A Total Eclipse from the Car!!!! (New England Spring Lucid Rally)

1709687650370.jpeg

LOL! You must be good then.

I've already talked everyone I see into going to Cleveland or Erie or Rochester or Buffalo or Watertown. I know people who have lived in Montpelier, VT their entire lives and never seen the sun.,
I am afraid to cross the Mason Dixon or go East of Pittsburgh, unless I'm going all the way to Chicago or Denver. So I'm resigned to not seeing the un-obscured (90+% chance of clouds in NE) total eclipse of the sun in my lifetime, but I'm gonna for sure shroom somewhere with my Aquarian sisters and brothers. I shall be watching this gathering... would be a once-in-a-lifetime Lucid Dream. Let us not slight this astronomical moment.

would consider flying to Texas, but Taylor's jet is unavailable that day.

(Turn around)
Every now and then I feel the excitement rising
As I drive my Lucid to the eclipse's ground
(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit tired
Of the silence in my car, not a sound
(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit nervous
That the turtle's going to show
(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
That the charging station's ports are all occupied

(Turn around, bright eyes)
Every now and then I find a charge

(Turn around)
Every now and then I feel the excitement rising
As I drive my Lucid to the eclipse's ground
(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit tired
Of the silence in my car, not a sound
(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit nervous
That the turtle's going to show
(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
That the charging station's ports are all occupied

As many of you know, there will be a total eclipse on Monday April 8 passing from Austin, TX up toward Burlington, VT. It'll start around 2:14 pm in Burlington and end by 4:37 pm. We're proposing that we drive our Lucids from the Boston suburbs to Burlington early Monday morning to get comfortably situated for the eclipse that afternoon. Let me know if you're interested and would like to drive together or just meet up in Burlington. Hopefully the weather cooperates...

As many of you know, there will be a total eclipse on Monday April 8 passing from Austin, TX up toward Burlington, VT. It'll start around 2:14 pm in Burlington and end by 4:37 pm. We're proposing that we drive our Lucids from the Boston suburbs to Burlington early Monday morning to get comfortably situated for the eclipse that afternoon. Let me know if you're interested and would like to drive together or just meet up in Burlington. Hopefully the weather cooperates...
What's the final plan at this point?

What's the final plan at this point?

Hi everyone, the final plans haven’t been completely set yet, but here’s where things stand.

We have two options for eclipse viewing: Burlington or Stowe. For both options, we would plan to leave before 8 am from Newton, MA to arrive in VT by noon-ish. My friend will be bringing a telescope with the ability to project to an iPad so we can all watch the eclipse on a larger screen.

Here’s my current take on the two destinations:

Burlington
* Our destination in Burlington would be the ChargePoint chargers at Hula (50 Lakeside Dr., Burlington). There are 10+ level 2 chargers available there to charge the car while we wait. However, it’s unclear if they’ll be readily available that day as Burlington is gearing up for mega-crowds and parking lot access may be restricted.
* We would set up the telescope probably along the bike path on Lake Champlain for a lovely view of the eclipse against the mountains and lake

Stowe
* Our destination in Stowe would be my condo. A key advantage is that we’ll have a place to kick back while waiting for the eclipse to occur.
* We’d likely try to take in the eclipse from the soccer fields behind the elementary school across the street from my condo or from the rec path and fields in Stowe. The backdrop would be the mountains surrounding Stowe.
* The key disadvantage is that there are fewer chargers in town, but there are still a decent number of them. We may need to be creative to make sure we can all plug in to charge up.

I’m leaning toward heading to Stowe as just having facilities and a place to kick back would be pretty nice. It may get a bit crowded but I think it’ll be manageable. What are your thoughts?

Just a few notes:

* Per USA Today, the chance of clear skies is 47.5% in Burlington and 52.5% in Stowe.
* Stowe is a little further from the totality path so only gets 2:53 of totality whereas Burlington gets 3:19. (St. Albans, VT will get 3:35!)
* Stowe has Heady Topper.

Hi everyone, the final plans haven’t been completely set yet, but here’s where things stand.

We have two options for eclipse viewing: Burlington or Stowe. For both options, we would plan to leave before 8 am from Newton, MA to arrive in VT by noon-ish. My friend will be bringing a telescope with the ability to project to an iPad so we can all watch the eclipse on a larger screen.

Here’s my current take on the two destinations:

Burlington
* Our destination in Burlington would be the ChargePoint chargers at Hula (50 Lakeside Dr., Burlington). There are 10+ level 2 chargers available there to charge the car while we wait. However, it’s unclear if they’ll be readily available that day as Burlington is gearing up for mega-crowds and parking lot access may be restricted.
* We would set up the telescope probably along the bike path on Lake Champlain for a lovely view of the eclipse against the mountains and lake

Stowe
* Our destination in Stowe would be my condo. A key advantage is that we’ll have a place to kick back while waiting for the eclipse to occur.
* We’d likely try to take in the eclipse from the soccer fields behind the elementary school across the street from my condo or from the rec path and fields in Stowe. The backdrop would be the mountains surrounding Stowe.
* The key disadvantage is that there are fewer chargers in town, but there are still a decent number of them. We may need to be creative to make sure we can all plug in to charge up.

I’m leaning toward heading to Stowe as just having facilities and a place to kick back would be pretty nice. It may get a bit crowded but I think it’ll be manageable. What are your thoughts?
Stowe seems best. For charging, perhaps the way to go is to charge say midway on the way up and down.

If anyone needs a top-up on their way home I have a 40A J1772 in Moultonborough, NH. Not exactly DCFC speeds but if the weather's good a bunch of us will be grilling, so you're welcome to grab a burger while you charge.

Has anyone yet put a route in place?

The route is pretty straightforward and a great drive. We’ll be starting essentially from the Newton Free Library at 330 Homer St. driving up to Stowe Elementary School. It’s 210 miles and easily done without re-charging. Google Maps route is here. I love the idea of stopping by Moultonborough to see @Spin Doctor.

There are several fast chargers along the way, including the opportunity to get frustrated at the EA chargers in Lebanon, NH. (I haven’t used them in a while, so maybe they’re better? They’re often all occupied.) There are several Flo and ChargePoint Level 3 chargers along the way, too, once you hit White RIver Junction/Lebanon. Depending upon time and availability, we can charge up either on the way to or on the way back.

Please confirm that you’ll be going, and I’ll PM you my contact details and exact addresses and timings.

The route is pretty straightforward and a great drive. We’ll be starting essentially from the Newton Free Library at 330 Homer St. driving up to Stowe Elementary School. It’s 210 miles and easily done without re-charging. Google Maps route is here. I love the idea of stopping by Moultonborough to see @Spin Doctor.

There are several fast chargers along the way, including the opportunity to get frustrated at the EA chargers in Lebanon, NH. (I haven’t used them in a while, so maybe they’re better? They’re often all occupied.) There are several Flo and ChargePoint Level 3 chargers along the way, too, once you hit White RIver Junction/Lebanon. Depending upon time and availability, we can charge up either on the way to or on the way back.

Please confirm that you’ll be going, and I’ll PM you my contact details and exact addresses and timings.
Plan on coming

I already have plans to stay with friends in Tunbridge VT, and I think another Mass friend with a Lucid (not on this forum) will be joining us. Tunbridge is a little south of the path of totality; our host with local knowledge will recommend a place to watch between their home and Burlington. So long way to say there will be more Lucids in the area, but I probably won't see you guys.

I already have plans to stay with friends in Tunbridge VT, and I think another Mass friend with a Lucid (not on this forum) will be joining us. Tunbridge is a little south of the path of totality; our host with local knowledge will recommend a place to watch between their home and Burlington. So long way to say there will be more Lucids in the area, but I probably won't see you guys.
Sorry we will miss you this time!

Back