Backup Camera - Alternate Graphics?

Bob Lahblaw

Verified Owner
Cars
2022 AGT R
My backup camera graphics alternate from time to time between the two versions in the attached pics. In fact just yesterday, backing out, the first version came up (white parallel lines and red perpendicular line), whereas the other day the second version came up (white parallel lines and transparent white “halo effect”). The second version shows up far more often.

It is not clear to me what, if anything, I may be doing different to call up one version over the other. I’ve asked Customer Care about this (and provided photos). Would be great if I could pick one as the constant default. I greatly prefer the white and red…at least at night, as I find the “transparent white halo” version at night makes it much more difficult to see in low light situations.

CS’ immediate response was:

“…Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer on how to choose a default version or even know which the default version is, but I’d like to ask for some time to gather information on this. We will be sure to follow up with you once we have more information to share….”

In the meantime, I thought I would ask the collective brain trust that is LucidOwners.com, to see if anyone else has come across this and/or has any additional info.
I would also like to understand what are the pro’s/con’s and purposes/functions of one version over the other.

31F41B31-F022-4BB5-8181-2BC389C32064.jpeg
EC74FBAB-408B-415A-997D-45CEB9704676.jpeg

There is redundancy in the system by having two cameras. The one with the red line is a faster lower resolution one that comes on immediately. The other one comes on when the 3-D camera system loads.

Gotcha. And I assume currently no option to choose one over the other?

Gotcha. And I assume currently no option to choose one over the other?
That is correct. As far as I know, the lower resolution one, the one with the red line, only loads when the driver puts the car in reverse rather quickly after starting and the 3-D camera system has not had a chance to finish loading.

I’ve done a lot of experimenting with the system and I find (in my AGT) it takes about 40 seconds from the time the car first wakes up until the 3D system becomes active. Some people report faster, but I think it may be because they are just taking a bit longer to get to the car. If I stroll my car from the side, by the time I get to the door (which by now has already been unlocked for a few seconds), get in, press the brake pedal, put on my seatbelt, and put it in reverse most or all of that 40 seconds has already gone by. However if I approach it quickly and jump in, hit the brake, and immediately put it in reverse, I get the one with the red line until loading completes. I hope they can make it faster than 40 seconds in the long run but that seems to be the current lag time.

That is correct. As far as I know, the lower resolution one, the one with the red line, only loads when the driver puts the car in reverse rather quickly after starting and the 3-D camera system has not had a chance to finish loading.

I’ve done a lot of experimenting with the system and I find (in my AGT) it takes about 40 seconds from the time the car first wakes up until the 3D system becomes active. Some people report faster, but I think it may be because they are just taking a bit longer to get to the car. If I stroll my car from the side, by the time I get to the door (which by now has already been unlocked for a few seconds), get in, press the brake pedal, put on my seatbelt, and put it in reverse most or all of that 40 seconds has already gone by. However if I approach it quickly and jump in, hit the brake, and immediately put it in reverse, I get the one with the red line until loading completes. I hope they can make it faster than 40 seconds in the long run but that seems to be the current lag time.
@Bobby This is some A+ explanation stuff right here!! I literally had no idea and will certainly pay more attention. How on earth were you able to figure this out? This should be one of your next YouTube entries.

There's also another version that loads up when rear cross traffic is detected. That version has no lines or markers. Just a red flashing animation in the direction of the warning

I noticed the second view only comes up once my surround view camera has loaded.

Damn, you're good. Thanks for the explanation. I never would have figured that out.

Back