A Total Eclipse from the Car!!!! (New England Spring Lucid Rally)

I’d been wondering about post-eclipse traffic …

cha
Yeah, that's a bummer. That's why I plan to go up to VT.... nearly 100% chance of rain = no traffic.

If you are near an interstate between the lines, there is no chance you will get home before 10th April.
1711199787382.png

1711200154841.jpeg
1711200181434.jpeg
1711200554085.png

Bring a tent / befriend Justice Thomas.

I'm hoping that some of the back roads that parallel the Spaulding Tpke in NH will get me home... as well as a nice stop for dinner or a break somewhere.

Been plotting out the trip N. from Philly. Turns out the fastest trip to Totality is due North, to

Watertown, NY. ~305 mi
Rochester, NY ~322 mi
Buffalo, NY ~356 mi.
Burlington, VT. ~365 mi
Plattsburgh, NY ~377 mi.
Niagara Falls, NY ~397 mi
Erie, PA ~ 401 mi.

Uvalde, TX ~1833 mi.

Worst case scenario, we can sack out at my condo in Stowe for an evening. It'll be crowded. Might want to pack a sleeping bag just in case.

Burlington VT is expecting 35K to 50K visitors based on hotel reservations and airport data, so should double the population of Burlington.

Seems like it will not just be tough to get in and out but also to find some place to watch.

Yes, Newton Free Library. When's the earliest you could be there? The more I read about eclipse traffic, the more I'm thinking a stupidly early start is best. Maybe 6 or 7 am.

Yes, Newton Free Library. When's the earliest you could be there? The more I read about eclipse traffic, the more I'm thinking a stupidly early start is best. Maybe 6 or 7 am.
Any time fine with me as I leave close to the library. You can pick a time. Any idea of the number of people going?

I’m post call that day so likely can’t even get on the road until 7:30-8. ABRP Estimates I’d get to VT around 12pm, but I’d stop to charge in Lebanon NH so that I’d arrive in Stowe with decent SOC %, probably 1pm. Where should I meet you @Dortreo ?

Hello New England Lucid-ites: The total eclipse is one week away!

The good news:
  • As of today, it looks like it'll be (mostly) sunny in Stowe, VT.
  • We'll have two telescopes. I have a few extra pairs of eclipse glasses (the cheap kind) as well.
The bad news:
So, here's what I'm proposing...
  • First, if you're not @Bunnylebowski or @dsherris and would like to join us in Stowe, VT to see the eclipse, please send me a PM so I can tell you where to meet. I have a condo there where you can rest and replenish. It's cozy but comfortable.
  • If you're leaving from the Boston area, I plan to depart from the vicinity of the Newton Free Library by 6 am at the latest.
  • Consider carpooling. (I realize it defeats the purpose of a car rally...)
  • Fast charge whenever and wherever you're able on the way there and potentially on the way back. There's only one fast charger and several level 2 chargers in Stowe.
  • Plan on staying in Stowe for dinner before hitting the road for the return trip.
  • Bring a sleeping bag and some essentials in case an overnight stay becomes necessary.

I checked out the area in Colebrook/Stewartstown NH (@115 miles from home), where there should be at least 3 minutes of Totality. I was pleasantly surprised to find a L2 ChargePoint and EV Connect in Gorham/Berlin that were working, and there was an EV Connect compatible DCFC 150 kW CCS at the LaPerla IGA on Rte 3 in Colebrook, so there IS a working charger about 10 miles from the Canadian border! Although the EV Connect app didn't work, I could swipe my credit card ($0.40/kW) and got about 75 kW at 67%. battery. I went up Rte 16, Rte 2 and Rte 3. That was much better than I expected in the hinterlands. Many of the towns are putting "no parking" along the sides of the main roads, but they are setting up public parking areas in/near many of the towns. and porta potties throughout. The locals were very nice, but dreading next week. For a total roundtrip of 321 miles (took I-93 home and a couple detours), I ended up using 72% of the battery (75 kW) with an efficiency of 4.3. It was sunny, no tough wind, some hills, temps around 50 degrees. I hope everyone has a great time in VT, and don't forget your glasses! (I've got a couple alternate routes to get home if the main roads are too bad, but hey...)

Well unfortunately I’m working but I’ll see a partial eclipse here in the Hudson valley. I’ll catch the next one in 2044

Looks like you folk picked the better option. I already booked a room in Binghamton, NY (half way) and at a small-town Opera House between Rochester and Buffalo, where it's now forecast to be 65% cloudy. Burlington VT now has the best skies, albeit still cloudy by eclipse time. Gotta love the irony: Burlington VT has better weather than nearby cities. Burnie must be proud. It's one of three sunny days / year in that town.

Anyway help me pick the correct beach chair for the event:
PXL_20240403_144310612.jpg

I figure the one on the right will keep me dry...the one on the left is good for watching bikinis, and the one in the middle holds the Heady Topper.
1712156574431.jpeg

It's looking up in NH also... fewer clouds. They're getting about 6" less snow than we're expecting at home....

1712184314565.png

Back