A few questions coming from Tesla

Had lots of difficulty using HA initially. The toggle between it and ACC was incomprehensible to me (long press, short press? ). One time early on it took an exit off the turnpike for me. I tried to disengage but the display between them is behind the top of the steering wheel where I can't see it without ducking my head. I love ACC but could not get into it, it kept coming up HA and I was afraid of HA. Turns out I was not waiting for it to engage -- there is quite a delay after you press the button before it appears. I've learned how to button things on the Lucid { "...expect the seven second delay we use" -- donald fagan the night fly.} I can consistently get into ACC now and love it. I'm learning that the digital buttons have delayed action, you have to press and have faith that eventually something will happen. Same issue with backing out of garage and trying to turn off the camera to get to the garage door menu, then when I press the home-link I get the home screen instead. Almost always takes me 4 or five button presses to get the garage door to close...again and sometimes more, I'm just not waiting long enough between presses I guess. It's a pain though...hate to put the garage door remote on my visor = old school, but it's a one ping thing for me. I don't trust the cameras either but I"m so old I can no longer turn my head around to look, it being futile because the visibility is poor anyway. Absolutely love the cameras for parking though. Best I've ever seen.

back to HA

I'm so impatient I was pressing and pressing again when nothing happened, and thus disengaging. Since I learned this I've been using HA a bit and agree with above = it's pretty cool what it does, but still, I'm a pilot and I like to steer my own course. If you do manage to select it on purpose, and trust it ( I will never trust, or believe in self-driving vehicles ), it does seem to center in the lane, but constantly tells me to put my hands on the wheel when they are. I don't know why it chose to move into the exit lane that time, but I will never trust it. Maybe I need to give it another chance. Would be nice if I could see where it appears on the display. You guys must be very short or have the seat all the way back and on the floor, and the steering wheel as high as it goes. I'm 5-7. How can you drive like that? Is this the real reason Elon chose a Joke steering wheel; so he could see the dash display?

but constantly tells me to put my hands on the wheel when they are
The wheel is torque-sensing; you need to occasionally jiggle it or apply a bit of pressure. When it tells you to put your hands on the wheel, just give it a tiny movement. Certain positions of holding the wheel will make it know you're there without moving. Play around a bit. For me, I rest my left elbow on the windowsill and interlock 2-3 fingers around the left side of the steering wheel.

have the seat all the way back and on the floor
Yup, all the way to the floor, but not all the way back. Steering wheel also pulled all the way out, though not at it's highest setting; all the way out because of the elbow-on-windowsill thing.

Is this the real reason Elon chose a Joke steering wheel; so he could see the dash display?
Yup; this is actually his stated reason for why he wanted the yoke. They just didn't think it through. At surface level? Great idea.

My HA has started to drift out of it's lane a couple of times. I have really high confidence in my Tesla's auto pilot and FSD BETA but not so much yet on the Lucid. But I knew this point in. Tesla is 10 years ahead and I'm just hopeful that the updates will keep coming.

My HA has started to drift out of it's lane a couple of times. I have really high confidence in my Tesla's auto pilot and FSD BETA but not so much yet on the Lucid. But I knew this point in. Tesla is 10 years ahead and I'm just hopeful that the updates will keep coming.
Have service check your alignment. Mine never drifts.

Mine will sometimes drift when HOV lane ends and dotted lines begin, and then grabs back on after a few seconds. Maybe it doesn't recognize the double white line turning into a single. But with Utah, we have tons of turns where I get "limited HA" warning often

Also the car will drift a bit when an exit comes and the exit lane Is super wide and merges into one. Those are my only 2 experiences with drift

Mine will sometimes drift when HOV lane ends and dotted lines begin, and then grabs back on after a few seconds. Maybe it doesn't recognize the double white line turning into a single. But with Utah, we have tons of turns where I get "limited HA" warning often

Also the car will drift a bit when an exit comes and the exit lane Is super wide and merges into one. Those are my only 2 experiences with drift
Those are more like pulls in my experience.
What I experienced is while using HA going about 70 around a turn it felt like the car was drifting into the next lane. Maybe it wouldn't have but it sure felt like it so I took control.

What is interesting is everyone has their own personal experiences... so for those saying it is better than Tesla. I just can't see that. But I bought the car knowing it wasn't going to be better for a few years. Hopefully, they will get there.

I've seen this, too. Today, the highway I was on in Montana had a left lane where every so often you could pull off to the left and turn left. (Never seen that anywhere else.) That confused the system a bit, sending the car slightly over to the left for a second before coming back to center. Usually, this is more likely to happen in the right lane when there's an entrance or exit.

That, and particularly sharp turns are the two big things that seem to trip up HA a bit. Not a huge deal to me, as I always have my hands on the wheel, anyway. And when I see a situation approaching where it might get confused, I take over for a few seconds.

Those are more like pulls in my experience.
What I experienced is while using HA going about 70 around a turn it felt like the car was drifting into the next lane. Maybe it wouldn't have but it sure felt like it so I took control.

What is interesting is everyone has their own personal experiences... so for those saying it is better than Tesla. I just can't see that. But I bought the car knowing it wasn't going to be better for a few years. Hopefully, they will get there.
There's one fundamental and critical way my Lucid is 100% better than my Tesla ever could be: It has never once Phantom Braked on me.

My Tesla could not go three miles without slamming the brakes. Hard. Especially on two-lane roads. Happened so often I had to stop using FSD / Autopilot altogether on the open road. Rendered what was then a $12k package utterly useless. Also rendered my car utterly useless for long road trips.

The city-street driving was also abysmal. Actively tried to kill me and others around me. But Lucid doesn't even claim to be able to do that, so there's no comparison to be made there.

I have a friend with a Y who showed me some of the recent improvements to city driving, and I was a bit more impressed. It's come a long way just in the past four or five months. But it's still not good.

The way I think about it is the Tesla had WAY more features on paper, but in practice I never trusted it at all. I was always on edge, waiting for it to screw up. My Lucid actually accomplishes what an ADAS system is supposed to accomplish: It takes some of the anxiety and fatigue of driving on longer trips away. The Tesla was an anxious teenager who wanted to prove to me it could drive all by itself, when it most certainly was not ready. The Lucid is more like a helping hand, making my life slightly easier, but never thinking for a moment that it knows better than I do.

There's one fundamental and critical way my Lucid is 100% better than my Tesla ever could be: It has never once Phantom Braked on me.

My Tesla could not go three miles without slamming the brakes. Hard. Especially on two-lane roads. Happened so often I had to stop using FSD / Autopilot altogether on the open road. Rendered what was then a $12k package utterly useless. Also rendered my car utterly useless for long road trips.

The city-street driving was also abysmal. Actively tried to kill me and others around me. But Lucid doesn't even claim to be able to do that, so there's no comparison to be made there.

I have a friend with a Y who showed me some of the recent improvements to city driving, and I was a bit more impressed. It's come a long way just in the past four or five months. But it's still not good.

The way I think about it is the Tesla had WAY more features on paper, but in practice I never trusted it at all. I was always on edge, waiting for it to screw up. My Lucid actually accomplishes what an ADAS system is supposed to accomplish: It takes some of the anxiety and fatigue of driving on longer trips away. The Tesla was an anxious teenager who wanted to prove to me it could drive all by itself, when it most certainly was not ready. The Lucid is more like a helping hand, making my life slightly easier, but never thinking for a moment that it knows better than I do.
That's strange. I use fsd beta on city streets and highway and never have phantom braking. There was one freeway where I'd be going 70 and it would drop to 50 in the same spot for a while. Idk what sign it thought it saw but I never saw one.

My sister's s580 would phantom brake like you're talking about. she got out of that car in less than a year. I have a lot of confidence in my Tesla but I have heard of the braking I just never experienced it.

Back