Another interesting review & set of observations

I'm still perplexed about why they backed away from an air suspension at start of production. There is simply nothing new about the technology, and all other premium EVs as well as Rivian are hitting the market with air suspensions.

However, this is the fourth review of a ride-along in which the reviewer said the suspension was incredibly compliant on rough surfaces, and the two who rode in the car through dynamic maneuvers at speed said it was very well-planted, on par even with the Porsche Taycan. So, since everything here in Florida is flat as a pancake, ride height adjustment is not an issue for me, so I'm just going to quit worrying about this and figure it's one less thing to malfunction on the car.

Yup, the article did put my mind at ease about the lack of air suspension. With that said I absolutely agree with you that its absence is still odd.

Last edited:
What is the reliability of air suspension; these cars aren't light, so there has to be a point where the system has to be serviced, the compressor seals, the lines and their seals, etc? I actually prefer a coil spring set up with adaptive shocks. That said, ride height adjustment for driveway or garage grades is a definite plus. I do like the fact that the design is so slick, very understated, yet esthetic at the same time. The listed dimensions, 76.3 x 55.5 x 196.9" are similar a Model S or Panamera; the Lucid folks mentioned that the Air exterior was closer in size to a medium size car perhaps because of the length.

Air suspensions were first developed heading into World War II to handle the weight of airplanes which overloaded coil springs. Their superior weight capacity is the main reason they are used in the trucking industry. So the weight of the Lucid is not a problem for an air suspension.

Air suspensions do have more components that can fail than a coil spring suspension, but they have been in service long enough to know that they have a pretty good reliability record. On the other hand, the only major component that failed during my ownership of two Lexus RX's was an adjustable air suspension system. (Lexus only made that option available for a couple of years.)

I have owned cars with superb coil spring / semi-active damper suspensions, including three Audi R8's, so I'm not hostile to them. But for a luxury car as low-slung as the Air, I think the absence of ride-height adjustment will be problematic for people who have to contend with steep driveways, concrete parking stops, or even some of the exaggerated speed bumps we occasionally find in Florida gated communities and strip malls.

My son texted me to show me a picture he shot of the Lucid on display in the new NYC location. He was in the area with a friend and noticed the Lucid location and stopped in. Interestingly they wouldn't allow anyone to sit in the car unless they had an appointment. I have no idea why. He mentioned his dad had a deposit down and they told him they'd be happy to let him examine the car inside & out if he made an appointment.

Is this the same procedure being followed in Florida?

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 206
Is this the same procedure being followed in Florida?

I have encountered a different protocol on each of my three visits. When I first visited the Miami showroom we were at the height of the pandemic, and no one was being allowed to sit in the car.

My next visit was to the Palm Beach location where only people with appointments for private viewings were allowed to sit in the car.

My third visit was back to the Miami studio where all comers were allowed to sit in the car.

Question. I don't remember. Does the Lucid Air come with Rear Wheel steering. I have RWS on my Panamera and find it indispensable in tight parking lots.

Not to my knowledge. Personally, I can’t say this is of any great concern to me.

Back