McGriddle

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
53RQMXFL
Hi all,

Based on smistry007's previous thread (https://lucidowners.com/threads/subwoofer-bass-solution.4366/) I thought I'd go ahead and add a small subwoofer that I had lying around from a previous car. My goal here was to supplement the low end without taking up too much of the trunk space. I used a Kicker HS8 Hideaway 8" powered sub which has a built-in 150W amp.

Like smistry007, I also tapped into the power from the accessory outlet in the trunk. For access, you simply lift up on the lining as there are no snap connectors. Here are some pics of the connections. Note that the connector to the outlet is pretty short to work with.

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

Onto the rear parcel shelf woofer connection. The center woofer is accessed via removal of the lining's 4 push clips. I'd suggest trim removal tools to prevent snapping anything.

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

Once the 4 connectors are removed, you can pull down the lining to reveal the speakers. There is a small connector to the trunk interior light to disconnect.

IMG_5262.jpg

The central woofer can be seen below. Note that there isn't much room to tap the wires with a wiretap connector, so I used alligator clips as well.

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

With everything connected, putting everything back in place was easy. Overall, (again thanks to smistry007's prior post), this was an easy job. It took me maybe just over an hour being careful. Here is the modest trunk space ten up by the sub. I've laid it flat for now but could mount it sideways as well.

IMG_5266.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with the extra bass to supplement the overall sound. A small sub like this isn't ever going to be aggressively boomy for those who want to rattle the house, but I've found it's a nice compromise for saving trunk space as well.

Nice! do you open the pass through to allow the sub to enter the cabin? Without or without the sub trunk cover on?

Nice! do you open the pass through to allow the sub to enter the cabin? Without or without the sub trunk cover on?
For bass to travel, there’s no need to have direct sound, so I don’t have the pass-through open. I also have the trunk cover on as well. Sounds great with everything closed up. 👍

For bass to travel, there’s no need to have direct sound, so I don’t have the pass-through open. I also have the trunk cover on as well. Sounds great with everything closed up. 👍
Give it a shot, it might sound a bit cleaner and fill the vehicle better :) At least that was my experience. I open the pass throughs. May have some slight phase issues though since you have two drivers at different distances.

Nice install! I assume this applies to both surround and surround pro systems?
Thanks! Great question. I have the Surreal Sound Pro, but I believe regular Surreal Sound also has the central woofer on the rear deck.

it wasn't easy confirming it on the interweb, but i think it is a yes

I like how it fits in the trunk, was there room for a 10" in that orientation you have it?

I like how it fits in the trunk, was there room for a 10" in that orientation you have it?
It should fit but depends on the enclosure. See this link for a custom one i had built.

Yes, the 10” version of the Kicker Hideaway sub will fit as well. They’re very compact and take up little room.

Back