Anyone using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV tires?

raj

Cars
Touring
I just took delivery of some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV winter tires in 245/45R19. I'm planning to get them mounted on the factory 19" rims for my Touring in a couple of weeks. I chose them because I have been happy with Hakkapelittas on previous cars (only ICE, not EV). However, I'm having second thoughts. It was very hard to find a set, so maybe replacements will be a problem, and they don't seem to get mentioned much when people discuss their tire choices. They get good reviews and as far as I can tell they meet the requirements (102T XL). Have I missed something? Is there anything I should be concerned about with this choice? I bought them from Walmart and I think I can still return them.

I just took delivery of some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV winter tires in 245/45R19. I'm planning to get them mounted on the factory 19" rims for my Touring in a couple of weeks. I chose them because I have been happy with Hakkapelittas on previous cars (only ICE, not EV). However, I'm having second thoughts. It was very hard to find a set, so maybe replacements will be a problem, and they don't seem to get mentioned much when people discuss their tire choices. They get good reviews and as far as I can tell they meet the requirements (102T XL). Have I missed something? Is there anything I should be concerned about with this choice? I bought them from Walmart and I think I can still return them.
I haven’t but was considering Nokian all seasons. Why are you choosing the winter compound instead of All Season? I didn’t think there was much of a difference if your car is all wheel drive but range would be better.

AWD helps get you moving, but doesn't help you stop. Winter tires make a big difference when stopping and cornering in snow, ice and cold wet roads. They can also be more effective on dry roads if it's cold enough. All seasons may be sufficient for you depending on the conditions where you use them. I only really need winter tires a few times a season, but when I do need them I am very glad I have them.

I will be picking up my 2024 AT Friday with 20" summer tires and temperatures in the 30s and some snow left...
I am actually getting a dedicated set of winter snow tires/wheels and will be putting Hakka R5 EVs on the 19" wheels. Unfortunately, Lucid will let me take delivery with summer tires but not mount my brand new snow tires. Frustrating and causing me to do some gymnastics to get the snows on. Obviously will be swapping on the summer wheels in about a month.

As an aside I used Hakka R2's on my 2012 Model S and they were great in the snow, lasted well and had as good mileage as the stock AS tires.

I’m sure it’s frustrating that they won’t mount your snow tires, but you are probably better off getting it done elsewhere. I was able to persuade the service center to mount mine, but they charged $400 and mounted two backwards. I had to get them remounted at my local tire shop. The service center manager never responded to my complaint either.

Anyway, congratulations on your new car. The AT is an amazing car. I have put a lot of miles on the Hakka R5s and they have been great too

I’m sure it’s frustrating that they won’t mount your snow tires, but you are probably better off getting it done elsewhere. I was able to persuade the service center to mount mine, but they charged $400 and mounted two backwards. I had to get them remounted at my local tire shop. The service center manager never responded to my complaint either.

Anyway, congratulations on your new car. The AT is an amazing car. I have put a lot of miles on the Hakka R5s and they have been great too
Glad to hear about your R5s. Where are you located and any idea how they affect your range?

I have used their snow tires in the past and I believe that there is no better snow tire available, available being a keyword, those tires were very grippy/noisy and I don't know how they'd effect range on an EV

I am in NY. No idea about range, there are too many variables to isolate the impact of the tires. In any case, one reason for buying a lucid was that I didn’t want to spend a lot of time thinking about range!

There’s a dedicated EV version of the R5, presumably at least partially optimized for range and noise compared to the non-EV version.
Great tires, but the car is very heavy. They have a lot of work to do when stopping or cornering on slippy roads

Yes, I bought the EV version. By the way, they are on sale now at a few places for $270-$300 per tire.

Reactions: raj
Back