Annual fee for owning EVs?

Considering gasoline tax is a major source of revenue for some states, this isn’t too surprising.

Why was my post about Washington's fee deleted? It has one of the highest fees in the nation, as I noted. There was no "political motivation" with the use of the term "dark-blue." Believe me, I'm as dark-blue as they come on this forum. This entire topic is political if you get right down to it--just look at the first sentence of the linked article!!!! Jeez.

Considering gasoline tax is a major source of revenue for some states, this isn’t too surprising.
I suppose. But the fee is exorbitant. And in the article, it states they are only down about a quarter of one percent on tax revenue due to EVs at the federal level

They do make up some of that difference in sales tax revenue from the fact that EVs have a higher average sales price than ICE cars.

The increased quality of life should be worth something to the state. I'd love for everyone to have an EV if for no other reason than the quietness and cleaner air around the streets.

They do make up some of that difference in sales tax revenue from the fact that EVs have a higher average sales price than ICE cars.

The increased quality of life should be worth something to the state. I'd love for everyone to have an EV if for no other reason than the quietness and cleaner air around the streets.
Sales tax goes into the general fund typically, gasoline / EV taxes are "supposed" to go to road repair/maintenance.

It’s a wash here in Texas. States sales tax 8%, saved average per gallon is $3.5/gallon. The embedded TX state gasoline tax is 20c per gallon.

X = number of gallon
200 = X * 3.5 * 0.08 + X * 0.2
200 = 0.28 X + 0.2 X
200 = 0.48 X
X = 416.66 gallons

1 gallon = 25 miles (national average)
416.66 gallon x 25 mpg= 10,466 miles

$200 Texas registeration EV tax is at par with an EV driven 10,466 miles. Calling it PUNITIVE TAX is a bit blowing out of proportion journalism.

Why was my post about Washington's fee deleted? It has one of the highest fees in the nation, as I noted. There was no "political motivation" with the use of the term "dark-blue." Believe me, I'm as dark-blue as they come on this forum. This entire topic is political if you get right down to it--just look at the first sentence of the linked article!!!! Jeez.
Both sides are taking a whack at EV owners. Do you see that dark green state labeled AL? Alabama is ranked 6th worst for EVs and spared a worse rating by Birmingham.

We get a double hit from a higher sale price with annual property taxes and a fee for owning electric. Could care less about the politics involved. The fee is stupid and extortion by nickle and dime-ing us on the traditional front and new fee front.

It’s a wash here in Texas. States sales tax 8%, saved average per gallon is $3.5/gallon. The embedded TX state gasoline tax is 20c per gallon.

X = number of gallon
200 = X * 3.5 * 0.08 + X * 0.2
200 = 0.28 X + 0.2 X
200 = 0.48 X
X = 416.66 gallons

1 gallon = 25 miles (national average)
416.66 gallon x 25 mpg= 10,466 miles

$200 Texas registeration EV tax is at par with an EV driven 10,466 miles. Calling it PUNITIVE TAX is a bit blowing out of proportion journalism.
So you disagree with their contention that it's more than the average ICE car driver would pay in taxes?

Either way, it's not fair that it's a one size fits all fee vs based on usage/mileage. But I'm not sure how they could implement that other than taxing electricity more than they already do

NH just implemented that as of late September, so I ducked it this year. It is a flat $100 for EVs and $50 for Hybrids. I'm not sure how this could be realistically done, but paying in to fund road maintenance is not a huge issue for me. I view this the same way I see paying a grid fee for my electricity, since I am not entirely off the grid. If I am using the infrastructure, I should pay for some of the maintenance.

So you disagree with their contention that it's more than the average ICE car driver would pay in taxes?

Either way, it's not fair that it's a one size fits all fee vs based on usage/mileage. But I'm not sure how they could implement that other than taxing electricity more than they already do

For Texas, I think it’s a reasonable offset. They gotta get their tax somewhere to fix the road and potholes. I just think Texas should incentivize EV adoption lik many states do with some rebate incentives. But I do see more EVs on the road year after year in Houston. Perhaps inflection point is merely 4-6 years away from accelerated adoption.

NH just implemented that as of late September, so I ducked it this year. It is a flat $100 for EVs and $50 for Hybrids. I'm not sure how this could be realistically done, but paying in to fund road maintenance is not a huge issue for me. I view this the same way I see paying a grid fee for my electricity, since I am not entirely off the grid. If I am using the infrastructure, I should pay for some of the maintenance.
+1

For Texas, I think it’s a reasonable offset. They gotta get their tax somewhere to fix the road and potholes. I just think Texas should incentivize EV adoption lik many states do with some rebate incentives. But I do see more EVs on the road year after year in Houston. Perhaps inflection point is merely 4-6 years away from accelerated adoption.
I received a $1,000 rebate from my electric company for purchasing an EV, $100 rebate on the charger, and get the discounted off-peak EV electricity rates (if I opt not to use my solar meter); I also received the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit and a $300 Federal Tax Credit for my charger. None of those are/were available to those buying ICE cars, so I think I came out ahead of the game.

Back