4 Rusted Rotors

Hi, I knew I would find a thread in here :) I made the mistake of trying to clean the rust myself using rsut remover gel without removing the wheels and now it looks worse than with the rust. Is my only option to remove the wheels to clean and if so, how do I even do that...I doubt a typical jack will do the trick to lift the car up.
Any suggestion welcome

Hi, I knew I would find a thread in here :) I made the mistake of trying to clean the rust myself using rsut remover gel without removing the wheels and now it looks worse than with the rust. Is my only option to remove the wheels to clean and if so, how do I even do that...I doubt a typical jack will do the trick to lift the car up.
Any suggestion welcome
Not sure if this helps but i reported my “rusted rotor caps” concern along woth other warranty repair issues. My service adviser offered complementary scrubbing and refinishing of the rotors. My car is due back any day now after 3 weeks in service.

Meanwhile, Ive purchased “Hyde's Serum Rustopper” as the final dressing after my wheel cleaning SOP. So after using rust get, BrakeBuster, scrubbing and cleaning with barrel brush and wheel mit to get completely inside, I use my blower and microfiber towels to completely dry everything off. Then I will spray Rustopper. I’ll certainly post to let you all know how this works out.

Cleaning my wheels alone now takes 1 hour! 😎

Not sure if this helps but i reported my “rusted rotor caps” concern along woth other warranty repair issues. My service adviser offered complementary scrubbing and refinishing of the rotors. My car is due back any day now after 3 weeks in service.

Three weeks in service??!! Whar else did you have done?

Three weeks in service??!! Whar else did you have done?
The leather coverings on both front seats were defective so they had to be replaced. I have a recurring airbag warning alert. Also it turns out my AC charger (within the Wunderbox) never worked and I wound up getting stranded in Pahrump, NV for 8 hours (but that’s a whole different story). I only ever charged via Electrify America (DC fast charging) so it was a complete surprise… plus some other minor glitches that needed to be investigated.

FYI, any time there is an alert or anomaly then it is logged in a file for 30 days. So I record the time-date stamp for service to investigate.

Meanwhile, Ive purchased “Hyde's Serum Rustopper” as the final dressing after my wheel cleaning SOP. So after using rust get, BrakeBuster, scrubbing and cleaning with barrel brush and wheel mit to get completely inside, I use my blower and microfiber towels to completely dry everything off. Then I will spray Rustopper. I’ll certainly post to let you all know how this works out.

Cleaning my wheels alone now takes 1 hour! 😎
I'm pretty sure the rust will come off the rotor hats using a wire brush after removing the wheels ... but they will quickly rust again unless they are coated with with something. I'm curious to know what "complimentary scrubbing and refinishing of the rotors mean"?

My service advisor is telling me that this is a universal feature of all Lucid Airs. Do y’all have rusted rotors too?

I hope Peter Rawlinson sees this post (and pictures)… do you think he would approve?

He was the architect of the Tesla Model S and my 2016 and 2018 Model S vehicles had no such rust. I have 2 Lincoln’s and they have no such rust.
I have same issue but mine is being taken care of at the service free of charge my car only has 3800 miles 4 month old.

I had my guy apply high heat ceramic paint to that inner part almost 2 years ago and still holding up perfectly today. The other parts will rub off with brake usage as has been mentioned above.

I had my guy apply high heat ceramic paint to that inner part almost 2 years ago and still holding up perfectly today. The other parts will rub off with brake usage as has been mentioned above.
I was thinking of pulling off the wheels one of these days, wire brushing the rust from the hat face, then painting the hat with high heat paint. My concern is that the paint between the wheel mounting surface and hat face will just come off the next time the wheel is removed. So you've had no problem with paint coming off the hat face when the wheel is removed?

For those that are unsure ... NEVER apply anything to the rotor surfaces. This is the portion of the rotors that engage the brake pads. Any rust on these surfaces will instantly come off when the brakes are applied. If you wish to quickly remove the rust, set the drive mode to low regen the next time you drive.

I was thinking of pulling off the wheels one of these days, wire brushing the rust from the hat face, then painting the hat with high heat paint. My concern is that the paint between the wheel mounting surface and hat face will just come off the next time the wheel is removed. So you've had no problem with paint coming off the hat face when the wheel is removed?

For those that are unsure ... NEVER apply anything to the rotor surfaces. This is the portion of the rotors that engage the brake pads. Any rust on these surfaces will instantly come off when the brakes are applied. If you wish to quickly remove the rust, set the drive mode to low regen the next time you drive.
No problems so far! 🤞🏼🤞🏼

One of the reasons our transit bus agency went away from steel wheels was paint between the hub and the wheel. If the paint in the hub or wheels is too thick it can cause lug nuts to lose torque as the paint wears.

One of the reasons our transit bus agency went away from steel wheels was paint between the hub and the wheel. If the paint in the hub or wheels is too thick it can cause lug nuts to lose torque as the paint wears.
Interesting ... So they went to non-steel wheels and left the paint?

Aluminum wheels no paint. Paint was on the wheels to prevent rust. Real problem was if a mechanic painted the wheel with out fully removing old paint. The extra thick coating would wear off and the lugs would be loose. Yes 99% of the time it was painted correctly. And 99% of the time the wheels were retorqued periodically. But with 1000s of buses we did loose a wheel now and them, hence the move to aluminum wheels.

I'm pretty sure the rust will come off the rotor hats using a wire brush after removing the wheels ... but they will quickly rust again unless they are coated with with something. I'm curious to know what "complimentary scrubbing and refinishing of the rotors mean"?
That is my question...how do I remove the wheels? Will a typical car jack work? If so, I can handle it myself...remove the wheels, scrub a dub, srpay on rust prevention and put wheels back on...right now they look corroded :(

That is my question...how do I remove the wheels? Will a typical car jack work? If so, I can handle it myself...remove the wheels, scrub a dub, srpay on rust prevention and put wheels back on...right now they look corroded :(
You could jack it up and remove the wheels yourself, just like any other car.

Do make sure that your car jack is rated for the weight of the vehicle!

... or call mobile service to do it. that you have to ask how to remove the wheels kinda concerns me. I hope I'm just misunderstanding.

and now a message from our sponsor:

For those who have never changed a wheel...umm ... practice on another car. It seems simple enough but ... you can f this up and not know it.

this is a very heavy car, so a proper- rated floor jack is required = nothing "discount brand",
and a hard, level surface, like concrete.
asphalt won't do: you'll just pump the jack into the ground without raising the car much, and it will continue to sink into the asphalt while you are trying to get the wheel off. Maybe put plywood under the jack to spread the load if you have to do this on a driveway or street.

also a torque wench (ha) of high quality (please not Harbor Freight, etal), and a star lug wrench for speed (not necessary) a breaker bar (don't use a torque wrench to break your nuts free) and wheel chocks. Oh. You might want to turn the shock and tilt alarm off first.

If you have vinyl covers over the lug nuts the tongs that come with the vinyl covers (auto parts store) be very handy, otherwise some leather gloves to remove the aero covers, which have sharp edges and take some muscle/technique. You will need to yank on these plastic covers with enough force that you think they will break.
check the tires carefully once off , both the tread and inside/outside sidewalls= check for cuts, nails and screws, bubbles...check the side of the tire that is normally towards the car whilst you can. If you have a ding or curb rash on the rim check the tire sidewall in that area carefully. bubbles can be hard to see but once the sidewall cords are broken it's game over.
Each wheel should have a marking inside indicating where it goes. RF, LF, RR, LR. check that no wheel weights are missing. while the wheel is off check all you can in the wheel well and elsewhere. look for damage, missing fasteners, check the aero wedges in front of the front wheels are there and the rear edge fasteners are in
-- or just marvel at how it's built. If you have never gaszed at the underside of this car now's the time. It's an F1 under there. You could lower it to 3 centimeters no problem...thing would suck paint off the lane markers. This car is the most aircraft-like I've ever owned. Driving it is flying it, so do a proper walk-around and pre-flight inspection.

The most important part of the job is seating and star- torquing the lug nuts. After about 50 miles you should check the torque on the lug nuts in case you missed one or the wheel was miss-seated on the hub...something weird like that....this is important on such a powerful car. I know, the pros never do this, but you already have the torque wrench so why not? Even the pros can miss one occasionally. Click and Clack (PBS Car Talk) had a mechanic in their shop who insisted he would not pass inspection on a car wtih no hub caps. He said if a wheel nut came loose it would rattle in the hub cover so you'd know immediately. He has a very good point. I had a HS buddy who "did his own work" on a '65 GT 350 Shelby Mustang. On a drive one day his right front wheel passed him and two cars in front of him before it ran into the woods. That was fun.

tires brakes wheels .... everything else can go to hell but make sure these bits are good. Test drive a few miles before you go on a trip or take it to speed. OK I'm a bit paranoid ... I just don't trust anyone working on my cars = I always check their work. You should see the collection of Snap-On tools I've found in my cars over the decades.

or better yet have Lucid Mobile service do it and watch them. if you can afford the car you can afford the pros.

Back on topic:
or might I suggest that Lucid does have rust-free brakes: carbon / ceramic w/ floating hub and forged wheels. oou la la
1714698609673.jpeg
no rust: kinda pricey though

In a few years I'm goona pick one of these bad boys up on the second-owner market. count on it. and I said the Lucid GT would be my last car...Peter had other ideas for me...sneaky Welshman. I bet he has a roadster up his sleeve too. Dammit.

Attachments

• 1714690283387.jpeg
    1714690283387.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 25
... or call mobile service to do it. that you have to ask how to remove the wheels kinda concerns me. I hope I'm just misunderstanding.
I think the question was referring to 'Is this just like any other car or is this some insane thing because it's an EV and/or a Lucid?'

The rest of the post implied pretty clearly (to me, at least) that jacking up the vehicle and changing the wheels (as a process itself) wasn't much of a question.

Not sure what a "typical" car jack means to you, but the service manager at the local showroom/service center told me today that they use a 2 ton bottle jack to jack up the Air in the field if they have to change a single wheel at a time. We were discussing the EZ Spare kit which he said the 2 1/2 ton scissor jack they sell also works fine.

First off, consider professional help if you are unsure of your ability. Assess whether or not removing the rust is worth the effort. I looked around the parking lot on my way to my car and noticed that many cars have rust on their hubs so it is quite normal. It's usually not noticeable unless you're right next to the wheels.

"Typical car jack" can really mean anything. I'd recommend a quality floor jack with something on the saddle to evenly distribute the load ensuring the jack's saddle doesn't damage the underbody. A lot of people use hockey pucks. Although Lucid doesn't provide jacking points for the Air, it appears the typical frame locations near the tires are correct. This is a screen grab of the Air's underbody from Munro Live. As you can see, one must be very careful the jack doesn't slip inboard or outboard. Slipping inboard risks damaging the HV battery pack and slipping out risks damaging the side skirts. I would caution against using rust prevention on the hubs unless you are VERY careful to prevent overspray on the rotor face and wheel studs. Consider using anti-seize on the wheel studs when putting everything back together.

underbody.jpg

I think the question was referring to 'Is this just like any other car or is this some insane thing because it's an EV and/or a Lucid?'

The rest of the post implied pretty clearly (to me, at least) that jacking up the vehicle and changing the wheels (as a process itself) wasn't much of a question.
Thanks for that...yes, I know how to change a tire but on a car that doesnt weigh a gazillion times more than normal. Yes I can afford a professional but I felt like I messed it up I should fix it...if it wasnt too difficult but at this point I think I will see if Discount Tires can do it or the Lucid service tech that is local.
thanks for everyone's advice :)

Back