Average mi/kwh

A local newspaper columnist specializing in road and traffic had a series of articles years ago about getting the best (EPA-like) mileage in a hybrid. One rule stood out: drive like there's an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal. Might help, but seems unlikely in a car with as much power as the Air.
One of my feature requests for the Lucid is a "hypermile" mode which uses software to physically limit the power output of the Lucid, be it acceleration, motor usage, speed, whatever.. But I want a mode that is basically "get me the most mi/kw on this mode"

And I think it would be very useful.
Don't want slow speed, acceleration and don't care for range or aren't in the specific situation? Don't use the mode. Simple. Hide it in a menu that enabling it makes it among the buttons before smooth, and otherwise it's not there.

Cant wait to see hummer ev owners crying about 0.05 miles per kw..
If I get my Edition 1 SUV, I won't care about range as long as I can make it through a day or two of driving. No plans for long trips.

One of my feature requests for the Lucid is a "hypermile" mode which uses software to physically limit the power output of the Lucid, be it acceleration, motor usage, speed, whatever.. But I want a mode that is basically "get me the most mi/kw on this mode"

Don't want slow speed, acceleration and don't care for range or aren't in the specific situation? Don't use the mode. Simple. Hide it in a menu that enabling it makes it among the buttons before smooth, and otherwise it's not there.
Good idea, sort of a "limp home" mode but not as restrictive. More "I'm down to 5% SOC and this charging station won't work, need to get to the next one without running out of electrons"

I agree. Years ago I decided to avoid boredom I would drive the back roads from Phoenix to Tucson (I used to do monthly visits for my staff there). I didn't realize that there were no gas stations that way between Florence and Oro Valley. I opened the windows, turned off the AC, and drove 55 mph and just got to a Chevron station in Oro Valley.

This would be a good feature that would hopefully never be used!

I agree. Years ago I decided to avoid boredom I would drive the back roads from Phoenix to Tucson (I used to do monthly visits for my staff there). I didn't realize that there were no gas stations that way between Florence and Oro Valley. I opened the windows, turned off the AC, and drove 55 mph and just got to a Chevron station in Oro Valley.

This would be a good feature that would hopefully never be used!
The trick would be balancing how far it limited acceleration. It's one thing when you are trying to hypermile and you take 20 seconds to get up to 55 mph. But it's different if the car is doing that for you. Could be dangerous in some situations, even if it were easy to turn the setting off. You could panic and get yourself into trouble on a fast moving on ramp.

The trick would be balancing how far it limited acceleration. It's one thing when you are trying to hypermile and you take 20 seconds to get up to 55 mph. But it's different if the car is doing that for you. Could be dangerous in some situations, even if it were easy to turn the setting off. You could panic and get yourself into trouble on a fast moving on ramp.
Agree, it would be a bit tricky. My first thought would be that if someone places the car in hypermile mode then later slams on the accelerator, there's a temporary transition to normal mode. Mild to moderate pressure on the accelerator? Keep hypermiling. Heavy? Temporarily change to Smooth mode, which should be plenty.

If I get my Edition 1 SUV, I won't care about range as long as I can make it through a day or two of driving. No plans for long trips.
When you have a navigator, anything is a mpg upgrade! But wait, you want the hummer for city driving?

When you have a navigator, anything is a mpg upgrade! But wait, you want the hummer for city driving?
The Navigator gets 17-18 mpg around town, so not bad. My C8 Corvette with a V8 get better milage!

Yes, I like driving an SUV. Sit up higher and easier to get in and out of. Just want an electric one.

I think similarly to Sprint mode, there should be a warning of limitations, and as for everything, practice makes perfect and so being aware you're in hypermile mode, you'd take necessary precautions, be it hazards on a 8 grade uphill slope, or whatever

But just a way to really maximize efficiency that won't have so many variables as it does person to person, to make it easier to ger consistent 4+ mi/kw
That's all I'm asking for. And if this means limiting top speed to 70 mph, so be it, being in that mode, I'd be aware of its limitation and won't try to pass someone in that mode, I'd switch to smooth to pass then get back into hypermile mode.

But when camping in the crazy rural areas of Utah where there's not even a gas station in sight for more than 50-70 miles, extreme planning and hyper mile modes may be needed to ensure consistent behavior to get in and out from the destination.

That's my wish list item lol

I think it is very practical when getting low SOC. Rivian has “Conserve mode” to drop truck to lowest suspension to reduce air drag and make Quad motors drive to Dual motors drive.

Since Lucid likes to use modes begins with “S” —“Smooth”, “Swift” and “Sprint”, why not introduce other “S” modes as following?

“Saving” - Reduce electrons output, opposite of “Sprint”.

“Service” - For towing, or bring out diagnostic menu.

“Snow” - Reduce accelerator response and regenerative braking and focus on frictional brake to reduce wheel slippage.

Last edited:
I think it is very practical when getting low SOC. Rivian has “Conserve mode” to drop truck to lowest suspension to reduce air drag and make Quad motors drive to Dual motors drive.

Since Lucid likes to use modes begins with “S” —“Smooth”, “Swift” and “Sprint”, why not introduce other “S” modes as following?

“Saving” - Reduce electrons output, opposite of “Sprint”.

“Service” - For towing, or bring out diagnostic menu.

“Snow” - Reduce accelerator response and regenerative braking and focus on frictional brake to reduce wheel slippage.
If you want to go with the S theme how about Slow mode or Sloth mode or Sleep inducing mode. I’ll take swift and less range any day!

If you want to go with the S theme how about Slow mode or Sloth mode or Sleep inducing mode. I’ll take swift and less range any day!
Me too if that was the choice. But the suggestion was for a hidden slow mode to use just in case one screwed up (or charging stations screwed up) and you need every last electron.

“Sloth” has my vote for “conservation of energy”

In Sloth mode, massage and HVAC may be limited. 😂

I think similarly to Sprint mode, there should be a warning of limitations, and as for everything, practice makes perfect and so being aware you're in hypermile mode, you'd take necessary precautions, be it hazards on a 8 grade uphill slope, or whatever

But just a way to really maximize efficiency that won't have so many variables as it does person to person, to make it easier to ger consistent 4+ mi/kw
That's all I'm asking for. And if this means limiting top speed to 70 mph, so be it, being in that mode, I'd be aware of its limitation and won't try to pass someone in that mode, I'd switch to smooth to pass then get back into hypermile mode.

But when camping in the crazy rural areas of Utah where there's not even a gas station in sight for more than 50-70 miles, extreme planning and hyper mile modes may be needed to ensure consistent behavior to get in and out from the destination.

That's my wish list item lol
This may be tough. We drove today mostly at 70 mph in rolling hills from Columbia, SC to Augusta, GA on 21". Best ratio was 3.3 mi/kW. 60 mph gave 3.6-3.7 mi/kW. My guess is you would need to stay around 50-55mph to achieve 4+. Others have done a chart on the forum, but it is buried.

19" wheels could probably do 60-65 mph for 4+.

I like the idea though. We were pushing it with 8% on arrival or 26-27 miles of real world range left on a 150+ mile roundtrip starting at a lower state of charge. A Sloth mode would have been fantastic.

19" Pure AWD

Road is damp. I wonder how much this affects mileage?

91mi trip total. 2.9 mi/kwh on about 60 miles on freeway averaging about 83mph and 5mi city driving. 25mi on highway averaging 55 mph it increased to 3.3mi/kwh.

I will reset later on the way home so I can see how much I'm getting around 50-65mph.

I have a GT R, 19". Just got 4.4 mi/kWh after leaving an Electrify America charger. I had Adaptive Cruise on the whole time at 75 and then 65 with then speed limit changed.
How to get the display to read kwh/mile?

How to get the display to read kwh/mile?
That was old 1.0.x software. Not anymore on 2.0.x software display. I hope Lucid is bringing something similar or graphical back in the side of instrument cluster.

Back