Android Auto Thursday

I switched to iphone this week after using Samsung phones for the last 10 years. Partially for work, partially to better integrate with apple TVs at home and with family members, but also because I got tired of waiting for Android Auto. It's a sad day. But I do like the wireless Carplay.
As an aside, I was surprised how useful Apple's watch turned out to be with our cars compared to Google's, primarily due to available apps. On mine are Lucid and Volvo apps for unlocking our cars, etc. Neither is available for an Android smartwatch. Apple's Compass app automatically remembers distance and direction to your parked car, helpful when traveling. I used a Google watch with my Pixel 7 Pro for a few months, but didn't get enough utility out of it to warrant strapping something on my wrist every day.

I will likely go back to using a Pixel phone once the Air has either native Google Maps or Android Auto, or when I buy a different car. But for now the iPhone with Watch is a workable and sometimes pleasant compromise.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!!!

Just remember that "Patience is the art of hoping." — Luc de Clapiers

Happy AA Thursday! I just need to give the weekly reminder that we are screwed, no quotes needed!

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!!!

Just remember that "Patience is the art of hoping." — Luc de Clapiers
1000012590.gif

Art and patience? Bob Ross popped in my head immediately. #dreAAm

In a related note, Ford joins the AAOS/GAS club: the 2025 Explorer has access to Google's App store so users can choose to install and run Google Maps, Waze, ABRP, Plugshare, Youtube, Amazon Prime Video, Spotify, Tidal, Youtube music, iHeart Radio, Chrome browser, and even gaming apps, just like a cellphone. Choice of Google Assistant or Alexa for voice control. Of course, it also runs CarPlay and Android Auto.

i took 4 Uber/Lyft in two cities this past week and 3 of them had Android Auto running for navigation and the last dude was using the Uber navigation app even though his car supported Android Auto. every time i see it in an Uber or on a rental car, it's like adding salt to a wound :( . C'mon Lucid do better!

Android Auto gets 'MyRadar' app to show weather on your route

https://9to5google.com/2024/02/07/android-auto-my-radar-app/
Most auto manufacturers shouldn't even try to keep up with Google/Android in terms of developing their own vehicle infotainment, navigation software. They will never catch up in terms of software options, features, and software quality offered by Google and the multitude of other developers in the Android ecosystem. That's especially true of vehicle manufacturers with limited capital for software development.

Lucid made a good decision to provide plenty of screen real estate in their vehicles. That's an example of good Lucid hardware design not taken full advantage of by poor Lucid software design. Hardware good, software mediocre has been a common theme for Lucid since their first vehicle rolled off the assembly line.

The sooner Lucid learns the lesson of investing where they are good (hardware), and partnering with others where they aren't good (software), the better for its customers and the company's future.

Most auto manufacturers shouldn't even try to keep up with Google/Android in terms of developing their own vehicle infotainment, navigation software.....
I'm encouraged that so many manufacturers are embracing AAOS with Google's Automotive Suite, including an in-dash app store. We have it in our Volvo EV, and while not as polished in appearance as Lucid's completely custom approach, it is extremely functional and benefits from app improvements from third parties. In use, it is basically the difference between using a Blackberry vs an Android or iOS phone.

I'm encouraged that so many manufacturers are embracing AAOS with Google's Automotive Suite, including an in-dash app store. We have it in our Volvo EV, and while not as polished in appearance as Lucid's completely custom approach, it is extremely functional and benefits from app improvements from third parties. In use, it is basically the difference between using a Blackberry vs an Android or iOS phone.
Lucid had, and still has, a good opportunity to take advantage of AAOS/GAS on the driver panel, and do their own customization on the lower panel. This would give them the best of both worlds. All the advantages of AAOS/GAS, along with highly customized, elegant looking software of their own making on the lower panel.

Some of the Lucid software design decisions can beat be described as "what were they thinking?". They had a clean slate to do their vehicle software design right from the beginning, just like they did with the hardware. And they blew it by trying to do too much on their own.

Hopefully somebody at Lucid will say let's start over and do their software design right this time. It's still early enough to do it right.

if you ask me, Android Auto hasn’t been released because of a looming partnership with Apple. It’s the only explanation. Every vehicle has Android Auto, it’s not hard to implement. There is a deeper reason here why it hasn’t been released. Ever wonder why in the Lucid Videos they all wear Apple Watches? Time will tell.

Back