5.0 miles/kWh: Say Hello to the World's Most Efficient Car

Until they decide to be upfront with owners about what’s coming down the pipeline then people will make speculation. Could he right, could be wrong but Lucid does nothing to control the narrative.
I can speculate too. I think Lucid has been working on bug fixes and testing out new features so that new bugs are not introduced when new features are released. More importantly making sure that any new ADAS features are reliable and safe for average owners like us.

Trade in your Air if you are wanting or needing the upgrades. Retrofit is unlikely an option with these cars. Not sure if the new hardwares are of any importance if the software is not utilizing it. Don’t think the current Air is even fully utilizing the current hardware. Look at Telsa and when their software will use the new HW5 coming out.

I would pay for better software for our current Air then to pay for better hardware with the same software.
Ehh not that simple for some of us. Lucid doesn’t have an equivalent car to my trim. They killed the one trim that was close to my trim. I’m trying to upgrade a car that’s pretty much a unicorn. Not to mention I’m not asking to retrofit every new feature. Like I’m not here asking for a heat pump, I know that’s just not going to happen but I would love to upgrade my infotainment hardware stack. Hell I even mentioned I would pay for it. Let’s face it, the hardware already shows its age. Pull up the navigation and zoom in or out. Tell me how responsive that screen is. Tell me how quickly it loads the unrendered parts of the map. There’s many examples and the aging hardware is only going to make this worse as time goes on.

Essentially, I’m not looking for everything to be a retrofit but in a world where software is becoming the focus, it would be great to upgrade the hardware running it to make your car feel better. Tesla did this for many early adopters. There were rumors it would be possible (directly from lucid employees during the factory tour). I don’t think it’s absurd to want to upgrade a simple processor instead of throwing the whole car away.

Why? Lucid has done NOTHING to appease owners expectations about what’s coming down the pipeline for the Air.

UX3.0 announced last November. Nothing mentioned on whether the Air will see some variant of it.

Bunch of promises made about DDPro with “in the near future” comment made about features coming over 2 years ago

Until they decide to be upfront with owners about what’s coming down the pipeline then people will make speculation. Could he right, could be wrong but Lucid does nothing to control the narrative.

For each day that passes with what appears to be an extremely slowed down OTA schedule, I’m over giving them the benefit of the doubt at this point.
No UX 3 was ever announced for Air.

I’m sure DD improvements are in the pipeline.
They did announce AA and I hope they will continue to announce upcoming features.

Perhaps you should consider selling? Not trying to be rude here, you just seem very unhappy.

No UX 3 was ever announced for Air.

I’m sure DD improvements are in the pipeline.
They did announce AA and I hope they will continue to announce upcoming features.

Perhaps you should consider selling? Not trying to be rude here, you just seem very unhappy.
I understand his frustrations are a little aggressive. But I do think someone can be both content with most of the car and extremely frustrated with other aspects of the car. I’m definitely in that camp and to be fair I do think his points are valid. We’ve all agreed on those points and I think we all can agree that communication is lacking now. OTAs factually have slowed down. And DD Pro is desperately behind with little updates directed its way in the past 🤷

I know that HC_79's tone could be more diplomatic, but It disappoints me when a common reaction to any criticism of Lucid on this forum is met with disdain. The reality is that I can be both very happy and very unhappy with Lucid at the same time. I can love the car, and be glad I bought it, but at the same time be quite unhappy with the lack of progress on certain deliverables, and quite unhappy with Lucid's general lack of communication. I won't mind if Gravity comes out with a bunch of features that will never make it to the Air, but I will be quite unhappy if basic stuff found on everyday vehicles is never fixed or implemented. And please don't tell me to sell my car for 1/2 what I paid for it and buy another one. I couldn't afford to do that even if I wanted to, and I certainly shouldn't need to in order to get that basic stuff I mentioned, as well as those 'future' deliverables that I paid extra for. I am pro-Lucid, a significant shareholder, happy, and yet far from entirely satisfied.

For what it's worth, I suggest that we take a breath and give Lucid's new VP of global communications a little more time to get up to speed. He got off to a good start with his Android Auto update, and I'm hopeful that there will be similar informational updates forthcoming.

I suppose this efficiency improvement is part software too. If so, hoping those would be pushed to existing models.
Peter Rawlinson mentioned in a recent podcast interview ‘Masters in Business’ w/ Barry Ritholz, the new 5.0 mi/kwh rating was done with some new hardware but also with some software tweaks. Those software tweaks are set to be deployed to the entire fleet to utilize but did not mention how much it would improve all Lucid Air’s.
Link to podcast. I don’t recall when he mentioned the specific point but it was a good episode to listen to.

5 mi/kWh... what an exciting, watershed moment! I remember when it was a big deal that the Prius hit 50MPG. We're almost tripling that now!

Thus far, what I've read didn't say anything about the new battery, other than it's down from 88kWh to 84kWh. The obvious benefit there is more rapid L2 (or L1) charging. But one would expect that Lucid reaped some other benefits from the reduced capacity. Hopefully reduced cost of manufacturing, which helps Lucid in its path to profitability and EVs in general on the path to affordability. Were they able to eliminate a battery module and save 75-ish pounds, and in doing so reduce the environmental impact of creating the battery? Or did they change the chemistry, and did that make the car safer / more tolerant of extreme temperatures / more robust (had to get that in there :) )? Obviously it's a proof point for the industry that yes, you can use smaller batteries and still achieve something amazing. But I'm surprised they're not tooting their horn about what else they were able to accomplish with that reduction.

(BB) "...quite unhappy with the lack of progress on certain deliverables, and quite unhappy with Lucid's general lack of communication."
I'm curious about those certain deliverables -- I expect nothing more from Lucid, my car has already exceeded all of my expectations.
Seriously.
I absolutely do not want any more communications, except maybe "here's the cool new things this software update will now let your car do."

I just had my one-year service yesterday. I seriously could not be happier with this whole experience.
I can't imagine any car or car company doing better -- this year redefined what I can imagine much less expect.
If you're in the Seattle area and have any better manufacturer's experience, eager to hear, DM me for coffee.
(I'll be riding a motorcycle across the Yukon until late next week.)

(BB) "...quite unhappy with the lack of progress on certain deliverables, and quite unhappy with Lucid's general lack of communication."
I'm curious about those certain deliverables -- I expect nothing more from Lucid, my car has already exceeded all of my expectations.
Seriously.
I absolutely do not want any more communications, except maybe "here's the cool new things this software update will now let your car do."

I just had my one-year service yesterday. I seriously could not be happier with this whole experience.
I can't imagine any car or car company doing better -- this year redefined what I can imagine much less expect.
If you're in the Seattle area and have any better manufacturer's experience, eager to hear, DM me for coffee.
(I'll be riding a motorcycle across the Yukon until late next week.)

Thanks for pulling one sentence totally out of context. I am happy to hear that you are totally satisfied, and am not trying to convince you that you should feel otherwise, so we can skip the coffee.

I think the Air hardware is tapped out tbh. Lucid made a bunch of false promises saying the car was “future ready” and what have we gotten? Nothing! Now they’ve upgraded the computers watch the Gravity and new Air get enhancements / improvements and the loyalists will be left in the dust.
This is how all car companies work, if you want the latest and greatest, better to lease. I bet you 5 years from now, Air will get more improvements. Those who bought cars now, will be in our situation.

Thus far, what I've read didn't say anything about the new battery, other than it's down from 88kWh to 84kWh . . . . Were they able to eliminate a battery module and save 75-ish pounds, and in doing so reduce the environmental impact of creating the battery? Or did they change the chemistry, and did that make the car safer / more tolerant of extreme temperatures / more robust (had to get that in there)?

Like most EV makers, Lucid tends to be fairly opaque about its battery modules.

The original battery modules provided ~5 kWh each. There were some chemistry differences between the Samsung cells in the 118-kWh battery pack and the LG Chem cells in the 112- and 92-kWh packs. A Lucid engineer once let slip that the capacity difference between the large Samsung and LG packs -- both with 6600 cells -- was that the Samsung pack did not require an upper buffer due to its better resistance to full charging issues.

The situation has gotten even murkier since. Lucid is sourcing batteries for the Gravity and new Airs from Panasonic, but there is no word on whether they will continue to source from Samsung and LG Chem and, if so, which supplier will be used for which trim, or what the differences will be in cell chemistries. (Panasonic has been rapidly evolving cell chemistry in their 2170 form factor batteries -- the size Lucid uses -- since 2021.) The smaller Lucid pack has been coming down in capacity from 92 to 88 and now to 84 kWh, with no information about how. Those 4-kWh step-downs don't correlate to the average 5-kWh capacity of the original packs, so it doesn't suggest that modules are disappearing with the capacity reductions.

On the other hand, I don't really know what the point of reducing capacity would be if not to reduce cost or weight. In reducing capacity you also reduce range, which is Lucid's biggest claim to fame. And the only way to reduce weight with the battery packs is to reduce the number of modules, the number of cells, the weight of the cells, or some combination of that.

I really wish Lucid would do a new Tech Talk on the cell chemistries of their different batteries and how the packs are evolving. The original Tech Talk was on the battery packs, but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since. Perhaps they don't want to bring attention to how much is happening on the battery cell front -- despite the stalled transition to solid state or other cell technologies -- as it is probably the part of the car that most closely courts obsolescence and makes owners feel their EVs are getting outdated.

Last edited:
I really wish Lucid would do a new Tech Talk on the cell chemistries of their different batteries and how the packs are evolving. The original Tech Talk was on the battery packs, but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since.
I would love to see this.

Like most EV makers, Lucid tends to be fairly opaque about its battery modules.

The original battery modules provided ~5 kWh each. There were some chemistry differences between the Samsung cells in the 118-kWh battery pack and the LG Chem cells in the 112- and 92-kWh packs. A Lucid engineer once let slip that the capacity difference between the large Samsung and LG packs -- both with 6600 cells -- was that the Samsung pack did not require an upper buffer due to its better resistance to full charging issues.

The situation has gotten even murkier since. Lucid is sourcing batteries for the Gravity and new Airs from Panasonic, but there is no word on whether they will continue to source from Samsung and LG Chem and, if so, which supplier will be used for which trim, or what the differences will be in cell chemistries. (Panasonic has been rapidly evolving cell chemistry in their 2170 form factor batteries -- the size Lucid uses -- since 2021.) The smaller Lucid pack has been coming down in capacity from 92 to 88 and now to 84 kWh, with no information about how. Those 4-kWh step-downs don't correlate to the average 5-kWh capacity of the original packs, so it doesn't suggest that modules are disappearing with the capacity reductions.

On the other hand, I don't really know what the point of reducing capacity would be if not to reduce cost or weight. In reducing capacity you also reduce range, which is Lucid's biggest claim to fame. And the only way to reduce weight with the battery packs is to reduce the number of modules, the number of cells, the weight of the cells, or some combination of that.

I really wish Lucid would do a new Tech Talk on the cell chemistries of their different batteries and how the packs are evolving. The original Tech Talk was on the battery packs, but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since. Perhaps they don't want to bring attention to how much is happening on the battery cell front -- despite the stalled transition to solid state or other cell technologies -- as it the probably the part of the car that most closely courts obsolescence and makes owners feel their EVs are getting outdated.

Wow, this is WAY more complex than I thought. I had just figured that Lucid was fulfilling two objectives. First, and most importantly, to hit the 5 mile/kWh holy grail, and second, reducing the battery size to not have the Pure RWD's range greater than the higher-level 2024 trims... with the possibility that the weight reduction of those few batteries also helped them get to the 5 miles/kWh in the first place. Now I hear that the reduction of battery capacity is chemistry-related. It's fortunate that automotive technology was not left up to me, or we'd still be riding horses.

I would have taken ANY DAY the same hardware, but with software improvements. That's where the problem is. 5 m/kWh? Sounds great. What about door handles that always work? Crazy feature, I know :)
Okay screw this, I'm making a new Godwin's law.

Xponents' law: "As an online discussion on the 'Lucid Owners Forum' grows longer, the probability of a comparison including a bug or issue in the car approaches 1."

Mods, can this please be added to the guidelines? Seems 100 percent accurate to me... 🤣

Okay screw this, I'm making a new Godwin's law.

Xponents' law: "As an online discussion on the 'Lucid Owners Forum' grows longer, the probability of a comparison including a bug or issue in the car approaches 1."

Mods, can this please be added to the guidelines? Seems 100 percent accurate to me... 🤣
Please allow me some time to become desensitized to all the small, but annoying, issues I've already experienced in my 4 days of ownership. Maybe for you this is normal, for me it isn't, never been in this situation before. And I even had French cars, if you can believe it! :)

Please allow me some time to become desensitized to all the small, but annoying, issues I've already experienced in my 4 days of ownership. Maybe for you this is normal, for me it isn't, never been in this situation before. And I even had French cars, if you can believe it! :)
Believe me, I get it, I was half joking! It definitely can get annoying, but for a good amount of these bugs, a hardware fix is all that is needed. There are many people on here that have door handles which work perfectly, and there are also some that have it not work (like you). Perhaps mention the issue at your next service visit or contact them now?

Excepting your Palisade, every one of your other cars seems terribly unreliable... although the French cars likely take the cake. 🤣

Back