• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

A couple of questions on the Air versus model S.

HRoussel

Cars
Tesla M3P
Hello,

I have a reservation on a Air Touring. My current car is a relatively old 2017 Model S.

Although I found lots of info/video on the Air I have a couple of questions especially for current Air owners
who have experienced a Tesla in the past:

- After a few months and/or thousand miles, are there any creaks/noise appearing that would annoy you or even
require a visit to the service center?

- Likewise any issues with abnormal vibrations in the drivetrain, at steady speed or in hard acceleration?

- How is the noise level compared to a model S? I'm especially interested in the Air on 19" wheels.

- How do the regen modes compare with a model S?

- Is the Air prone to overheating whe driven hard? I wonder if anyone has done a test like was done with the Taycan,
doing 0-200km/h like 10 times (or was it 30?) with little to no degradation in performance.

- What about overheating on regen? I have encountered that in my S when going down from a mountain.

- How consistent is the performance when going to low SoC? I know the refresh model S does very well. Mine
degrades noticeably at 50% and below.

- Has anyone considered adding a hitch (custom job obviously) and is it feasible? The idea being to put a bike rack
and carry up to 4 bikes.

Thanks.

Hello,

I have a reservation on a Air Touring. My current car is a relatively old 2017 Model S.

Although I found lots of info/video on the Air I have a couple of questions especially for current Air owners
who have experienced a Tesla in the past:

- After a few months and/or thousand miles, are there any creaks/noise appearing that would annoy you or even

- Likewise any issues with abnormal vibrations in the drivetrain, at steady speed or in hard acceleration?

- How is the noise level compared to a model S? I'm especially interested in the Air on 19" wheels.

- Is the Air prone to overheating whe driven hard? I wonder if anyone has done a test like was done with the Taycan,
doing 0-200km/h like 10 times (or was it 30?) with little to no degradation in performance.

- What about overheating on regen? I have encountered that in my S when going down from a mountain.

- How consistent is the performance when going to low SoC? I know the refresh model S does very well. Mine
degrades noticeably at 50% and below.

- Has anyone considered adding a hitch (custom job obviously) and is it feasible? The idea being to put a bike rack
and carry up to 4 bikes.

Thanks.
I’ll take a shot an most of these. I have a Lucid Grand Touring (19”)and a 2016 Model S so pretty close. With the Lucid, I’ve had no creaks, noises or vibrations. It’s quieter than the Model S, although I’d never say the S was loud other than wind noise. At the aggressive setting, the Lucid’s regen is more intense which I like much better. No overheating driving hard or during regen. Low SoC seems to be fine but haven’t had it go low too often. I also didn’t have a problem with this with my Tesla. I’ve never tried a hitch on either. They are both great cars but in the end no comparison - the Lucid is more luxurious, more fun, more breathtaking etc. And service is outstanding. Took my Tesla in for memory board replacement under warranty and some other stuff today, after waiting for 2 months for an appointment. At 5pm today, I sent a message (phone communication near impossible) to confirm I would pick up shortly. Got a note back, sorry, maybe Monday at the earliest. Thankfully I asked. Finally found someone on the phone who said sorry, we never even started your car. But we’ll give you a $200 credit for Uber. Tesla is now a mass market car. I wouldn’t buy another S.

Question: The lower pilot panel shows the tire pressure on each wheel. Is it possible to bring that tire info up to the upper panel?

Tesla is now a mass market car. I wouldn’t buy another S
This. Right here. You’ve just articulated what’s been rattling around in my mind for quite some time now, but I couldn’t come up with a reason. Thank you for putting it so simply.

I’m a three-Tesla buyer. I won’t be buying a fourth. Not anymore.

Last edited:
I've had an annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat. Lucid came out to inspect but of course we went for a drive and it didn't happen. It comes and goes which makes it harder to identify and went away for a few days and has come back again so need to figure out where it is coming from as it's fricken annoying apart from that i'm happy with the car.

Some more Air questions, focused on everyday practical use. I realize some of these may be available now or via future OTA and some are more hardware / ergonomic questions:

1. Where specifically do you put / rest your phone when driving? Does it wirelessly charge? Do you see your phone screen when it is resting?

2. What native apps does Lucid have, especially for music and nav? If either or both of Spotify and Sirius XM aren't native, how do you use either of them, in terms of connection and interface?

3. How deep are the cupholders? Are they adjustable or fixed diameter? If you have a bottle or can in the cupholder, are you then somehow blocked from accessing any other bins, functions, etc. (e.g., does a bottle prevent the lower foldaway screen from opening or closing)?

4. Do the second row seats split for folding one or both sides (50/50, 60/40, whichever)? Are they electric fold-down and if so, where are the switches / buttons for folding down or up?

5. Is there a pass-through from the trunk into the cabin? If so, approx dimensions of the pass-through opening?

6. What must you have on your person for the proximity-sensor to open doors for you when approaching? Just your phone? A key fob (and its approx size?) or a "credit card" sized/shaped key?

7. What functionality does the app enable? In particular, on / off / adjusting climate control? On/off heated or cooling seats? Dog mode? Scheduled pre-conditioning of battery? Scheduled climate control?

8. Is there a "dog mode" (primary screen or app) to keep climate at a proper temp for a pet while owner is away from the vehicle (such as doing an errand but wanting to keep dog in the car)?

9. Without extreme / awkward seat and steering wheel adjustment, can you see the entire screen in front of driver or does steering wheel block some of it (just a bit, a lot, etc.?)

10. Is there an HUD for driver? If so, is it adjustable in terms of up or down windshield? Adjustable brightness? Configurable and if so, what can you configure?

11. Practically speaking, what's the benefit of the lower display screen? Are some functions unique to the lower screen and not avail on upper screen and vice-versa? Or can the functions be user-adjusted to appear on one or the other or both screens?

Thank you ahead of time for any replies... I realize there's quite a list of questions so any answers appreciated for sure!

Last edited:
1. Where specifically do you put / rest your phone when driving? Does it wirelessly charge? Do you see your phone screen when it is resting?
In the center console. You slide your phone into a dual holder but only the drivers side wirelessly charges. You are able to look down and see your screen but would need to take it out of the holder should you wish to read info

2. What native apps does Lucid have, especially for music and nav? If either or both of Spotify and Sirius XM aren't native, how do you use either of them, in terms of connection and interface?
Navigation is built in and I believe uses Here Maps but no satellite imagery is available. Apps are Tidal, Spotify, TuneIn & iHeart Radio
4. Do the second row seats split for folding one or both sides (50/50, 60/40, whichever)?
Yes, 60/40
5. Is there a pass-through from the trunk into the cabin? If so, approx dimensions of the pass-through opening?
There is, it's relatively small but haven't measured it
6. What must you have on your person for the proximity-sensor to open doors for you when approaching? Just your phone? A key fob (and its approx size?) or a "credit card" sized/shaped key?
You can use just fob, phone or keycard. using the keycard only will require you to enter a PIN to drive but all can be used separately. I use phone and have keycard in my wallet as a backup in case it phone dies etc.
8. Is there a "dog mode" (primary screen or app) to keep climate at a proper temp for a pet while owner is away from the vehicle (such as doing an errand but wanting to keep dog in the car)?
No. You can set the climate control from your phone but only for a set time

From just a pure aesthetic, I think the model S looks better overall. Lucid looks very Lincoln- ish
Jmo

HC_79, thank you for the helpful answers. Regarding #8 (dog mode), I believe your answer is effectively saying the Lucid does the same as what Tesla dog mode does, which is to keep the car climate control running when you are out of the car. Is that correct? And for how long can you set the climate control to run? The good thing about true dog mode is the display screen stays on and shows a big dog on the screen with the words something like "my owner is away but I'm ok! the climate control in here is on and set to X degrees".

HC_79, thank you for the helpful answers. Regarding #8 (dog mode), I believe your answer is effectively saying the Lucid does the same as what Tesla dog mode does, which is to keep the car climate control running when you are out of the car. Is that correct? And for how long can you set the climate control to run? The good thing about true dog mode is the display screen stays on and shows a big dog on the screen with the words something like "my owner is away but I'm ok! the climate control in here is on and set to X degrees".
The climate stays on for 30 months, but does not display a dog. A sign might be necessary foe the time being

Some more Air questions, focused on everyday practical use. I realize some of these may be available now or via future OTA and some are more hardware / ergonomic questions:

3. How deep are the cupholders? Are they adjustable or fixed diameter? If you have a bottle or can in the cupholder, are you then somehow blocked from accessing any other bins, functions, etc. (e.g., does a bottle prevent the lower foldaway screen from opening or closing)?
3. They are what I would consider "Standard" If you put a water bottle in there, the water bottle sticks up about 4 inches? It blocks the bottom portion of the screen from being readily accessible, but you can still push the buttons just have to do it around the bottles/cups/watever.

4. Do the second row seats split for folding one or both sides (50/50, 60/40, whichever)? Are they electric fold-down and if so, where are the switches / buttons for folding down or up?

7. What functionality does the app enable? In particular, on / off / adjusting climate control? On/off heated or cooling seats? Dog mode? Scheduled pre-conditioning of battery? Scheduled climate control?
7. Lock/unlock, trunk, frunk, climate control, tire pressure (only after you've been driving), location, destination search and sending to vehicle

9. Without extreme / awkward seat and steering wheel adjustment, can you see the entire screen in front of driver or does steering wheel block some of it (just a bit, a lot, etc.?)

10. Is there an HUD for driver? If so, is it adjustable in terms of up or down windshield? Adjustable brightness? Configurable and if so, what can you configure?

11. Practically speaking, what's the benefit of the lower display screen? Are some functions unique to the lower screen and not avail on upper screen and vice-versa? Or can the functions be user-adjusted to appear on one or the other or both screens?

Thank you ahead of time for any replies... I realize there's quite a list of questions so any answers appreciated for sure!

9. You can see the whole thing, at least from my seating position
10. No HUD
11. It has the rest of the seat positions, extra map for nav, climate controls, mirror/steering wheel controls, car settings, 360 surround view. Some stuff is only available on the pilot panel

We had a 2015 Tesla Model S P90D that we traded for a Model S Plaid last August. We also took delivery on December 31 of a Lucid Air Dream Performance. The Lucid and the Plaid both run on 21" wheels. We have about 5,000 miles on the Plaid and about 4,500 miles on the Air. So I'll take a stab at the questions I can answer from my own experience:

No on both noises and vibrations with the Air. Other than a slight "thunk" when the friction brakes release to engage drive, the Air is smooth as silk and quieter than any Tesla I've been in (which is all their models to date).

The Air is noticeably quieter than the Plaid, with both running the same 21" wheels. It is also considerably quieter than our 2015 Model S that had 19" wheels.

You didn't ask this, but the Air also has a more compliant suspension, coupled with more precise handling than the Plaid, making for both better riding and handling in the Air. Also, the Plaid's front end goes frighteningly light under hard acceleration. You can feel the effects of rear weight shift in the Air under hard acceleration, but the front end stays better planted.

Virtually identical feel between the Air and the Plaid, both of which have true one pedal driving and engage regen upon throttle lift off. The 2015 Model S was not full one-pedal driving, as the car would not come to a complete stop without friction braking.

I should add that the fit and finish of the Lucid as well as its structural solidity are several notches above the Plaid. Interestingly, our 2015 Model S had fewer build quality issues than the Plaid.

I had a 2015 p85d and a 2019 Raven performance so I bracketed your model S. My lucid now rides on 19s after 4 bent rims one tire bubble and two blowouts with 21s. I have nearly 9000 miles on my GT. The regen on high with the air is much stronger than with the Tesla. It will even stop and hold going down steep hills. I will pick up 2-3 miles range going down the mile of hill to my house whereas the Tesla might pick up a mile or stay steady.
The noise level is less air intrusion but more motor whine. I have no creaks or noises develop yet.
No overheating on regen. I did not have that on either Tesla either.
At low SOC there is not nearly the amount of drop off of performance like the teslas
My I phone 13 pro max does not charge unless upside down and out of case in the wireless. holder. It’s useless. I use a cup phone holder with the plug in charge port in the console.
There is a dog mode of sorts, but you have to reup it every half hour via phone app. Very annoying. Strangely Tesla started that way as well. You would think a bunch of Tesla engineers would have skipped over that part of the learning curve
The pass through is around 20 x7 but don’t quote me
The front screen is only minimally blocked by the steering wheel. Good ergonomics.
You can’t use nav and have music on the pilot panel even with 2.0 software from what I ve read. That’s just stupid in my opinion
Hope this helps

The pass through is a bit smaller than I remembered it’s only 6 1/2 by 10, was thinking more of the armrest length

Navigation is built in and I believe uses Here Maps but no satellite imagery is available.
It does have satellite imagery, even in 1.0. You can change this in the nav settings.

You can use just fob, phone or keycard. using the keycard only will require you to enter a PIN to drive but all can be used separately.
You can tap on the roof microphone array to avoid needing a PIN.

There is a dog mode of sorts, but you have to reup it every half hour via phone app.
The one you start from inside the car (cabin temperature hold) lasts 45 min.

Back