• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Android Auto Thursday

You're not Lucid so you are not expected to do anything. I'm sure Lucid follows this forum and having them see users' disappointment with lack of AA may help them prioritize things. At least that's how I take this. You can't stop people from complaining about things that's important to them and at the same time I can't expect people to not offer third party solutions in response. I get that as well. Ignoring a thread will at least solve one group's problem.

Oh i did provide them feedback about this so they know.

This thread is 34 pages long. At which point do we think Lucid got the hint that customers are disappointed? I think it's safe to assume the problem has been well documented. When they plan to address it is anyone's guess, since none of us are in the room. We can't control that.

There's lodging a legitimate complaint, and then there's daily commiserating. The first is super valuable, we all agree. The second, well… The thread is still here, so clearly we mods are willing to admit this thread serves at least some purpose for those folks who are still patiently waiting.

But as far as providing a space to just rant into the ether goes, that's not really in the spirit of this community. So my vote would be to not allow certain threads to just devolve into an echo chamber of endless airing of grievance, regardless of who chooses to ignore it. That sort of content simply doesn't belong here.

If you walked into my house and saw a bunch of folks happily chatting each other up as you walked around, and then you opened a door to another room and a group of people in there were ranting endlessly, shouting over each other, it wouldn't matter to you if I said "Hey, just ignore those guys. Stay out of the room; it's all good." You'd head for the front door and never come back.

Having said that, I do fully endorse your suggestion that anyone who is not a mod* should take advantage of the ignore button. That includes ignoring posts from individuals as well. It's a lovely solution to the problem of dealing with those topics you just aren't interested in, or the people you just aren't interested in. Good call.

I don't believe it's a sufficient solution for the forum itself, though.

*Mods don't have the option of ignoring anything here, for obvious reasons.

We should all open up a service ticket every Thursday saying "couldn't find android auto". :)

We should all open up a service ticket every Thursday saying "couldn't find android auto". :)
Please don’t do this.

I guarantee you Lucid is well aware that people want AA. Inundating them with requests customer service can’t do anything about is just going to cause other owners to wait longer while they archive your requests.

But up to you, of course.

Here's what I did for the Android Auto issue, for a variety of reasons including wanting to use Google Maps to replace my Air's HERE maps: switch to an iPhone, perhaps temporarily.

It's not as bad as it sounds assuming the money isn't an issue. You can use Google's GMail, Calendar, Maps, Chrome, Photos, GBoard apps instead of Apple's. The phone becomes just a hardware device that happens to function better with the Air.

In return, you'll get Carplay on the Air so that you can navigate using Google Maps, and a nice Lucid app for an iWatch (if you buy the watch) that lets you lock/unlock the car, open frunk/trunk, etc. Also your friends won't secretly look down on you with your green bubbles in iMessage. You'll be in the blue-bubble crowd.

By using familiar Google's phone apps and cloud data instead of Apple's, you'll lose nothing in translation and nearly all will work as they always have on Android.

The iPhone's video quality will be better than your current phone. Apple's smartwatch functionality is better than Google's and Samsung's, with Lucid and myQ apps (garage door opener control). Apple's Pro earbud functionality is similar to Google's.

Downsides are that you'll lose text messages that you sent using the iPhone if/when you switch back to Android. You won't be able to text/RCS from a web browser, just from your phone. Photo quality will be different, for better or worse, depending on subject and personal preference. Your exiting wireless charger probably won't work, but your USB-C cables and wall charger will.

You can migrate your current Android phone's contents and many apps to an iPhone using Apple's "move to iOS" app. Don't move photos on your Android phone to your new iPhone, or you'll get duplicates of them in Google Photos. Without moving existing photos to the iPhone, they'll show up as usual in the Google Photos app. Don't sync Apple's Calendar app with Google, or you'll have both Apple calendar and Google calendar sending you event notifications - even if you uninstall ("remove") Apple's Calendar app.

Assuming you're already using Google's cloud for backup, use your free 5GB iCloud account to back up only the phone's settings and app settings/data. Don't use iCloud to back up photos - use Google Photo's backup to Google's cloud for that.

I can handle the delay in software. Begrudgingly.

I cannot understand Lucid's reticence to communicate. They must be adopting the Chinese business philosophy: if you are asked a question for which your answer would be unpleasant to the listener, ignore the question and say nothing.

I have taught executive communication and litigation avoidence for decades. Paramount is saying something when others are expecting a reply. Even if you do not have a definitive answer. Saying we are working on it, or cannot afford the expense now or don't have the people, are legimate answers. Even: I don't know. If you say nothing, I teach executives that people will think you do not care. Better they dislike your answer than think you just don't care.

Here's what I did for the Android Auto issue, for a variety of reasons including wanting to use Google Maps to replace my Air's HERE maps: switch to an iPhone, perhaps temporarily.

It's not as bad as it sounds assuming the money isn't an issue. You can use Google's GMail, Calendar, Maps, Chrome, Photos, GBoard apps instead of Apple's. The phone becomes just a hardware device that happens to function better with the Air.

In return, you'll get Carplay on the Air so that you can navigate using Google Maps, and a nice Lucid app for an iWatch (if you buy the watch) that lets you lock/unlock the car, open frunk/trunk, etc. Also your friends won't secretly look down on you with your green bubbles in iMessage. You'll be in the blue-bubble crowd.

By using familiar Google's phone apps and cloud data instead of Apple's, you'll lose nothing in translation and nearly all will work as they always have on Android.

The iPhone's video quality will be better than your current phone. Apple's smartwatch functionality is better than Google's and Samsung's, with Lucid and myQ apps (garage door opener control). Apple's Pro earbud functionality is similar to Google's.

Downsides are that you'll lose text messages that you sent using the iPhone if/when you switch back to Android. You won't be able to text/RCS from a web browser, just from your phone. Photo quality will be different, for better or worse, depending on subject and personal preference. Your exiting wireless charger probably won't work, but your USB-C cables and wall charger will.

You can migrate your current Android phone's contents and many apps to an iPhone using Apple's "move to iOS" app. Don't move photos on your Android phone to your new iPhone, or you'll get duplicates of them in Google Photos. Without moving existing photos to the iPhone, they'll show up as usual in the Google Photos app. Don't sync Apple's Calendar app with Google, or you'll have both Apple calendar and Google calendar sending you event notifications - even if you uninstall ("remove") Apple's Calendar app.

Assuming you're already using Google's cloud for backup, use your free 5GB iCloud account to back up only the phone's settings and app settings/data. Don't use iCloud to back up photos - use Google Photo's backup to Google's cloud for that.
I hate it when your sage advice is logical and sound yet contradicts what I WANT. But you can't always get what you blah blah blah...

I just ordered an Iphone to test as well

Can folks using Carlinkit share a video/images of how the screen looks on their Lucid? And share the cons please?
- Reliable consistent connection every time you get into your vehicle?
- Any AA menu/display not showing up? Hidden due to Lucid panel layout?
- Latency from the time you initiate a command to execution?
- Split screen? How good is it?

TIA
M
P.S: Goog-ncle did not result in any images/videos. Hence the ask here.
I would like to see a few pictures of it running too, before I spend the money and the time setting it up.

You won't be able to text/RCS from a web browser, just from your phone.
You can from a Mac if you own one.
Your exiting wireless charger probably won't work, but your USB-C cables and wall charger will.
Any wireless charger will work fine. iPhone supports any Qi or similar wireless charger.

You won’t have the nice MagSafe functionality to keep it in place, but it’ll charge fine. So will your AirPods or any other wireless charging device (except the watch, for which you’d use the puck it comes with).

...Any wireless charger will work fine. iPhone supports any Qi or similar wireless charger....
Our two different Google-branded vertical-stand type (portrait orientation) wireless chargers didn't work reliably with our iPhone 15s. I think the problem was vertical misalignment (height difference) of the charging coil in a Pixel phone vs iPhone. I'd expect any landscape-orientation charger or flat charging pad should work.

This. I did both Carlinkit 13 AI and iPhone 15. Both are good working solutions but both have their quirks.

CLK needs a reboot at times, phone audio isn't great and drops sometimes, and slight delays in response in some of the apps but overall delivers AA as you would use it in the right size fit window.

iPhone CarPlay just works as expected. I only use Google Maps and Waze. (Still getting the pulsing issue on Maps but not on Waze.) The big cons are you can't connect your primary Android phone at the same time for calls in the car and no other Google Apps you would normally use in a car like calendar, contacts, meet, etc.

I chose to keep the iPhone (also needed it for work) and returned the CLK. If you're a hardcore Android user like me and your life is on your phone, both are temporary fixes until true AA is native like CarPlay.

Android Auto sounds cool. I've never owned a car with it. So I continue to just stick my phone in the cupholder, bluetooth the audio, and glance down if an audio direction was confusing. Lol. Really doesn't seem like that big a deal, but maybe I'll become a convert when they implement it

If you walked into my house and saw a bunch of folks happily chatting each other up as you walked around, and then you opened a door to another room and a group of people in there were ranting endlessly, shouting over each other, it wouldn't matter to you if I said "Hey, just ignore those guys. Stay out of the room; it's all good." You'd head for the front door and never come back.
that depends on what kind of food you have at your house 😜

i see your point but it's a public forum. you folks can lock this thread and have these discussions leaked into other threads or have it all in one place. i don't think Ignore thread is an option currently though. let me know if there's an option and i missed it.

This thread is 34 pages long. At which point do we think Lucid got the hint that customers are disappointed? I think it's safe to assume the problem has been well documented. When they plan to address it is anyone's guess, since none of us are in the room. We can't control that.

There's lodging a legitimate complaint, and then there's daily commiserating. The first is super valuable, we all agree. The second, well… The thread is still here, so clearly we mods are willing to admit this thread serves at least some purpose for those folks who are still patiently waiting.

But as far as providing a space to just rant into the ether goes, that's not really in the spirit of this community. So my vote would be to not allow certain threads to just devolve into an echo chamber of endless airing of grievance, regardless of who chooses to ignore it. That sort of content simply doesn't belong here.

Having said that, I do fully endorse your suggestion that anyone who is not a mod* should take advantage of the ignore button. That includes ignoring posts from individuals as well. It's a lovely solution to the problem of dealing with those topics you just aren't interested in, or the people you just aren't interested in. Good call.

I don't believe it's a sufficient solution for the forum itself, though.

*Mods don't have the option of ignoring anything here, for obvious reasons.
I mean, this thread is just kind of a running joke to me, because it is obvious that Lucid knows about this issue.

A great write up on how to switch ecosystems. It tickled me that the solution to android auto woes is just get carplay.

Getting a carlink seems more digestable though.

Please don’t do this.

I guarantee you Lucid is well aware that people want AA. Inundating them with requests customer service can’t do anything about is just going to cause other owners to wait longer while they archive your requests.

But up to you, of course.
Obviously a joke lol. Lighten up.

I picked up my Hummer EV SUV yesterday and Android Auto is fully integrated into the GM infotainment system. Once I paired my phone everything just worked, maps, calls, music and messages.

Navigation shows up on all screens. I hope that Lucid does as good a job!

I just got back from vacation in Japan and am happy to say I had a dream.... a vision of AA coming to our vehicles like an angel, hovering above and bestowing a great but terrible power upon us and our conveyances.
Also, I'll take work week 37 in the '2024 whens aa coming to Lucid' pool

Back