A question on the sensitivity of the parking sensors

Lucken

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Pure, BMW i4
Referral Code
97KPWDUB
The Lucid is a relatively large car and my 2 car garage is a decent size, but not overly large. I did have a Model S, so I know that size car can fit fine and the Lucid is the same length.

My concern centers around the parking sensors and how sensitive they are as they detect walls & objects. Does the system have a tendency to get upset enough so as to apply the brakes and make pulling in a hassle? There are certain times of day when the sun is at the right (wrong) angle, that when I back out my i4 it will sometimes detect a speed bump within our community as an obstacle, and can slam on the brakes. A bit disconcerting.

Go very slow and you should be fine. By slow, I mean VERY slow.

Reactions: DJL
Suspended animation slow? ;)
Pretty much. Lol! I think somewhere down the line an OTA adjusted the sensitivity of the sensors as I never had issues when I first got the car. Now, if I don't creep past objects like the entrance, RO tanks, etc. the things just squeals and slams the brakes on. When you see the word "stop" it's usually the indicator to slow things down a lot otherwise expect the brakes to be put on for you

main-qimg-40e71db5386f79cb680cccd22668a38e-3731069624.jpeg

I haven't had any problems with parking sensors trying to stop the car in its somewhat tight space, but I do go slow to make sure I don't pull off a side mirror on the garage door casing. It did slam on the brakes once as I was backing out when it saw my wife walking around behind the car.

I have no problems with the parking sensors when parking; in fact, they're super accurate, only 3 inches off from reality (on the safer side).

It will *occasionally* brake hard if I am reversing up my driveway too fast, as I'm on a hill and when it flattens out it gets confused; but that's only if I'm speeding outta there. If I take it slow, it usually doesn't even register.

Back