Aston Martin and Lucid

Looks like AM is saying they will be 4 cars on the new platform developed with Lucid tech.

Fantastic.

Who else wants some Lucid drivetrain tech?!
Not only using Lucid tech, but actual parts Lucid will build in their own Arizona factory. So batteries, motors, all built by Lucid. (At first I thought they just licensed the tech to Aston Martin.)

Not sure if you caught the podcast with Motortrend and the Lucid vehicle dynamics team, but they mentioned one of the engineers petitioning for a RWD car using the sapphire drive unit. The idea being that one motor per wheel could result in some really really fun times on track.

I'd love to see a manufacturer with the history of making fun budget friendly cars pick up this project and make it main stream. Maybe someone like Toyota or Subaru.
1200 hp from ONLY the rear axle... wtf?
If that car ever sees the light of day, it will become the new widowmaker.

Perhaps they will just have an option to disable the front motor on the Sapphire they already plan to ship?

Aston Martin makes some very finely tuned grand touring vehicles with beautiful interiors. Their Achilles Heel is technology with their bread winner DBX shipping with no touch screen and MB system from 2014 in 2023. This should help Lucid with marketing their biggest strength ie. The drivetrain and Aston Martin with the transition.

Also seeing that they will develop a four motor vehicle.

A couple of years ago Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service, told me the Air platform was developed from the outset to take four motors. However, he said a quad-motor setup would be used only in larger vehicles than the Air, such as a truck.

Or in an SUV . . . ?

1200 hp from ONLY the rear axle... wtf?
If that car ever sees the light of day, it will become the new widowmaker.

I doubt if there are any tires you could put on a sedan that could maintain traction with the torque those two motors would lay down at full tilt. So you'd always be dealing with power cutbacks from a traction control system. The dual-motor Dream or GT-P with power being put down through four wheels would undoubtably be quicker -- and maybe even faster -- than a Sapphire with only rear motors, so there really would be no point in a RWD Sapphire.

I doubt if there are any tires you could put on a sedan that could maintain traction with the torque those two motors would lay down at full tilt. So you'd always be dealing with power cutbacks from a traction control system. The dual-motor Dream or GT-P with power being put down through four wheels would undoubtably be quicker -- and maybe even faster -- than a Sapphire with only rear motors, so there really would be no point in a RWD Sapphire.
Obviously, it would not be for speed. I think it would be built to target the same people that the carrera gt was, for a visceral electric driving experienc.(if thats even possible)

Just received this in the mail. Might be fun ... I wonder how many Lucids can be persuaded to show up?

IMG_7519.jpeg

Back