not the former). Also, what are you planning to get to replace it?

Wow for sure. A testament to Lucid engineering and design that you are still in this forum. Did the drunk driver live? If not, is he in jail? I certainly hope so (the latter; not the former). Also, what are you planning to get to replace it?
Drink driver was charged with multiple felonies. As for replacement, definitely looking at the Gravity as a 2025 purchase because I like the Lucid product. But, in the interim I’m thinking about a short lease of a Rivian R1S or Land Rover Defender. Not sure I can go back to ICE Vehicles. It’s tough.

Drink driver was charged with multiple felonies. As for replacement, definitely looking at the Gravity as a 2025 purchase because I like the Lucid product. But, in the interim I’m thinking about a short lease of a Rivian R1S or Land Rover Defender. Not sure I can go back to ICE Vehicles. It’s tough.
The fully electric Defender is not out yet, right? Gravity might beat it to the punch

Back