Android Auto Thursday

I gave up on Android auto I had to use google maps at least 6 times when lucid nav took me to the wrong location given the same address. I plan to replace my minivan with a used ev in about 5 years and it will not be gravity unless they have android auto or google maps.
By this point, I’m very surprised you haven’t bought a carlinkit. It would solve your problems, and you could stop using a phone mount lol

By this point, I’m very surprised you haven’t bought a carlinkit. It would solve your problems, and you could stop using a phone mount lol
Seems like piling on a couple kludges to fix a shortcoming in the car's software.

The mount for the phone is simple.

I love how all the content Carplay folks downplay the AA misstep by Lucid. Lucid set an expectation that AA would be available. No reasonable person would assume that it would be significantly delayed behind a Carplay release. I get their frustration. The argument that a majority of the Air owners are in the Apple ecosphere so "it makes sense" that Lucid would focus their energy there doesn't hold water to those expecting an Android Auto integration. Proposing a third party solution is like rubbing salt in a wound.

Lucid's silence on the issue is deafening. Since Lucid said AA would be integrated, they should either set an appropriate expectation of delivery, or announce that their focus has changed and AA is not in the implementation future. Doing nothing isn't acceptable to those expecting AA.

Happy for you Carplay folks, though.

EDIT: I saw the above thread comments and posted this reply. I suspect it belongs in the Android Auto thread, though. Sorry mods. You can move it if you feel it's necessary.

I love how all the content Carplay folks downplay the AA misstep by Lucid. Lucid set an expectation that AA would be available. No reasonable person would assume that it would be significantly delayed behind a Carplay release. I get their frustration. The argument that a majority of the Air owners are in the Apple ecosphere so "it makes sense" that Lucid would focus their energy there doesn't hold water to those expecting an Android Auto integration. Proposing a third party solution is like rubbing salt in a wound.

Lucid's silence on the issue is deafening. Since Lucid said AA would be integrated, they should either set an appropriate expectation of delivery, or announce that their focus has changed and AA is not in the implementation future. Doing nothing isn't acceptable to those expecting AA.

I don't see anyone downplaying anything. Android Auto absolutely should have shipped by now. You will read no argument from anyone about that. Trust me, we all know this.

The thing is, when presented with a less than ideal situation, you have two choices. You can constantly be angry about it and shout into the ether to make yourself feel better. Or you can find a workaround to help ease the suffering in the meantime.

It won't make things whole (and more importantly, it doesn't let Lucid off the hook) but it can absolutely lead to a happier ownership experience.

When my rear deck was creaking, and it was driving me nuts, I brought it up here. And @Bobby showed me a great quick fix with some foam and five minutes of my time. That didn't change the fact my car should not be creaking in the first place. But it sure helped me forget about it until the next time I could bring it in to service to get a proper fix.

This entire forum is dedicated to owners helping other owners find solutions to such problems. That's our culture. It is not an echo chamber where people constantly moan about the way they wish things were. It's not a commiseration factory. (Although it sure looks like that sometimes.)

There are lots of great places on the internet for just being angry and shaking your fists at the sky. That's not here.

If you find yourself frustrated people here are trying to help you, I don't know what to say. Because that's literally why this site exists. You came to a place where people ask for help, and then got mad when people tried to help.

You never have to accept the help, of course. Everyone has different tolerances for what they consider a worthwhile workaround. But telling people not to try to make suggestions in a forum created for the express purpose of finding solutions to problems is just—bizarre.

Seems like piling on a couple kludges to fix a shortcoming in the car's software.
It is. I don’t disagree.

The mount for the phone is simple.
So is carlinkit. Plug in, sync your phone, done. Seamless, and you get android auto without having to stress.

Nobody is downplaying anything. I am the first one to be very surprised AA isn’t out yet. While I won’t use it, I’d love to never hear about it again, so of course I want it done.

It absolutely does make sense for Lucid to focus on the vast majority of their customers. Hypothetically, if it’s a 95%/5% split, of course they’d focus on CarPlay first. I’d do the same thing.

That doesn’t mean never building AA.

Proposing a third party solution is rubbing salt into a wound? Fine, hang out wounded by your lonesome, complaining the whole time instead of taking the lifeline.

The goal here is to help you find a workaround for something that doesn’t exist in the car today. You don’t have to accept the help and can instead sit there upset until Lucid eventually, maybe, builds AA. That is your prerogative.

I don’t disagree. But, they haven’t, and in lieu of them doing that, a carlinkit solves your problem now.

Let me be clear, if I were in your position, I’d have bought a carlinkit ages ago. Hell, I bought one for my wife’s Ioniq because it only has wired CarPlay and I wanted her to have wireless.

You don’t have to do anything. But solutions do exist to solve the problem you have right now, without having to wait for Lucid to solve it for you.

Otherwise, grab a ticket, wait in line, and enjoy the scenery, I guess.

First time I've ever posted anything remotely negative on this forum and I get a lecture about being angry and shaking my fist at the sky. Joe, I'm not mad. But I will say (again) it's disappointing that Lucid has said NOTHING on the issue.

I'll try to keep my posts from being bizarre from now on.

First time I've ever posted anything remotely negative on this forum and I get a lecture about being angry and shaking my fist at the sky. Joe, I'm not mad. But I will say (again) it's disappointing that Lucid has said NOTHING on the issue.

There isn't anything wrong with complaining, but not trying to fix the issue because it's rubbing "salt on a wound" seems weird to me.

And Lucid does tend to take the apple approach of staying silent about future things a bit too far. I agree with that.

Sorry if you felt it was a lecture. That wasn’t the goal.

We are all disappointed alongside you. If this were a picket line, I’d pick up a sign.

But it isn’t, and saying that “Proposing a third party solution is like rubbing salt in a wound” is antithetical to the literal purpose of why we are here at all.

The goal here is to help owners solve problems. That’s what we’re trying to do.

That doesn’t mean we don’t commiserate with owners who have the problem.

I know that sometimes people just want to be heard, and that’s fine. But certainly, handing you a bandaid when you got cut isn’t “salt in the wound,” I’d hope.

Sorry if you felt it was a lecture. That wasn’t the goal.

We are all disappointed alongside you. If this were a picket line, I’d pick up a sign.

But it isn’t, and saying that “Proposing a third party solution is like rubbing salt in a wound” is antithetical to the literal purpose of why we are here at all.

The goal here is to help owners solve problems. That’s what we’re trying to do.

That doesn’t mean we don’t commiserate with owners who have the problem.

I know that sometimes people just want to be heard, and that’s fine. But certainly, handing you a bandaid when you got cut isn’t “salt in the wound,” I’d hope.
Fair. Perhaps poor choice of words on my part. A forum should be a place where people go for help.

I'll be clear, though, I'm not personally against the proposed solution. I've looked at it as an alternative (and I continue to hope to hear some guidance from Lucid about their intentions before I pull the trigger). I just know as soon as I purchase one, Lucid will release their AA interface. Damn, maybe I should fall on the sword for everyone else and just do it! 😆

But based on comments I read from others, I suspect some are salty and I personally recognize their frustration.

i bought a dashcam because Lucid doesn't come with one. Lucid never promised it so i don't mind. i bought a spare tire because Lucid doesn't come with one and they never promised one. I'm not buying a third party no-name brand hardware as an interim solution while i wait for Android Auto. This is something Lucid promised when i placed my order for the car. i understand how they had to prioritize CarPlay and i have no complaints about it. it's not a deal breaker for me because i still love this car but it's a bit infuriating when people constantly tell us to buy third party solutions. this is akin to Tesla fanboys who keep recommending third party solutions for their shortcomings (many years ago).

maybe admins can build an Ignore thread feature so people complaining about us complaining can ignore this thread and stop complaining :)

Actually, there is a "ignore" thread option, you can unwatch it at the top.
I think on some forums there's an option to hide a thread permanently. My button shows Watch which probably means I'm not watching this thread but I still see it. If you're seeing Unwatch it probably means you're currently watching it.

I'm not buying a third party no-name brand hardware as an interim solution while i wait for Android Auto. This is something Lucid promised when i placed my order for the car. i understand how they had to prioritize CarPlay and i have no complaints about it. it's not a deal breaker for me because i still love this car but it's a bit infuriating when people constantly tell us to buy third party solutions. this is akin to Tesla fanboys who keep recommending third party solutions for their shortcomings (many years ago).
What, exactly, would you like us to do instead, since we’re not Lucid? Hit like on your posts and ignore them?

There’s Twitter for that.

If you do not want help, I’m not sure what you’d like us to do - genuinely.

At present, the only way I am aware of to get Android Auto in the car is to get a carlinkit. Otherwise, wait. Those are the only two options.

You are welcome to choose either, and we have no skin in the game either way.

What, exactly, would you like us to do instead, since we’re not Lucid? Hit like on your posts and ignore them?

There’s Twitter for that.

If you do not want help, I’m not sure what you’d like us to do - genuinely.

At present, the only way I am aware of to get Android Auto in the car is to get a carlinkit. Otherwise, wait. Those are the only two options.

You are welcome to choose either, and we have no skin in the game either way.
You're not Lucid so you are not expected to do anything. I'm sure Lucid follows this forum and having them see users' disappointment with lack of AA may help them prioritize things. At least that's how I take this. You can't stop people from complaining about things that's important to them and at the same time I can't expect people to not offer third party solutions in response. I get that as well. Ignoring a thread will at least solve one group's problem.

Oh i did provide them feedback about this so they know.

Can folks using Carlinkit share a video/images of how the screen looks on their Lucid? And share the cons please?
- Reliable consistent connection every time you get into your vehicle?
- Any AA menu/display not showing up? Hidden due to Lucid panel layout?
- Latency from the time you initiate a command to execution?
- Split screen? How good is it?

TIA
M
P.S: Goog-ncle did not result in any images/videos. Hence the ask here.

Back