Android Auto Thursday

I bet you majority of Android users wishing and waiting for AA would be complaining a lot less if the car NAV was as good as Google Maps. AA then becomes a nice to have and waiting would be more tolerable.

I bet you majority of Android users wishing and waiting for AA would be complaining a lot less if the car NAV was as good as Google Maps. AA then becomes a nice to have and waiting would be more tolerable.
I don't know if any car Navigation is as good as Google Maps or Waze. I've had the Honda Navigation tell me there was no hospital nearby when I knew I was about five miles away from one, I just couldn't remember the turn. Plus Google is more connected to your contacts and is better about knowing business names and addresses.
But it'll get here when it gets here. I'm not wasting my time thinking about it. Well, maybe a few minutes of the week, usually when I'm reading this board.

The crowd sourcing aspects of Google's navigation apps are very difficult for any car company to emulate. Google has access to much more real time data that makes navigation better, both from you and its millions of users.

Users with today's smartphones have high expectations for navigation systems. Google has more experience, more data, more developers, and much more money to build and enhance navigation apps than a car company, or any other company actually.

It's frankly a waste of capital for any car manufacturer, especially a young one where capital is precious, to try to build their own navigation system to match current users' expectations from navigation apps.

I bet you majority of Android users wishing and waiting for AA would be complaining a lot less if the car NAV was as good as Google Maps....
I don't know if any car Navigation is as good as Google Maps or Waze....

Volvo, Polestar, and soon several other vehicle manufacturer's vehicles have native Google maps. It works great, and IMO is clearly the most accurate and effective navigation available. Integration with Google Maps on the desktop and on phones is perfect.

Volvo and Polestar cars all have Carplay available, but not Android Auto, as there is no need for it. Google Maps, Waze, Youtube, Spotify, Tidal, iHeart radio, etc are all available as native apps in the car through the car's app store.

I wouldn't care at all about Android Auto if Lucid cars had native Google Maps.

I would settle for basically competent maps. The Lucid one is simply comically wrong many times. Since Lucid has never responded to the myriad of complaints, perhaps it did an exclusive deal with Fred Flintstone's Bait, Tackle, fried catfish and Auto Navigation. The native map system negatively effects the brand, for me.

Volvo, Polestar, and soon several other vehicle manufacturer's vehicles have native Google maps. It works great, and IMO is clearly the most accurate and effective navigation available. Integration with Google Maps on the desktop and on phones is perfect.

Volvo and Polestar cars all have Carplay available, but not Android Auto, as there is no need for it. Google Maps, Waze, Youtube, Spotify, Tidal, iHeart radio, etc are all available as native apps in the car through the car's app store.

I wouldn't care at all about Android Auto if Lucid cars had native Google Maps.
Volvo, and specifically Volvo's CEO Jim Rowan, has the right Idea when it comes to a their vehicle software. It's all about giving the customer choices, and being selective where to develop your own vehicle software.

Volvo's vehicles, including Polestar, use Google's GAS.

Here's an interview that goes in-depth into Volvo's perspective with its software design. https://www.theverge.com/23958821/v...ars-apple-carplay-google-android-auto-decoder

The Lucid nav has also been unstable for me, crashing while being used for navigation and instead of reopening it just disappears and then you have to click back through everything to restart it.

I would settle for basically competent maps. The Lucid one is simply comically wrong many times. Since Lucid has never responded to the myriad of complaints, perhaps it did an exclusive deal with Fred Flintstone's Bait, Tackle, fried catfish and Auto Navigation. The native map system negatively effects the brand, for me.

The Lucid nav has also been unstable for me, crashing while being used for navigation and instead of reopening it just disappears and then you have to click back through everything to restart it.
Lucid NAV has been excellent for me in every way except for one.
HERE naps is extremely difficult and unnecessarily complicated with its turn by turn directions and instructions when you drive.
So many times it tells me to turn left or right, when in reality it should be telling me to continue straight or merge.

HERE really needs to work on the directional graphics.

My main reason for Android Auto is for Waze

Haven't seen this, but I have had it:
Take me miles out into the desert away from our intended charging stop
Fail to find a route home, for about an hour, from a major California highway (with good GPS and LTE signal)
Display a map correctly, but the car's position is mislocated on the map (again with good GPS and LTE signal)
Tell me to "keep right" on a four lane freeway ever mile or so for about 30 miles, around each HOV lane broken-line-merge marking in the far left lane.
Tell me to "turn right" which would've taken me the wrong way on a freeway onramp. The actual onramp was about 700 feet further down the road.

Lucid NAV has been excellent for me in every way except for one.
HERE naps is extremely difficult and unnecessarily complicated with its turn by turn directions and instructions when you drive....
Apple Maps seems to have the best verbal directions.
Google Maps generally has the most complete and up-to-date maps data.
HERE maps is a very distant third in both aspects.

Integration with Google Maps on the desktop and on phones is perfect.
This is probably my sole reason why I want AA or native Google Maps so bad. I love that I can search, save, mark, etc the locations or names on my desktop, and the info passes to my phone. I can then trust with 99% confidence it will get the best route for me in the car in real time while I drive. I also use Waze and Highway Radar which are available on AA. #dreAAm

Haven't seen this, but I have had it:
Take me miles out into the desert away from our intended charging stop
Fail to find a route home, for about an hour, from a major California highway (with good GPS and LTE signal)
Display a map correctly, but the car's position is mislocated on the map (again with good GPS and LTE signal)
Tell me to "keep right" on a four lane freeway ever mile or so for about 30 miles, around each HOV lane broken-line-merge marking in the far left lane.
Tell me to "turn right" which would've taken me the wrong way on a freeway onramp. The actual onramp was about 700 feet further down the road.
My favorite is when it tells me to turn after the intersection.
Reminds me when my wife USED to navigate from a map before we had Google/online maps: darling you SHOULD have turned back at the intersection you just passed. or: I think that was the turn we just passed....

My favorite is when it tells me to turn after the intersection.
Reminds me when my wife USED to navigate from a map before we had Google/online maps: darling you SHOULD have turned back at the intersection you just passed. or: I think that was the turn we just passed....
The worst is when you DO miss the turn, but it takes so damn long rerouting that you end up passing the next 5 turns

The worst is when you DO miss the turn, but it takes so damn long rerouting that you end up passing the next 5 turns
For LA drivers, try to find a specific house address in Beverly Hills / Bel Air where LTE drops in spots in the hills. You get the scenic tour of all the nice homes for 40 minutes when you were actually 5 min away if the NAV gave you the right turn at the right time. I've drove many a circles but now I know what neighborhood I may want to live 😉

For LA drivers, try to find a specific house address in Beverly Hills / Bel Air where LTE drops in spots in the hills. You get the scenic tour of all the nice homes for 40 minutes when you were actually 5 min away if the NAV gave you the right turn at the right time. I've drove many a circles but now I know what neighborhood I may want to live 😉
The 40 minutes is just to move the 1 mile.

I was visiting Santa Monica and took me an additional 30 minutes to get to my hotel at 8 pm because they closed the roads for construction without providing proper detours, and had to go like up over a mountain and around in circles and kept coming across closures until I had to call the hotel and say wtf I can't get to you.
(one of the best parts of Waze is you can report a specific direction of closure and it'll do its best to route around it)
No other app can do that right now.

But also to clarify on the point I meant above as well, it is bad when you're low on signal, but I also meant that when you miss a turn and it takes 5 seconds to reroute you but you're still driving 45 mpg on whatever road you're on, and it keeps trying to tell you to make the next right into whatever neighborhood to turn you around, but that 5 seconds that goes by before it tells you, you end up missing that turn, repeat this for about 20 seconds until you pull over to give it enough time to properly route you ahead of time.

You think some navigation apps would be smart enough to foresee you going 45 mph and knowing you won't be able to cut people off or make an immediate turn without warning or foresight.

Sometimes I'm shocked these were never thought about.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!!

Just remember that “Patience is not passive. It is concentrated strength” – Bruce Lee

I concur: I'd settle simply for Google maps. However, in lieu of Android Auto, I'd also like a native/local voice recognition rather than Alexa. Amazon already knows enough about me, but it doesn't yet know where I travel.

Back